• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Midnight books to get?

msd

First Post
I am reading the 2nd ed. of the campaign setting, which I really like. Can someone tell me which other books for this setting they would recommend? Are they compatible with the 2nd. edition of the setting?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

d20Dwarf

Explorer
I'd get:

Minions of Shadow (good inspiration for the type of creatures that fit the setting)
Fury of Shadow box set (has awesome campaign ideas and a DM Screen full of great art)
Under the Shadow (a great Midnight setting for adventures)
Steel and Shadow (good fighting options for all classes, helps to further differentiate Midnight)

The last two were written with M2E in mind, the first two weren't (but are 3.5 compatible, so there's not much difference).

BWP

Explorer
msd said:
I am reading the 2nd ed. of the campaign setting, which I really like. Can someone tell me which other books for this setting they would recommend? Are they compatible with the 2nd. edition of the setting?

All of them. There aren't that many, and with the exception of Fury of Shadow are all quite reasonably priced. You don't really need Against the Shadow, the bulk of which has been incorporated into M2E, although there are a couple of odds and ends in it that are still interesting.

The books can be loosely divided into four categories:

Player Options
Steel and Shadow
Sorcery and Shadow
(Against the Shadow)

The rest are for DMs only:

Setting Descriptions
Forge of Shadow
Fury of Shadow
Under the Shadow

Monsters
Minions of Shadow

Adventures/Campaigns
Crown of Shadow

Everything apart from Against and Crown use 3.5 rules. The mechanical differences between M1E and M2E are minor enough that you are unlikely to experience any problems using the older supplements.

Last edited:

Varangian

First Post
I agree with BWP on the best three books for setting material being Fury, Forge, and Under the Shadow. Of the more rules oriented books, Sorcery is my favorite as the crunch has a lot of built in setting information/flavor. With the new rules in M2E, Against the Shadow isn't necessary and I'd say minions isn't that necessary either. With that being said, my order for purchase would be:

Fury
Forge
Under
Sorcery
Steel
Crown of Shadow (adventure path)
Minions
City

Varangian

devilbat

First Post
There really aren't that many, and they're all reasonably priced.

I'll go a step further and say that compared to other products being released, the Midnight splat books are cheap, considering the writing quality of each.

Of course, the box set (Fury of shadow) is on the pricey side.

Get them all!

Remove ads