Best Non Magic Items

interwyrm

First Post
melkorspawn said:
My DM has a vendetta against tower shields... he doesn't like the idea of people carrying around a 5x3 piece of metal with them.

Gives you undetectable alignment too if it's made out of lead (Thanks Belkar)

griff_goodbeard

First Post
IcyCool said:
Weapons made from Thinuan are pretty neat. Especially if you are wielding it when you die. Makes it much cheaper for your buddies to raise you.

Just wanted to mention, that the sage said in the latest Daragon that Thinuan only holds the soul of someone slain by a weapon made of it. His example was that if you're wearing a ring made of Thinuan, your soul would depart normaly, and no go into the ring. :)

Taloras

First Post
interwyrm said:
Gives you undetectable alignment too if it's made out of lead (Thanks Belkar)

Yes....except for one thing. Cover a 3x5 piece of wood in a 1/10 of an inch lead sheet and youll add 90 lbs to its weight. Add that to the 45 from the regular tower shield(has to have something behind it to keep it from warping under blows) and your at 135 lbs. Are -you- going to be carrying around 135 lbs on one arm?

Last edited:

melkorspawn said:
My DM has a vendetta against tower shields... he doesn't like the idea of people carrying around a 5x3 piece of metal with them.

Well, that's ok, because tower shields are made of wood. ;)

EDIT: Darn you, IcyCool, and your quick responses! :D

Also, caltrops are great things to have - especially if you can prepare a battlefield ahead of time.

TheGogmagog

First Post
Tanglefoot bags are hands down the best item. Movement reduced by half and -2 penalties even with a save. I am even buying them at 15th level in a low to moderate magic campaign.

The way to ruin a low magic campaign, Play a Cleric with a Cleric cohort.
Your party will have acess to +2 to +4 Weapons and armor from Magic Vestment and Greater Magic Weapon. Watch your DM start to introducing foes with magic items. Prestige classes that give damage reduction, like elemental savant make DM's realize you can't have a (too) low magic campaign in a game system where most of the classes have acess to magic. *not that your objective should be to ruin the game.

About 50% of the wondrous items less than 8,000 gp are worth having too, when you start to craft.

Voadam

Legend
Adamantine weapons combined with Improved Sunder. Control the terms you are fighting on, a foe with a chopped in half sword is much less dangerous.

melkorspawn

First Post
How about poisons? Are there any that one could treat their weapons with that could even the odds in a tough fight? Also... are there alignment risks in using poisons? I'm Chaotic Neutral, so no problem for me, but the rest of my party is Chaotic or Lawful Good.

interwyrm

First Post
Taloras said:
Yes....except for one thing. Cover a 3x5 piece of wood in a 1/10 of an inch lead sheet and youll add 90 lbs to its weight. Add that to the 45 from the regular tower shield(has to have something behind it to keep it from warping under blows) and your at 135 lbs. Are -you- going to be carrying around 135 lbs on one arm?

Wrong. It adds 37.58 lbs.
Lead has a density of 11.34 g/cm^3
You are taking a volume of 3(12) * 5(12) * .1 in^3 or 216 in^3
216 in^3 is roughly 1503 cm^3
1503 cm^3 * 11.34 g/cm^3 17044.02g, which is equal to 37.58 lbs.

Even if it were 90lbs, it would still be worth it if you were an evil halfling trying to conceal your alignment from a monk/paladin/crankypants

Shadeus

First Post
BoED has some nifty new metals in it as well. I believe there's a wood that grants the ghost touch ability. Complete arcane (maybe adventurer) has some very cool alchemical items that grant you bonuses for a very short amount of time. Like an alchemical tooth that you can bite down and give yourself a temporary boost to your movement for a few rounds.

BoVD has some nice drugs in it as well...but that might not be your cup of tea. :)

I'm playing in a low magic world now one of the ways around it is by using master craftsmen to replace what would normally be done by magic. Maybe allow for additional things that can be crafted or maybe an exceptional craft roll indicates something special about that item. For example, maybe a master elven leatherwork can craft some intricate armor that is camoflaged in such a way to grant a +2 bonus to Hide checks in a woodland setting only.

The above is strictly a house rule, but it's cool stuff like that that makes the world unique.

Remove ads