• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Best of 3.5

am181d

Adventurer
I'm starting up a new 3.5 campaign (not Pathfinder) in the next couple of weeks. I've run a number of 3.5 campaigns over the years, but this'll be the first I'm starting up a new one since WotC moved on to 4e.

This puts me in the enviable position of having a complete product line to pick and choose from. This is both good (choices! yeah!) and bad (choices! boo!). So I ask you all:

What are the best bits of 3.5? I'm coming from the DM side, so I don't mean the most powerful or optimizable. I mean what'll be fun for my players to play? And which'll present interesting challenges for them?

What are the best (non-core) base classes?

What are the best (non-core) +0 LA races?

What are the best feats?

What are the best spells?

What are the best magic items?

What are the best monsters?

What's the best setting content?

What are the best adventures?

What are the best variant rules?

I'll mainly only be using the official/WotC stuff, but I'm happy to hear what 3rd party content you liked as well, as long as it's not horribly unbalanced and integrates well with the core rules.

And, of course, if you want to point out rules or content that were really disappointing, I'm glad to hear those horror stories as well.

xigbar

Explorer
Well, that depends on your players. Personally, my favorite class is the Psychic Warrior. It's also worth looking in to what's powerful, to know what to look out for. Non-Core, the Archivist and Artificer are some notorious examples. I like Eberron for a setting, for it's diversity. Gestalt is a good variant for high power games.

Dandu

First Post
Beguiler, Warlock, Dragonfire Adept, Psion, Psychic Warrior, Warblade, Crusader, Swordsage, Totemist, Factotum.

Tough one. Elans deserve a mention.

What are the best feats?
For melee (incomplete): Power Attack, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Knockdown, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, Battle Jump, Combat Brute, Steadfast Determination, Karmic Strike, Robiliar's Gambit, Stormguard Warrior.

For spellcasters (incomplete, dependent on class): Arcane Thesis, Knowledge Devotion, Extend Spell, Persist Spell, Empower Spell, Divine Metamagic, Natural Spell, Quicken Spell, Sculpt Spell, Invisible Spell

For gishes and half casters (incomplete): Arcane Strike, Linked Power, Knowledge Devotion, Law Devotion, Travel Devotion, Animal Devotion, Practiced Spellcaster.

Let me link you.

These are pretty good.

Kobolds

The Fistbeard Beardfist setting, sadly still in development.

Tomb of Horrors. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Unarmed Swordsage.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The marshal adds an interesting dynamic to the game that doesn't really exist in the core rules. It sort of mirrors by the bard, but not exactly. The Tome of Battle and Tome of Magic are great fun to introduce, but you do have to be careful with Tome of Battle. Used judiciously, it adds an extra element of fun to the game. Used abusively, it will wreck game balance.
I'm a big fan of the Eberron races. The shifter, warforged, kalashtar, and changeling all bring something really different to the campaign, especially the warforged and changeling.
What are the best feats?
That's really hard to quantify. Feats are largely a matter of taste for most players. Every player has their pet feats which they feel are awesome and better than everything else, but almost any feat taken with a proper amount of strategy in mind works well. I will say that one class of feats has been a real game-changer, the Reserve feats. Some might say that spellcasters didn't need more power, but especially at low-levels, these give casters a defining element while at the same time giving them something more to do than fire a crossbow. And I think the Martial feats from Tome of Battle should be available to all classes, Psionic feats should be available to monks, and Sudden Metamagic feats should be banned outright (as should Divine Metamagic and virtually anything else that grants "free" metamagic).
All of them. Spells are inherently better than anything else in the game because every spell is an exception to the rules in an exception-based rules system. The more you have of them, the better you are. Thus, the cleric and wizard are the best classes in the game because they get the most. I'm not sure otherwise how to answer that question.
I like the MIC approach to including a lot of lesser magic items that are usable for PCs at lower levels. It gives lower level PCs more to look forward to than a simple +1 weapon or +1 shield. Plus it emphasizes items with nifty effects instead of static bonuses. Nifty effects are almost always more exciting than static bonuses (even though powergamers generally prefer static bonuses).
As recurring villains, I have always loved the mind flayers. They are inscrutable, devious, and cunning, and there are all sorts of supplemental material for them. There is the Lords of Madness supplement which gives all sorts of juicy information on them. Plus there are the Mind Flayers of Thoon from MMV.

As one of the more middling races, I am very fond of jermlaine (MM2) and their mischievous ways. They may not be very impressive one-on-one, but a horde of them can do incredible things for plots in your games. Items go missing in cities, people disappear (captured Lilliputian-style), and people are pointing their fingers at halflings, but meanwhile it's all a sinister plot of the jermlaine sorcerer who thinks he's become king of the underworld.

Rather than specific monsters, I find cults to be a great source of inspiration for recurring villains. The cult of Vecna is my favorite (and a Greyhawk staple), but a war-centric campaign could feature Hextor or Erythnul. The Age of Worms adventure path did a great job of making the return of Kyuss a scary plot arc.
If 3.5 is your game then Eberron is your setting. It's the only setting designed with 3.5 in mind. Every other setting before had to be molded and reshaped to fit the preconceptions of 3.5 (like NPC classes to name one), but with Eberron, they had a clean slate, and everything blends seamlessly. I generally don't run 3.5 anymore unless its in the Eberron setting.
For 3.5 look no further than Paizo's three adventure paths, The Shackled City, Age of Worms, and Savage Tide. My personal favorite is the Age of Worms, which sees the PCs battle an evil cult which is determined to release its imprisoned god and bring him to power over all the world. Shackled City is a close second. It has a very personal feel to it and the campaign is open-ended offering the PCs a great chance to make their stamp on the world as they battle a group of maniacal villains intent on manifesting the prison plane of Carceri on the Material Plane and using it to further their vile ends. The Savage Tide is a great campaign too. It is my least favorite though because it is a swashbuckling type adventure with lots of high-seas action and I could just never get into that outside of watching Pirates of the Caribbean. WotC produced an "adventure path" of sorts for 3.0 following the release of the game which is a pretty good series of adventures, but they lack anything more than a few ephemeral tie-ins to each other.
One that I always use now is the Upkeep variant from the DMG. It just puts little things like paying for your stay at the inn or buying a round of drinks on the down-low and lets you get to action like smashing in dungeon doors. I also like the Weapon Groups variant from Unearthed Arcana because it is a throw-back to AD&D, but I like a lot of things about AD&D so that's why. I also strongly recommend using Pathfinder's Combat Maneuver Bonus in place of things like Grapple or Disarm checks. Its a streamlined system for these things that just makes everything a lot easier.

Dandu

First Post
A few points:
Marshals: They are weak.
Reserve feats: Outside of a handful, they are also weak. And the ones that are not weak are not the ones that deal damage.
Sudden Metamagic feats: Other than Divine Metamagic, they are basically all considered weak due to the 1/day restriction.

Speaking as an optimizer, of course.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

The marshal is probably the most interesting, and the warlock has been popular with my players.

Probably the fey-touched. The changeling also kick ass.

What are the best feats?
Reserve feats.

Meh. Most spells are just remixed ways to kill stuff. You can reskin damage spells on your own easily enough. The best new spells were in third party books like The Year's Best D20 and The Book of Eldritch Might.

See the comment about spells.

I'm partial to the Ravenloft monsters in the Denizens of Dread. That's always my stock answer, though. I quite liked some of the new undead in Libris Mortis, too.

Ptolus. The Forgotten Realms core book (and I say that as someone ambivalent at best about the Realms). Redhurst: Academy of Magic. Eberron is great to raid for ideas -- I'm embarrassed to admit I never thought of using a university as a patron before the Eberron campaign setting came out.

Various adventures published by Goodman, Necromancer and Green Ronin.

I like the racial paragon classes and the incantations in Unearthed Arcana.

I'll mainly only be using the official/WotC stuff, but I'm happy to hear what 3rd party content you liked as well, as long as it's not horribly unbalanced and integrates well with the core rules.
The best third party stuff is a hell of a lot more balanced than the WotC stuff.

Last edited:

Dandu

First Post
Meh. Most spells are just remixed ways to kill stuff. You can reskin damage spells on your own easily enough. The best new spells were in third party books like The Year's Best D20 and The Book of Eldritch Might.
This I do not understand. Even in the PHB, the majority of spells are not damage dealing spells or Save or Die spells.

(We'll leave the issue of reserve feats for another time, I suppose.)

cjosephs1s

First Post
Best non core classes: Fighter types are probably from the book of 9 swords, The Warmage is a great offensive caster and so is the warlock. And even though I've never played one the Spellthief seems to have a lot of potential.

Best non core Races: No clue. sorry!

Best feats: Will vary on class and play style but I'd say there's a lot of good ones and a lot of "flavor" feats that don't do much but add to character development. They have good feats for almost all classes now that help out in combat. Just takes a long time to look through them and find the ones that you want to develop a character the way the player wants to play. Some people say Bull Rush and Trip are useful. I never use them as I see them as wasted attacks (i'm giving up 3 attacks to push a monster out of melee range or to get a +4 on my attack of opportunity when the monster stands back up on his turn to whack me). I will say feats make your character good at what they want to do and not just average (who wants an average hero???)

Best Spells: see feats above as there are about as many spells as feats.

Best Magic Items: Useful ones! No point in handing out +4 full plate to a group made of a wizard, rogue, barbarian, and druid. As much as the players want to be rewarded you the DM are doing the rewarding on big loot so when the earn it, take some pride and custom choose items that will excite and reward your PCs hard work. They will appreciate your thoughtfulness.

Best Monsters: I always like core monsters such as beholders, dragons, orcs, trolls, ogres, zombies, ect. Its just fun.

Best Setting: While its not a WotC setting I love the Sword and Sorcery setting of Ghelspad and there are tons of resources for it out there. Second to that Forgotten Realms is a good choice.

Best Adventure: Tomb of Horrors 1 or 2. Many of the classic adventures have been revamped for 3.5 so a new generation can enjoy the cult classics (and they were really good).

Best Variant Rules: Mongoose publishing Quintessential series. Has all kinds of variant rules for all core classes (2 books on each) and core races along with magic. Of if your looking for a complete variant I agree with Gestalt. It is our DMs main way to game and allows for players to really get creative when building characters. Just be ready for very very powerful characters.

Non WotC stuff: I think Sword and Sorcery did a fairly good job developing a lot of content. I really like all the stuff they incorporate. Like I said before Mongoose Publishing has tons of content. AEG also has a lot of content that is good stuff too.

am181d

Adventurer
For the record, here are my answers...

I've really enjoyed the Beguiler, the Marshal (though I know it's underpowered) and the Scout. I like the look of the Duskblade and the Factotum, but I've never seen them in play.

I've really enjoyed the Shifter, Warforged, and Changelings. I've never quite understood the Kalashtars, but I think that's probably because I burnt out on Psionics about midway through 3rd edition.

What are the best feats?

I recently discovered Karmic Strike, and loved the fact that it suggested an entire personality for a character: the guy who lunges into combat wrecklessly, basically throwing himself at his opponent and taking every opening he can get. I guess to a lesser extent you get that with Combat Expertise and Power Attack, but I really do appreciate feats that suggest a whole character with one or two little rules exceptions.

I really like the immediate and swift spells, because they open up a new space for combat interactions. Anything that breaks up the "me then you then me then you" pattern of initiative I think is a good thing.

Nothing major stands out. I will say that I found the whole arms race aspect of magic items a bit dispiriting. I also like weapon *abilities* a lot more than i like weapon bonuses to hit. I may have to pop in some optional rules for boosting stats, BAB, and damage as a natural part of advancement...

Nothing major stands out.

I liked the early Eberron stuff, but more for the crunch than the fluff. And as far as I can tell, after a while the Eberron books were basically ALL fluff.

My group has only run through a few store bought adventures, and I think they'll all been 3rd party. This goes all the way back to 3.0, but NeMoren's Vault and the town of Westwood became a cornerstone of one of my long running campaigns.

I'm a sucker for Alternate Class Levels. I'm also interested in making better use of the Traits and Flaws from UA. I've always wanted a good alternate magic system, but I've never found precisely what I'm looking for.

From the 3rd party stuff: I really enjoyed Arcana Evolved, but wish it integrated more seamlessly with core D&D. I admire Cook's idea for an alternate PHB, but if all of those classes and races (and feats and spells) were instantly swappable with core content, it would have been a homerun.

Remove ads