• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Kensei weapons?

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Insane Option: By a strict reading of Polearm Master, you can hold a quarterstaff in one hand, and a whip in your other, and get OAs against people entering within 10 feet of you using your whip. This is expensive for ordinary monks (who are not proficient in whip) but could be super-sweet for someone who chooses whip as their kensei weapon.
What is the current text of polearm master? I know it was revised a bit. I don't have a DnD Beyond subscription or a new PHB, but I've seen it quoted as
While you are wielding a glaive, halberd, pike, or quarterstaff, other creatures provoke an opportunity attack from you when they enter the reach you have with that weapon.
(emphasis added). If that is correct, then it shuts down the tactic you're talking about.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Oh, interesting. That makes way more sense.

My quote is from the first printing, but I checked the October errata and there wasn't anything modifying that portion of Polearm Master. I wonder if D&D Beyond is going to become "pre-printing" errata.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Oh, interesting. That makes way more sense.

My quote is from the first printing, but I checked the October errata and there wasn't anything modifying that portion of Polearm Master. I wonder if D&D Beyond is going to become "pre-printing" errata.

The errata document just summarizes the changes, it doesn't quote the new text. It could be they didn't feel this change was significant enough to include. (Which I think is a bit bogus TBH.)

For reference, see

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Feats
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/105978/thorn-whip-polearm-mastery-and-attack-of-opportunity
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/show...Tunnel-fighting-style-Lance-whip-quartetstaff

wellofworlds

First Post
Please note: A whip is not a monk weapon, it can be used as a Kensei weapon though. It just do not qualify as a monks. Only one hand simple melee weapons are consider monk weapons, and short sword. Per the words of Sage Advise. All monk Weapons can be used as Kensei weapons, not all Kensei weapons are considered monk weapons.

Valmarius

First Post
Please note: A whip is not a monk weapon, it can be used as a Kensei weapon though. It just do not qualify as a monks. Only one hand simple melee weapons are consider monk weapons, and short sword. Per the words of Sage Advise. All monk Weapons can be used as Kensei weapons, not all Kensei weapons are considered monk weapons.

"Kensei Weapons. Choose two types of weapons to be your kensei weapons: one melee weapon and one ranged weapon. Each of these weapons can be any simple or martial weapon that lacks the heavy and special properties. The longbow is also a valid choice. You gain proficiency with these weapons if you don’t already have it. Weapons of the chosen types are monk weapons for you..."

Once you choose them, they are Monk weapons for you. Granted, this line is in the middle of the block of text, so could be easily overlooked.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Even with the errata, whip-and-quarterstaff with Polearm Master is still a fun combination. For any Class, really. The whip allows you attack while still maintaining a distance, and the quarterstaff punishes enemies for closing that distance. Seems pretty neat.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester

That sage advice was for the playtest version of the Kensei, not the published one. For the published one, Kensei weapons are considered Monk weapons for the Kensei.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Even with the errata, whip-and-quarterstaff with Polearm Master is still a fun combination. For any Class, really. The whip allows you attack while still maintaining a distance, and the quarterstaff punishes enemies for closing that distance. Seems pretty neat.

Oooo -- if you go darts+quarterstaff, you can use your bonus action to get +1d4 damage to all your dart attacks. (If you use a whip, you can't use the bonus action for martial arts without getting into melee and foregoing the reaction attack when the enemy closes in on you.)

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I've been debating trying to justify 'cup of tea' and 'paint brush / ink quill' as Kensai weapons, but I've yet to figure the right ranged one.

I'd love the Kensai weapon to be 'unarmed' - because all the bonuses there would be great for an unarmed fighter.

Remove ads