Best game for God of War-esque action?

Klaus

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Here, read this:

20070319.jpg

God of War don't pansy around. Sure, the game ain't infallible, but it's a dang site more cool than most fantasy adventure games. Now what I'm wondering, my friends, is why the hell I can't be like Kratos (the protagonist of God of War) in my D&D games, without having to roll tons of dice and add ridiculous stat modifiers.

Let's see, Kratos dual-wields flaming falcata that can swift at a moment's notice into 20-ft. long flaming lashes, which he can use to stab the bodies of his foes and pull them around the battlefield, sometimes hurling his foes into each other. He can rip men's bodies in half, can tear the heads off medusas, and has enough strength to grapple a colossal hydra. He can channel the magic of the gods (though arguably these are magic items, not class abilities), and has managed to come back from the dead twice, albeit with some divine assistance.

His Balance check sucks. Kratos's one fatal weakness is having to walk on narrow things.

I can't imagine trying to run God of War as a D&D game. D&D just doesn't let you have fun with throwing and snapping the same way God of War does. Maybe Mutants & Masterminds? Exalted? What do you think?
There's a system for that.

It's called freeform.

GM: A mighty colossus, easily 1000-feet tall, stomps towards you, breaking the ground with each stride!

Player: $¨%&# YEAH! I run towards it, drawing the sword I received from the King of Gods. When the colossus takes his next step, I run up his front leg up to the knee and jump towards his heart with a mighty leap, for I am KRATOS!!!!!

GM: !#¨$&#$ YEAH!

Player: @¨#¨$¨& YEAH!

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
[h1]Exalted[/h1]

If you're trying for the God of War feel you really want Exalted. The first thing I thought when I saw the trailer for the first time was "That Guy Played Exalted"

The_Universe

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Here, read this:

20070319.jpg

God of War don't pansy around. Sure, the game ain't infallible, but it's a dang site more cool than most fantasy adventure games. Now what I'm wondering, my friends, is why the hell I can't be like Kratos (the protagonist of God of War) in my D&D games, without having to roll tons of dice and add ridiculous stat modifiers.

Let's see, Kratos dual-wields flaming falcata that can swift at a moment's notice into 20-ft. long flaming lashes, which he can use to stab the bodies of his foes and pull them around the battlefield, sometimes hurling his foes into each other. He can rip men's bodies in half, can tear the heads off medusas, and has enough strength to grapple a colossal hydra. He can channel the magic of the gods (though arguably these are magic items, not class abilities), and has managed to come back from the dead twice, albeit with some divine assistance.

His Balance check sucks. Kratos's one fatal weakness is having to walk on narrow things.

I can't imagine trying to run God of War as a D&D game. D&D just doesn't let you have fun with throwing and snapping the same way God of War does. Maybe Mutants & Masterminds? Exalted? What do you think?
Mutants and Masterminds, dude - all the way. Just as crazy, just as customizable, just one die to roll.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
God of War = Win all time!

God of War II > existence. ;)

In any case I now go back to my other project, my Naruto/Kratos/Sephiroth fan fic. ;)

SWBaxter

First Post
Of the games currently on my shelf, I'd use HeroQuest. Extended contests with lots of narrative stunts would lend themselves well to this kind of action.

I might try also Iron Heroes, but it sounds like the stunts would require some pretty high level play, and that can be a bit of a pain to work up. Ditto Hero, which I'm sure could do it but again making up characters and such might take a while. I could also fake it with a much lighter system, but I think all the stunts that lead up to finally beating a critter should be more than pure narration.

Of games not on my shelf, I'd go with Exalted. From all I've heard, it's pretty much made for this genre.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Risus, with my Kumquat Tattoo rules for Awesome Actions and Total BS Actions (possibly with the cap lifted for Total BS Actions). The setting info, of course, would have to be jettisoned.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'm not really a fan, but yes, Exalted. If I was looking for a system for this, I might go that way.

Or yeah, BESM (from what people have been saying).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Ranger,

Hardly. I admit to be shocked by the latest Naruto manga, but I assure you, it's very, very un-yaoi. No sex, but blood to feed the vampire nations of five different worlds. ;)

It's basically watching three of the baddest ass people I know fight. Well two out of three.

Remove ads