D&D 5E Best Kensei weapons?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
At higher levels this also makes darts more attractive again. Because they are monk weapons, a) they deal more damage, b) you can take a bonus action to add +1d4 to all your attacks with them, and c) you can instead use your bonus action to run over and jump-kick the guy you just darted in the face, slamming your shuriken deeper into his eye socket.

I guess you can do all that with a longbow, too, but then you have to be holding a longbow. Darts sit in your pocket until they are ready to use. The downside is their very short range.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Re: Martial Arts: When the rules say "...when you make an attack as part of the Attack action..." or similar, they phrase it that way specifically to exclude other sorts of attacks, such as the bonus attacks for martial arts and TWF. A bonus action is not part of some other action; it's a separate thing.

Still, allowing the kensei to get +2 AC all the time is probably not overpowered. I just don't think it's what they mean.

...What they mean is really weird, though. So if I'm just holding a sword, my AC is normal. But then if I punch a guy, I get +2 to AC against someone who shoots at me with arrows? Why don't I get the +2 AC against the arrows when I'm just standing there holding the sword? I see what they were going for with this rule (giving you a reason to mix unarmed strikes and weapon use), but the execution is just kinda klunky.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I can just go by my book, which has unarmed in the weapon's table... and I'd certainly consider an unarmed attack "light", so it fits under two weapon fighting as well

But, the weapons table entry does NOT specify "light" for unarmed strikes (while it does specify "light" for things like daggers and scimitars). I think it's disingenuous to just add that property to unarmed strikes based on your own judgement, and then claim that your reading of the rules is canonical.

Plus, unarmed strike does not just mean "punch." It can mean punch, kick, elbow, headbutt, whatever. So the notion that how much stuff you are carrying in your hands impacts whether or not you can make an unarmed strike is already kind of suspect.

Now... I think the rules would be clearer and more sensible if they worked the way you described (treating unarmed strike as a light weapon and allowing TWF... then Martial Arts would basically be a specialized version of dual-wielding fighting style). But, I don't think that's what 5E says.

jgsugden

Legend
Sadly, longsword is the choice for melee because almost all magic weapons in the DMG are swords. Unless your DM makes homebrew items, you'll likely wish you had picked longsword when he rolls up a great magic longsword somewhere along the way that works with your powers.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
ok, longsword tied to the end of a whip!

But it is a good point. When I DM I make sure magic items are things the players can use and enjoy, but if your DM doesn't do that kind of thing (but does give out plenty of items), then I guess you have to play towards that.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I just watched Netflix's Castlevania in which (SPOILERS) Trevor Belmont routinely wraps the end of his whip around the handle of his sword to send it flying or slash with it at range. It's pretty awesome.

Also you could easily reflavor a whip as a kusarigama which is a totally cool thing and definitely real (google it)!

hejtmane

Explorer
Sadly, longsword is the choice for melee because almost all magic weapons in the DMG are swords. Unless your DM makes homebrew items, you'll likely wish you had picked longsword when he rolls up a great magic longsword somewhere along the way that works with your powers.

You do not need magic weapons you are kensi you make your weapons magic you should be hopping for bracers of defense just saying.

Now me personally as a DM I always do custom magic items ( my favorite part of being a dm custom magic items) never understood why the game punished non sword users makes the game more fun when we do not have 500 melee characters all with swords.

hejtmane

Explorer
I just watched Netflix's Castlevania in which (SPOILERS) Trevor Belmont routinely wraps the end of his whip around the handle of his sword to send it flying or slash with it at range. It's pretty awesome.

Also you could easily reflavor a whip as a kusarigama which is a totally cool thing and definitely real (google it)!

Bah Urumi is way cooler looking aka Flexible swords

G

Guest 6801328

Whip is a nifty idea, but if you remain at 10' to take advantage of reach you can't also get any martial arts attacks in, which means no bonus attacks and no AC bonus. There are certainly situations where that will be a good thing, but I would think most of the time you're not going to be using the reach quality.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
You do not need magic weapons you are kensi you make your weapons magic you should be hopping for bracers of defense just saying.
Waste of ki though, no?

elfcrusher said:
Whip is a nifty idea, but if you remain at 10' to take advantage of reach you can't also get any martial arts attacks in, which means no bonus attacks and no AC bonus. There are certainly situations where that will be a good thing, but I would think most of the time you're not going to be using the reach quality.
It is a good point. But reach is nice when you need it.

Remove ads