Best Non Magic Items

melkorspawn

First Post
The best I've found so far is Elven Darkleaf (From Arms & Equipment) which, dropping the armor category by 1 (e.g. med to light), lowering the spell failure rate by 5%, increasing the dex bonus by 1 and decreasing the check penalty by 2, is basically super-cheap mithral.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
Weapons made from Thinuan are pretty neat. Especially if you are wielding it when you die. Makes it much cheaper for your buddies to raise you.

Look very heavily into the various alchemical substances. If fireballs are hard to come by, start tossing alchemist's fire at your enemies.

The Eberron Campaign Setting includes some new alchemist's X varieties: alchemist's frost, alchemist's charge, etc. They generally only last for one round (rather than alc fire's two), but they open up more energy types.

Tanglefoot bags are an easy way to ruin lots of people's days.

Sunrods are good light sources - they're useable underwater, underground, etc.

Get yourself weapons with multiple tactical uses, if you can. Weapons that can be used to trip and disarm as well as bash your opponent will help, especially when your targets are unlikely to have magically boosted ability scores.

Tower shields - they're a great way for one or two fighters to almost completely block a passageway.

melkorspawn

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Tower shields - they're a great way for one or two fighters to almost completely block a passageway.

My DM has a vendetta against tower shields... he doesn't like the idea of people carrying around a 5x3 piece of metal with them.

I believe Green Ronin has a free PDF called something along the lines of "101 Mundane Items" that has a nice list of magic-free stuff. A lot of it is just interesting treasure, and not all that useful, but it might be a good starting place. Some of the more memorable items included a cloak of spider silk and demon hide armor.

Kirin'Tor

First Post
Special Materials are certainly your friend in a low/non-magic campaign. Adamantine armor can shore up heavy fighters lagging behind, mithral can really be a boon for Barbs/Rogues/Rangers, since they can wear one category heavier than normal.

All the alchemist's items (fire, front, shock, etc.) can really help a mage-free party survive certain encounters. Healer's kits can really help a cleric-free party.

I'm a fan of Multi-use weapons like Patryn suggests - trip/disarm are big friends with no magic weapons abound - so too are tower shields, as cover can provide a bonus on some saves (and prevent line of site) which can help against spellcasters & area-affect monsters.

melkorspawn

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
Tanglefoot bags are an easy way to ruin lots of people's days.

Good call, I just reread their entry... mighty sweet. I've never used or seen one used, so I always just relegated them to 'Items that seem cool, but I'd never use' like caltrops.

Remove ads