Best High level Archer Build?

dagger

Adventurer
I fixed some errors in my above post, I think he is a pretty damn good archer for just a 5th level fighter.

The 2nd level of Order of the Bow Initate is very important as well because it allows you to fire in someones threatned space with no AoO's.....

Lamoni

First Post
It sounds like I just need more material before building an archer. All the recommendations include material that I don't have access to. I don't have Sword and Fist. I don't know where to find the persistant spell feat. I don't know what FRCS stands for, but that is probably because it is stuff I don't have. Things I have are: The 3.5 PHB, Defenders of the Faith, and Masters of the Wild. I haven't read through Masters of the Wild, but I did notice a deepwoods sniper prestige class.

Anyway, to say that dwarven defender doesn't help an archer isn't quite true. It seems like one of the bigger weaknesses of archers is having to run and shoot or stay in the back because their armor class and hit points are low. The dwarven defender class would allow better saves, higher strength to prevent being overrun or tripped, higher AC, and a lot of temporary hit points brom the constitution boost. True, that doesn't help the offense much, but it helps to be able to take repeated full round attacks instead of moving around to stay alive.

I like the idea of archery because it can be effective in melee, ranged, and against flying creatures. That is what I dislike about my character now. It does great in melee, but if they can run or fly, I am not very effective.

I retract my question because it seems like there are a lot of good archer builds, just not with what I own.

Thanee

First Post
FRCS = Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Persistant Spell is in there, too. Also in Tome & Blood I think.

About archers and the need to move around... that's only the case, if there are not enough meleers around to keep the opposition busy! :)

It makes sense for an archer to sacrifice defense for offense, which is why archers usually deal a lot of damage, but are easier to take down in melee, but it doesn't have to be like this.

And with quickened Spectral Stag (spell from Magic of Faerûn, similar to Phantom Steed) a cleric is highly maneuverable while retaining full attack ability! :p

Did you consider a Ranger or Ranger/Deepwood Sniper?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Lamoni

First Post
Thanee said:
FRCS = Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
Persistant Spell is in there, too. Also in Tome & Blood I think.

About archers and the need to move around... that's only the case, if there are not enough meleers around to keep the opposition busy! :)

It makes sense for an archer to sacrifice defense for offense, which is why archers usually deal a lot of damage, but are easier to take down in melee, but it doesn't have to be like this.

And with quickened Spectral Stag (spell from Magic of Faerûn, similar to Phantom Steed) a cleric is highly maneuverable while retaining full attack ability! :p

Did you consider a Ranger or Ranger/Deepwood Sniper?

Bye
Thanee
Yes, I did consider a ranger. The reason why I was leaning towards a fighter is that I could have a much better AC with full plate while retaining the archery feats. I like playing characters that never need to run away from anything. However I am still considering a ranger because it will still be effective and have a lot of skills that are good outside of combat.

My DM only allows material where he owns the book so I am limited to mostly core stuff. Maybe in the future I'll try one of the archer builds that were recommended in this thread. I guess it was a mistake to ask for the 'best archer build' when you almost always need things that aren't core 3.5 to get the best.

Tidus4444

First Post
Meh, your dex is much better protection than any full plate. 20 dex+ Studded Leather Armor, and you'll be fine.
Allow me to also urge you to go with OOTBI. It is a terrific class with a lot of nifty abilities (though they lost a bit of it when fighters got GWF and GWS in the 3.5 revision).

Remove ads