Best Gaming room and Game table setups!

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I use my second bedroom for a gameroom.

I have two folding tables from Office Depot -- I think they're 3'x8', or 6'x8' together -- and have hung various gaming maps (and Buffy and concert posters) on the walls. We use a megamat in the center of the table(s). I use a TV cart to hold DM supplies and miscellaneous stuff (SteelSqwire, magnetic tokens, Dungeon Stamps, Vis a Vis pens, and so on). Although I hate using computers at the table, the room is equipped with a broadband jack, just in case. I have a separate board for building Master Maze setups on ahead of time. I use shelves in the closet to hold all of the most referenced books (aside from those that are actually in play); shelves in my living room hold my hundreds of other D20 books and thousands of D&D miniatures.

The gameroom is pretty nice to have. It's easily big enough to comfortably hold a DM and six players. It's nice enough, anyway, that I keep paying the extra $400 a month or so in rent, rather than get a smaller place. (Come to think of it, I might start asking folks to pop in $5 or so a session to defray the extra cost. That'd come to $150 or so a month. Hmmm.)

Brottor Dankil

First Post
FoxWander said:
I'll be rearranging my house soon and plan to turn the downstairs family room into a gaming room and figured this would be the best place to get advice on what the best setup might be. I really want to make a room that has both a good gaming atmosphere and is setup the best possible way for ease and enjoyment of gaming. Some of my specific musings concern...

What's the perfect gaming table?
- A whiteboard surface with etched grid? Easy to get to for moving minis/counters but can be awkward to write on.
- Gridsheet under plexiglass? Same as above, but character sheets and notes can be tucked under glass to protect from drinks, etc.
- Normal table with whiteboard/grid on the wall? Easier to write on but how to stick minis/counters to it.

Should I use a table at all?
- A table can keep players focused but can be uncomfortable for long sessions.
- Sitting on recliners and sofas is more comfy but may be too comfy. Lack of focus, need character sheet and dice rolling surfaces, no easily accessible map for ease of combat.

Gameroom snacks?
- Start a group snack fund or fend for yourselves?

These are just what I can come up with after being awake all night. Please hurl as many comments and suggestions as your carpal tunnel can stand!

What would YOU like to have in the perfect gaming room??

I would suggest Tact-Tiles for your gaming surface (www.bc-products.net). Excellent dry-erase surface with interlocking tiles. Make the surface as small as 10" x 10" or as large as you want, the tiles are modular.

You can pre-draw, revealing one tile at a time if you want. Really speeds up gameplay. ;)

-Brottor

Roadkill101

Explorer
I've got a spare room (for now) in the basement. At one time it was setup for a gaming/generalized library room, and it slowly became the catch-all junk room for the house. I have a large rectangular table down there and a 4'X8' piece of tile board on top of that, that I'd marked off in 1/2" squares and used a dry erase marker on top of that, to resolve combat. The tile board hangs over the table edges maybe 4" per side which can be a bit of a problem if someone puts a lot of pressure on the edge. But like I said the room has become the junk room, and most of my gaming is done at a friends place.
So I am currently in the process of looking into using either vinyl flooring of vinyl fabric to create a battle mat from. Actually, I plan on making several mats, one for my downstairs table and one to take to my friends (his table is smaller than mine).
Once I get the room cleaned up again, I plan on adding/doing the following things to create atmosphere.
Paint the walls with a faux stone finish. Add functioning oil lamps (using scented oils) or use candles and wall mounted candle holders, to provide mood lighting (I already have a black lamp in place, it can create a bit of a creepy feeling in conjunction with several candles so you can look things up clearly as necessary).
Scatter the bookshelves and storage cabinets in several locations (with all necessary reference material closest to the GM's seat) along the walls. Including a small fridge.
Add to my collection of medieval weapons to hang along the walls (so far I've got a sword to hang up).
I have an ash-tray that is molded like skull (top comes off) to use as a center-piece on the table.
And eventually, I'd like to put in a second bathroom, my house only has one and it's upstairs.
The ideas of using a laptop or overhead projector are really nice, but unless one has the time (which I don't) to learn and use the necessary applications, they can be difficult to incorporate, not to mention potentially costly.

Talic

First Post
Yep, it's official. I lost the photos of the completed table, so I'll have to retake them next time we play.

Fortunately, I did still have the 3D computer model I used to design the thing. So I Took a lil time to apply some materials to the model and export some images. Here's what we hoped it would be. Final product is close, minus some of the details so far.

Highlights:
-5 individual player stations
.-2 Dice pits/cup holders each
.-Book storage slots between stations
.-Tack Board for each station
.-Player attention focused on DM

-Individual DM station
.-4 Dice pit/cup holders
.-Book storage slots
.-Tack board
.-Clear slot for inserts
.-Walls fold down for sorage under table