• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Horror Setting For D&D/ Ravenloft?

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Short answer: yes and no, since to a very large extent, this relies on your presentation as the DM rather than what's written in the read-aloud text for room 2A.

Do your NPCs exploit each other/the PCs when they have the opportunity? (And not just in the physical senses of the word, but also as in using people instead of treating them with respect--think of how the sorceresses tend to treat Geralt, for example.) Does fear and ignorance drive the humans to act like monsters? Do the monsters' relationships with nearby humans mirror or sometimes surpass the humanity of the humans relationships with each other?

It's really rare to see a quest in The Witcher where the answer to at least one of these questions isn't "yes," and then more often than not, Geralt is prompted to choose whether he wants to draw his silver sword, draw his steel sword, or just walk away in disgust to let the monsters fight it out among themselves.

Adventures that have pre-written noir motivations like that--none spring to mind, but my experience with D&D adventures featuring heavily fleshed out NPCs is pretty narrow.

I hope I'm not misguiding you, btw--it may be that you're just looking to kick the asses of monsters resembling those found in the witcher, and that all this tone talk is not what you need for a fun introductory game.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Gray more than dark, because the humans frequently fail to show humanity, but the monsters often do exhibit humanity. Both elements are important, because a key point to the witcher is that he's got to make tough choices between different hues of gray.

Why do you think this doesn't fit into Ravenloft?

I ask because it sounds like the perfect fit to me.

Adventures that have pre-written noir motivations like that--none spring to mind, but my experience with D&D adventures featuring heavily fleshed out NPCs is pretty narrow.

Sounds like Ravenloft again.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Why do you think this doesn't fit into Ravenloft?

I ask because it sounds like the perfect fit to me.

Different Moods: Ravenloft (the setting) is about surviving the unescapable domain of dread and maybe making it a little more livable in the process; whereas witcherverse is about winnowing monsters from men, in the murky places where the two mingle.

Different Expected Foes: an "on theme" Ravenloft campaign will feature gothic horrors, whereas Geralt fights a wider variety of enemies.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Different Moods: Ravenloft (the setting) is about surviving the unescapable domain of dread and maybe making it a little more livable in the process; whereas witcherverse is about winnowing monsters from men, in the murky places where the two mingle.

Different Expected Foes: an "on theme" Ravenloft campaign will feature gothic horrors, whereas Geralt fights a wider variety of enemies.

There is a big difference between 'weekend in hell' Ravenloft adventures and campaigns set in the campaign setting. The latter typically feature characters who were born there and just think of it as normal home, not a place to escape.

Please tell me what this 'wider variety of enemies' entails. I think you may have a very narrow view of Ravenloft that is not indicative of the actual setting.

Galendril

Explorer
Now I'm confused.

What my cousin really wants, after talking to him, is fighting monsters.... So is Ravenloft still viable for that?

Ravenloft is about the mood and setting. If he wants to straight up fight monsters, you might want to go with something more straightforward. That's not to say Ravenloft doesn't have monsters to fight, but I think he might not appreciate everything else the setting brings to the table.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
5e ... and use monsters that are classic horror monsters or things in witcher. I think some people have posted some Witcher homebrew classes/races.

I would use 3e Castle Ravenloft remake (or the original) and look at some conversion guidelines and run that, if you don't want to makeup your own adventure.

Remove ads