Best level 7/8 spells for a high level evil sorcerer?

NewJeffCT

First Post
I have to second Arcane Spellsurge. Awesome spell, especially for a sorcerer with some metamagic feats (Heighten Spell works nicely to make other spellcastings a full-round action, in order to get them reduced back to a standard action, so you can always benefit from the extra swift action casting). :)

Bye
Thanee

Thanks - looks like a good option. Cast Arcane Spellsurge and then cast a swift level 5/6/7 spell with the reduced casting time (say Disintegrate?) , and then a maximized level 5 spell like Cone of Cold... would the Spellsurge be an effect that can be dispelled via Dispel Magic? Say, the sorcerer does that in Round 1 and a party member spellcrafts it - can they then dispel magic on it to stop it in Round 2 or 3?

Thanee

First Post
Well, it's a spell. Of course it can be dispelled. ;)

If you are worried about dispels, wear a Ring of Enduring Arcana (from Complete Mage, I think).

Bye
Thanee

Dandu

First Post
Alternatively, Ring of Spell Turning.

The fun part is when you consider that casters automatically succeed against dispel attempts at their own buffs..

green slime

First Post
8th-level can get you greater planar binding which can get you "friends" which aren't minions by any stretch of imagination: planetars can cast 9th-level cleric spells!

That'd be a pretty dastardly trick to pull on a party: they face a 16th-level sorcerer and a planetar, and get EL 16 XP. After all, the planetar is part and parcel of the sorc's abilities. :devil:

And how would a 16th level Drow sorcerer prevent a Planetar from escaping via Plane shift? Dimensional anchor lasts a whole 1 minute / level.

dandu said:
Planar Binding: Minions
Finger of Death: Killing
Project Image: Distraction

Finger of Death is inefficient killing IMO, one action, single target, close range, and a Fort save. It isn't going to stop the tanks.

Project Image is too readily defeated by the everpresent true seeing. But powerful in combination with finger of death, if you can remain hidden, basically extending your range.

With this setup, you are really relying on having a strong minion to handle those tanks if they get close.

NewJeffCT

First Post
And how would a 16th level Drow sorcerer prevent a Planetar from escaping via Plane shift? Dimensional anchor lasts a whole 1 minute / level.

Finger of Death is inefficient killing IMO, one action, single target, close range, and a Fort save. It isn't going to stop the tanks.

Project Image is too readily defeated by the everpresent true seeing. But powerful in combination with finger of death, if you can remain hidden, basically extending your range.

With this setup, you are really relying on having a strong minion to handle those tanks if they get close.

I probably wouldn't do planar binding. Maybe the drow cleric can do a greater planar ally instead for a powerful minion? But, I liked the Arcane Spellsurge or Greater Arcane Fusion idea from above. That way, the sorcerer can blast away with 2-3 spells per round.

Dredan

First Post
Evil sorceror? What I would do is as much damage as possible to everyone then get out... horrid wilting will get everyone, because I can guarantee everyone is with 60' of each other (including your party, but your evil so what!) then Finger of Death until your out...Dimension Door away from heavy tanks and use lesser spells to finish off whoever gets within range.

Remove ads