• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best FR novels of all time?

Anything by Erin Evans, though--as I said--that brings you up into 4E and 5E time periods.

Bruce Cordell's Sword of the Gods books are fantastic, though they two are also 4E. Alas, there are plot points left hanging for a third book that never materialized, but they're good reads anyway.

Huntsman57

First Post
I'm currently in the middle of re-reading Homeland. Man what a great novel. I still enjoy the new ones, but they just don't write em like that anymore.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
For sheer bang endings you can't beat Gauntlegrim. I don't know where I might place it as far as greatness, but damn, that is how a dwarf should go out!

I liked RAS's Transitions trilogy, if only as a nice good bye to characters I had spent a dozen books coming to love. Especially the ends of Deudermont and Cadderly.

Dargrimm

First Post
The Moonshae Trilogy was my introduction to the Realms more than 25 years ago (and it was my second fantasy trilogy after the Chronicles of the Dragonlance) so it has a very warm spot in my heart. Haven't read it again in more than a 15 years so I'm not sure how well it aged but I remember it fondly.

Mirtek

Hero
Aything from Evans and Cunningham, stay away from anything by Greenwood (or stick to Knights of Myth Drannor if you must read some of his novels) and for the sake if your sanity stay away from the three BG video game novels

S'mon

Legend
I got the first ca dozen Driz'zty books back in the 80s-90s, the very weak Horde trilogy, and Darkwalker on Moonshae. The only one I kept was The Crystal Shard - predating TSR Ethics Code, predating Driz'zt-fanboism (he's a support character!), it's a not bad swords & sorcery novel.

Li Shenron

Legend
How recent is too recent? Because honestly, for all the controversy surrounding the game itself, some truly fantastic FR novels came out of the 4E era.

I don't mind how recent, it's only that at the library they don't have yet books which are too new (e.g. last couple of years).

Remove ads