D&D 5E Best Fighting Style+Weapon+Feats for Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
I'd actually shoot for Lv. 8 with Resilient (CON). That's one level before you'd get Haste, and you REALLY want to keep concentration on that one.

So, with the Variant Human, I'd recommend:
Lv. 1: PAM
Lv. 4: GWM or +2 STR (depending on your party makeup)
Lv. 8: Resilient (CON)
Lv. 12: +2 STR (or GWM if you didn't take it earlier)

Oh so Haste is a big part of this build too? (sry for the noobness)
I didnt quite got time to read your whole guide in detail etc.
There is a situation though, the DM said that the campagin should end around level 10. With maybe a small possiblity of extending it.. but thats not for sure...

Haste when you can spend a Lv. 3 slot, and Bless and/or Hunter's Mark when you can't.

And here's something good with Bless specifically, with Resilient (CON):
+2 CON +2 CHA +4 proficiency +1 minimum Bless = auto-save vs. DC 10 concentration saves

Gavin O.

First Post
Amazing info! Thanks a lot!

What about Sentinel? You dont think is good for this kind of build?
Would you take Sentinel instead of GWM or +2 Strenght at level 4 or level 8?

Oh, and lets assume I will definetly take GWF as my fighting style too.

You're welcome :)

Sentinel is a good feat, the problem is you're extremely feat starved in the early levels. I would definitely consider taking it eventually, but you can't fit it in early since it's not as useful as GWM, Polearm Master, or +2 Strength. The main problem with Sentinel is that the third ability (which gives you an opportunity attack against a creature who attacks someone other than you) only works if you're within 5 feet of that creature, and since you're wielding a polearm you want to keep your distance from creatures, attack them with your 10-foot reach and then back off so they trigger an opportunity attack from Polearm Master for getting close to you. Plus, you already have polearm master giving you something to do with your reactions, and you can only take one reaction per round.

TLDR: Sentinel isn't bad, you just don't have room for it.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
Haste when you can spend a Lv. 3 slot, and Bless and/or Hunter's Mark when you can't.

And here's something good with Bless specifically, with Resilient (CON):
+2 CON +2 CHA +4 proficiency +1 minimum Bless = auto-save vs. DC 10 concentration saves

Got it! Really interesting combo right there!

You're welcome :)

Sentinel is a good feat, the problem is you're extremely feat starved in the early levels. I would definitely consider taking it eventually, but you can't fit it in early since it's not as useful as GWM, Polearm Master, or +2 Strength. The main problem with Sentinel is that the third ability (which gives you an opportunity attack against a creature who attacks someone other than you) only works if you're within 5 feet of that creature, and since you're wielding a polearm you want to keep your distance from creatures, attack them with your 10-foot reach and then back off so they trigger an opportunity attack from Polearm Master for getting close to you. Plus, you already have polearm master giving you something to do with your reactions, and you can only take one reaction per round.

TLDR: Sentinel isn't bad, you just don't have room for it.

Understood! Its a matter of priorities!

CTurbo

Explorer
I think you're getting a lot of the answers you expected, and they're great answers, but I'd probably go vhuman sword and board(dueling) with the Heavy Armor Mastery feat at level 1, then pump Str +2 at level 4 and the +2 to Char at level 8. You would start with 16str, 14con, and 16char, and have Str and Char to 18 by level 8. Your party will appreciate your bonus +4 to all saves after level 6. You only have to be conscious for it to be on so your 20 AC and damage reduction will come a long way to keep you standing. Your entire party will be better with this character in the group. You'll still always be great at damage with your smites. I would not be happy with only having a 14 in char no matter what.

If you're really all about offense, I'd take the Defense Fighting style, PAM at lvl 1 and then pump Str and Char at levels 4 and 8. I don't care for the GWF style, and I do prefer PAM to GWM on Pally's since you can smite more often if you need to.

Asgorath

Explorer
My favourite is still sword and board with Dueling fighting style and Shield Master at level 1. You can bonus action shove people prone before your attack(s), basically granting near-permanent advantage on your attacks. I'll typically combine Hunter's Mark with Vow of Enmity since you don't need the shove there, I took Resilient (Con) at level 4 to make it easier to keep up concentration (esp at 6+). It's certainly not as damaging as a GWM/PAM build, but I just really enjoy slamming people with my shield.

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
I'd actually shoot for Lv. 8 with Resilient (CON). That's one level before you'd get Haste, and you REALLY want to keep concentration on that one.

So, with the Variant Human, I'd recommend:
Lv. 4: GWM or +2 STR (depending on your party makeup)
Lv. 8: Resilient (CON)
Lv. 12: +2 STR (or GWM if you didn't take it earlier)

The thing is.. the Campaign will end at Level 10.. so maybe that build would be too long?

Vitor Bastos

Explorer
I could go:

- Variant Human> STR16, CHA15, CON13, WIS12, DEX10, INT08
Lv. 4: +2 STR or GWM (if somebody on my party can boost my chance of hitting)
Lv. 8: +2 STR or GWM (depending of what I took lvl4)

- Half-Elf> STR16, CHA16, CON14, WIS12, DEX10, INT08
Lv. 1: +2CHA, +1STR, +1COIN
Lv. 4: PAM
Lv. 8: GWM

what do you think?

Asgorath

Explorer
The thing is.. the Campaign will end at Level 10.. so maybe that build would be too long?

You've been asking about this on several different forums and in several different threads. I think we've given you a pretty solid idea of what you can do with a level 10 Paladin, so at some point you'll just have to decide what your preference is.

Personally, I wouldn't do a Polearm build with anything other than a Variant Human, and if you're doing a hard stop at 10 I don't think I'd even attempt a Polearm build. Gladius Legius spelled out how you would do one though:

Level 1: PAM
Level 4: GWM (or +2 STR if there's nobody who can cast Bless or give you a reliable form of advantage)
Level 8: Resilient (CON)

Haste is a huge part of this build, so you really need Resilient (CON) at level 8.

Remove ads