Best Gaming room and Game table setups!

Frostmarrow

First Post
We usually play at a friend's game-store. This is really, really great. First, there is a coke vending machine which we open up so we can buy coke for our special discount price. We take turns bringing coffey. The room itself features a sturdy wooden table with eight semi-comfy chairs and two extra tables for the DM. On the table we have two extra-large Chessex battle-mats. The store is chock-full of minis, both painted and unpainted. (This is great as you can go into the store and pick out the perfect mini for your newly created character or a model building if the game calls for it.)

There is a pizza-parlour nearby and so is the local McDonalds. When we arrive the owner has put a pile of new books at our respective seats that we are expected to buy. :D Once I forgot my dice so I simply picked up a new set on the spot.

The room is in the basement so there are only two small windows located at ceiling/ground level. The store is in a quiet neighborhood. On the wall behind the DM there is a black curtain with a jester's hat motif complete with bells. (Which the DM is expected to jingle whenever someone levels up!)

As we attend the store after business-hours we are never disturbed even though we often game for twelve hours. Etiquette demands that all cell-phones are turned off. The world could come to an end and we would never know. There is no television, no radio, no music, no computer just pens, paper, dice and imagination.

God, I love this game.

Attachments

• narrenlogga28.gif
    narrenlogga28.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,398

gariig

First Post
Can people post prices. Unfortunately, not all of us are made of money and are HS/college aged. I'm looking to improve on my gaming situation. We are using our dining room table and it can BARELY seat the 6 of us and it doesn't have room for DM stuff so I need a side table for that. I was wondering prices on like tables(where is a good place for one) and the plexiglass is interesting for my important maps(How much is it?).

Gariig

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Shop around. Prices vary wildly for furniture and stuff like plexiglass. I'd tell you what my stuff cost, but I don't remember.

Ninja-to

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
We usually play at a friend's game-store. This is really, really great. First, there is a coke vending machine which we open up so we can buy coke for our special discount price. We take turns bringing coffey. The room itself features a sturdy wooden table with eight semi-comfy chairs and two extra tables for the DM. On the table we have two extra-large Chessex battle-mats. The store is chock-full of minis, both painted and unpainted. (This is great as you can go into the store and pick out the perfect mini for your newly created character or a model building if the game calls for it.)

There is a pizza-parlour nearby and so is the local McDonalds. When we arrive the owner has put a pile of new books at our respective seats that we are expected to buy. :D Once I forgot my dice so I simply picked up a new set on the spot.

The room is in the basement so there are only two small windows located at ceiling/ground level. The store is in a quiet neighborhood. On the wall behind the DM there is a black curtain with a jester's hat motif complete with bells. (Which the DM is expected to jingle whenever someone levels up!)

As we attend the store after business-hours we are never disturbed even though we often game for twelve hours. Etiquette demands that all cell-phones are turned off. The world could come to an end and we would never know. There is no television, no radio, no music, no computer just pens, paper, dice and imagination.

God, I love this game.

My God.

There IS a heaven.

John Morrow

First Post
FoxWander said:
What's the perfect gaming table?

Whatever table you go with, consider getting some half-circle wooden molding, paint it with tough glossy paint, and put it around the entire edge of the top of the table like a little wall to keep things on the table. A friend's father built a gaming table when I was a kid and he put an edge like that on the table and it really helps keep the dice, counters, and spilled drinks from getting onto the floor.

What would YOU like to have in the perfect gaming room??

An overhead mounted projector monitor and a flat screen monitor with a computer that can handle two monitors. :)

Chaldfont

First Post
Something I've found really helpful is (well, I think this is what it is) an old, cheap printer stand I picked up at Goodwill. It's just shorter than the table and maybe a foot square on top. Its great for setting books, minis, a pint glass, dice, etc on so they are off the table until needed. I can put books inside the bottom too. Since its low, I can put DM notes or on-deck minis and the players can't see them.

I'd love to get a few more for the players, so they can keep their food & drink off the table and free up more space for maps & such.

Keep an eye out for good chairs at Goodwill or garage sales. Our old kitchen table (which is older than I am) has several chairs that are collapsing under aeons of use and re-repairs.

Whiteboards are great--I got one from my office salvage sale for a buck. We use it every session. Thin strips of corkboard for hanging maps and such on the walls would be pretty cool. We hang up dead character sheets on our Valhalla wall. I'm thinking of mounting one of those huge-mongous National Geographic world maps on the wall too. How cool would that be for D20 Modern/Spycraft games?

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
My house has a large family room in the basement. I picked up one of those 6' folding tables at Office Depot for about $30. Unfortunately, it wasn't long enough so I put a card table at the end and now it works just fine. We use a wet erase battlemat and initiative counter that are taped to the table (so they don't slide off). I also use a TV tray/table to set my GM screen on - which sits off to the side (I don't like having the screen in front of me).

For more details, here's some pictures:

Click here

3catcircus

Adventurer
If I had my way, it'd be a setup like we have in the conference room at work...

A large table with a built-in A/V setup that is spring-loaded and in the center of the table to hook up a laptop to, with a projector in the ceiling that displays on a motorized screen...

JamesL85

First Post
This is a little dated (before laptops with overhead projectors), but I still remember thinking that it was pretty cool.....The Ultimate Gaming Table!!!

But even better was a link to a group that had an artist paint murals on the walls. I know there was one wall with a huge red dragon on it, and another that had an archway similar to the cover for the original Undermountain boxed set, but I can't find the link!!!! I'll do some more looking......

James

MarkAHart

Explorer
Our group plays at my house, in the" library" area (where most of my bookshelves are). We use three sturdy folding tables, with one table perpendicular to the other two, thus forming a rectangular table surface. For chairs, I purchased a set of heavy duty, but comfortable, chairs from a used office supply store...brand new, the chairs cost $600 apiece (commerical office furniture always seems overpriced when new), but only cost me $75 apiece.

For the DM, I use a drafting table, set flat. This gives the DM his own space for screen, notes, etc.

Typically, everyone brings their own snacks, although people share what they bring. For soda, I have a fountain Coke machine (although I've given up drinking the stuff myself), and each person chips in $2 if they drink soda.

Since we are up to 8 players and 1 DM, I'm going to have to do some rearranging of the room to try and squeeze everyone in, although it will still be "cozy" to some extent.

We use a battlemat on the table, as well as Tact-Tiles. For quick sketches, we have a whiteboard on a tripod. All in all, this set-up works quite nicely.

Remove ads