• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best of the Best - Orb Wizard.

Which of these races makes the best Orb Wizard?

• Dragonborn

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Dwarf

• Eladrin

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Elf

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Half-elf

• Halfling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Human

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Tiefling

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Deva

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • Gnome

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Goliath

• Half-orc

• Longtooth Shifter

• Razorclaw Shifter

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm too tired to say something witty. Walking 20km on an arthritic knee will do that to you.

Suffice to say I think enough time has passed for the second last poll.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Is it really going to be another eladrin?

I voted human because a wizard with three at-wills is awesome. The eladrin gives a +2 bonus to Intelligence but so what? Dexterity doesn't do anything for an orb wizard.

The human feats and saving throw bonuses I would think make it the superior choice over an eladrin. Don't vote just because of one advantageous ability bonus.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
IMO, the choice really comes down to Human vs. Deva.

Humans have the extra at-will (HUGE for a wizard), feat, +2 to Int (assumed), and HDB.

Devas have the right ability mods and have MoTL, which is pretty sweet.

I'll go with Humans.

tiornys

Explorer
IMO, the choice really comes down to Human vs. Deva.

Humans have the extra at-will (HUGE for a wizard), feat, +2 to Int (assumed), and HDB.

Devas have the right ability mods and have MoTL, which is pretty sweet.

I'll go with Humans.
I went Deva in a close call over Human. I'm interested to hear why people favor Eladrin; Eladrin Sword Wizardry isn't necessary to cheese save mods since anyone can take Arcane Implement Proficiency, and letting the longsword count as a wand isn't all that exciting for an orb wizard.

t~

Jaysue

First Post
I went Deva as well, it is in fact the class and race (and build) i am currently playing and memory comes in useful quite a lot.

interwyrm

First Post
Kzach, I know you "don't care", but you really ought to try and include every race in the CB that has a bonus to either the primary or secondary stat at a bare minimum.

LamilLerran

First Post
Everyone's a critic.

You left out the only race that gets both a primary and secondary stat bump on the Taclord poll! I was hoping you would've learned from that mistake.

Sorry, I'm just grumpy because I was really curious whether eladrin or genasi would win in the previous poll.

More on-topic: Echoing other posters, I went with human over deva due to the three at-wills. That is a major bonus for the wizard, and the extra wisdom isn't that important now that there are enough -save items out to perma-stun solos in late epic even with a starting 16 Wis.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Elf is a good Core choice because re-rolling a missed attack is phenomenally good. Deva has a power almost as useful, and it boosts both key stats (so you don't need to re-roll as often, because you miss less often), so that gets my vote.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads