Best level 7/8 spells for a high level evil sorcerer?

jasin

Explorer
Evil Drow convincing Good Planetar....
A planetar has Cha 22. That should easily be matched by a high level sorcerer. He might not bend the planetar to his will on the first try, but he'll get there, sooner rather than later.

(irony) Sounds cheep and easy (/irony), or if you are the DM, cheesy.
Probably overpowered, but I don't think it's cheesy, at least how I'd use the term: it's not subverting the intent of the rules (forcing outsiders to serve is a genre staple and that's exactly that the spell is supposed to do), it's just that the actual numbers are a bit off.

green slime

First Post
A planetar has Cha 22. That should easily be matched by a high level sorcerer. He might not bend the planetar to his will on the first try, but he'll get there, sooner rather than later.

Probably overpowered, but I don't think it's cheesy, at least how I'd use the term: it's not subverting the intent of the rules (forcing outsiders to serve is a genre staple and that's exactly that the spell is supposed to do), it's just that the actual numbers are a bit off.

Except (and I do accept that this up to DM adjudication):

SRD said:
Lesser Planar Binding
Impossible demands or unreasonable commands are never agreed to.

Always strikes me as meaning you aren't going to convince a Celestial creature to defend an Evil being for any length of time, as it will almost certainly lead to direct conflict against other good-aligned beings. Bound Evil, on the hand, has no such compunctions. Demons and Devils, however, will almost always try to misconstrue or corrupt your commands.

IMO, YMMV, etc, and so on.

Bungus

First Post
And Arcane Spellsurge speeds up the casting time of the spell.

Give the sorcerer handy metamagic feats such as Empower Spell or Heighten Spell (or maybe Spell Energy Substitution). Also, giving some 1-round spell is not a bad idea when He knows Arcane Spellsurge.

Round 1

Cast a standard action spell and then, cast Arcane Fusion as a swift action.
or,
Cast Arcane Spellsurge as a swift action and then cast a 1-round spell or standard action spell modified by some metamagic feat(s). The latter is now a standard action.

Round 2 or later, cast one standard action spell (now a swift action) and a 1-round spell or standard action spell modified by some metamagic feat(s). The latter is now a standard action.

If you combine Arcane Spellsurge with Arcane Fusion/Greater Arcane Fusion, you can cast 4 spells per round.

With appropriate metamagic feats, a sorcerer can fight quite well without higher level attack spells. For example, Heightened Glitterdust is always useful. And if you empower 15d6 spell (Cacophonic Burst, Acid Storm), it may deal more damages than to a Horrid Wilting.

Is there a listing of spells that have a 1 round casting time? I know the Summon Monster spells, but what else? You can't really sort the SRD that way, and even the spell search feature on there does not allow you to pick Casting Time.

Thanks

Dredan

First Post
Is there a listing of spells that have a 1 round casting time? I know the Summon Monster spells, but what else? You can't really sort the SRD that way, and even the spell search feature on there does not allow you to pick Casting Time.

Thanks

Hey, there is another thread that answers your question, hats off to Thorian for making this huge list of one round spells

Here it is

Remove ads