• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best game for God of War-esque action?

Hey all! :)

Interesting discussion. I don't think core D&D as written is great for this sort of visceral combat.

So what I did was create something I call Metamartial Maneouvres to try and make them more accessible. My initial inspiration was Hong Kong wuxia movies, but it works just as well with God of War.

The full rules comprise about 2 pages of text within the Immortals Handbook: Ascension. So its very quick and simple.

Simply put you have a list of about 20 different attack actions (stagger, kill, knockdown, knockout, knockback etc. etc.). Each is assigned a certain BAB penalty. You simply state which actions you want to do, total the penalties and apply them to your BAB.

So lets say your PC is fighting 20 mooks on the top of a castle keep. You could use Widen Attack (which is an epic metamartial maneouvre) to strike every foe with 15 feet, and add in Mighty Attack to knock them all back 20 feet off the top of the Keep. You apply the BAB penalties, roll your attack roll, and all those you hit make a Reflex save (DC = Adjusted Attack Roll) or are knocked back off the Keep.

What I didn't have before tonight were rules for throwing, but I just worked those out and I'll add those in to the book tomorrow. At strength 71 you should be able to throw a typical human about a mile, or throw an iron golem about 80 ft. :D

So to answer the initial question the official D&D rules are not ideal for this sort of freeform fluid combat, but with a little tweaking here and there they can be. ;)

Celebrim

Legend
Nightfall said:
Celebrim,

Just because there doesn't APPEAR to be a system for RW, doesn't mean there can never be beyond his imagination.

Unless you think RW is trolling, bored, or perhaps hoping beyond hope to become Krakos(sp). ;)

No. I'm just curious as to what mechanics would actually satisfy RW.

For example, BESM doesn't support alot of what RW asked for directly in the combat system, but the BESM contingent suggests tweaking some super powers to achieve the desired results of dismemberment. Give Kratos some combination of the Nullify/Drain/Mimic abilities, presumably enhanced to permanent duration, limited to the natural weaponry ability, presumably altered to based on a Body check rather than a Soul Stat check, and etc. I think that I'd want this package of abilities to become called shot options (much like for example the existing 'by pass armor' or 'strike vitals') available to everyone in the campaign at some power rank dependent on ones super strength, but that might be just me. Upper Krust comes out swinging by saying you can achieve the right results by adding epic metamartial manuevers to D20. Both tweaks basically broaden your tactical options over a default level.

Upper Krust said:
So to answer the initial question the official D&D rules are not ideal for this sort of freeform fluid combat, but with a little tweaking here and there they can be.

That seems to be correct to me, and especially coming from such a fearsome rules smith I'm not going to argue. The problem though is that it also seems to be very generally applicable. Any system can be tweaked to broaden you tactical options. I still wonder whether or not there will still usuably be one single best tactic (for example, grappling/throwing in BESM requires two actions instead of one and generally does less damage than simply attacking with a weapon) and whether the availability of more options (trip, bullrush, overrun) will necessarily actually place them into a game regularly and lead to more cinematic description of combat rather than 'I use my nullify ability on the harpy's talons.' even if they are used.

I can definately see how a system can help lead you away from stale metagame language, but I don't think it can make you go there.

What is it that RW wants? Does he want the same experience of Gods of War in a pen and paper game? Does he just want more realistic tactical options than, 'full attack'?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
What does RW want?

He wants what is best in life: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Right? ;)

Aust Diamondew

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Let's see, Kratos dual-wields flaming falcata that can swift at a moment's notice into 20-ft. long flaming lashes, which he can use to stab the bodies of his foes and pull them around the battlefield, sometimes hurling his foes into each other. He can rip men's bodies in half, can tear the heads off medusas, and has enough strength to grapple a colossal hydra. He can channel the magic of the gods (though arguably these are magic items, not class abilities), and has managed to come back from the dead twice, albeit with some divine assistance.

Sounds like you could duplicate this with a mid-high level fighter who has a really really high strength score, like 40-60 range, (proably high abilities all around too) and couple of cool magical weapons. Proaably has a feat that lets him grapple foes with the lashes, obviously has TWF and proably power attack and cleave like any good warrior.
If I actually had played the game I'd try to stat him out.

Reading this description though has convinced me I should go and check God of War.

Celebrim

Legend
Nightfall said:
He wants what is best in life: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Right? ;)

Certainly.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." - Ghengis Khan

But if that's all he wants, he can get it from D20 just fine. The Great Khan is not one that worry about looking cool when he fought. He knew that tasting victory is sweeter than looking cool while you were doing it. He would know that those that wanted to live life with 'style' were fools, since victory was always and the only thing that was stylish and weakness was always lame regardless of how elegant you looked. I don't think the Great Khan would be all that impressed with Wuxia, and at the risk of offending some people, I don't think he'd be all that impressed with what has passed as 'eastern martial arts' in popular culture for the last 40 years or so.

I mentioned the fact that the USA National basketball now loses to teams like Greece earlier. I direct you to Pride and the UFC. Alot of people have claimed that the big problem with the sports is that the fighters don't look very stylish when they are kicking butt. I would also note how many Kung Fu fighters have been successful in those arenas, or for example how many Japanese fighters raised on eastern martial arts are in the top ranks of Japanese MMA associations.

But now I'm entirely digressing, and I suspect so were you.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Cel,

I'm always digressing. If I don't digress at least once a post, I feel empty and rumbling inside. ;)

Oh wait that's digesting. Still almost the same thing. :] :lol:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
thedungeondelver said:

Pfft. Oh stop. They take nine years and everybody knows it! :p

:D

Look the fight can't take that long - its only a solo game after all.
but its one against a horde - did all the opponents get built from scratch ? in HERO?
I'm not running that one.

wait a minute -
One story teller, one hero, 4 people making bad-guys and running their actions in combat.

these bad guy builders are the best number crunchers, the Hero is the most imaginative player, the Storyteller is the best at describing scenery and plots- Would this work as a game? It would certainly fit the skills of the people I play with.

MadWand

First Post
Definitely Exalted. It is the only system I am aware of in which both the game setting and physics thereof explicity reward looking cool. Use any system you want, but some players will never have the imagination to do any more than say "I hit him with my axe." Exalted encourages players to go beyond this and describe actions cinematically, rewarding them for doing so. The difference between this and any generic system like GURPS, Hery System, and BESM is amazing, although I agree that you can approach it if you have a great group of players and DM who are all in agreement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads