• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Best Online Tools for Coordinating a 5E Group with a Busy Schedule

Crothian

First Post
This sounds great, Crothian! We're hoping to reduce administrative time (leveling, spell selection, etc.) in play sessions exactly as you have done. Do you mind sharing the software you're using for the forums?

Simple Machine Forums. I'm not the guy who set it up so I don't know specifics but that's what the label says.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I like the idea of using technology that's light-weight and familiar. Facebook definitely falls into that category. So, you're using it for communication between play sessions and tracking play session dates and times? Is there anything about your group's use of Facebook that you find particularly useful or valuable?

It's certainly convenient, since all of my group was already Facebook users. We do sort things out between games and create events so that reminders and updates can be passed along. We also can talk about current adventures without worry that spoilers will be openly Shared. Character sheets are also there for easy reference.

Last edited:

Jake Johnson

First Post
It's certainly convenient, since all of my group was already Facebook users. We do sort things out between games and create events so that reminders and updates can be passed along. We also can talk about current adventures without worry that spoilers will be openly Shared. Character sheets are also there for easy reference.

More and more, I'm thinking this may be the best option for us, too. After discussing options with a couple of players, it seems like at least a couple of us are feeling resistant to use a dedicated website or add events to their existing calendars. Facebook has the advantage of being ubiquitous and already part of the routine. They do seem to like Dropbox, so maybe we'll keep that and add FB to the mix.

Do you create private groups for each player, and one for everyone? Sorry for the potentially obvious questions.

Thanks,

Jake

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
More and more, I'm thinking this may be the best option for us, too. After discussing options with a couple of players, it seems like at least a couple of us are feeling resistant to use a dedicated website or add events to their existing calendars. Facebook has the advantage of being ubiquitous and already part of the routine. They do seem to like Dropbox, so maybe we'll keep that and add FB to the mix.

Do you create private groups for each player, and one for everyone? Sorry for the potentially obvious questions.

I have one group for the whole group, so they can also use it to confer between themselves if they like. And the events I set up through the group, allows me to invite them all with one click. The three possible settings are Public, Private, and Secret, and I use the third since one of the players doesn't use Facebook much and probably prefers not having anything come up on his account. I'm not sure of the Private setting doesn't add some vague info but keep details hidden.

Jake Johnson

First Post
I have one group for the whole group, so they can also use it to confer between themselves if they like. And the events I set up through the group, allows me to invite them all with one click. The three possible settings are Public, Private, and Secret, and I use the third since one of the players doesn't use Facebook much and probably prefers not having anything come up on his account. I'm not sure of the Private setting doesn't add some vague info but keep details hidden.

Thanks for the additional info, Mark. We're trying a Facebook group like yours, and I think it's going to work out for us. Everyone knows Facebook, so there's nothing to learn or form a habit around for the technology. We're doing our first lunchtime event on Monday, starting to get our HotDQ characters going.

Just in time for HotDQ. Thanks again!

drjones

Explorer
Ugh, we have one member out of 8 who will not use Facebook or G+ even because he's a Luddite so we have to organize every game over email which most people only check rarely. Nothing to add, just wanted to vent.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
How do you use facebook without it spreading all over each others friends feeds and etc?

I only use Facebook for showing relatives pictures etc.

Explain from the basics on up how yall use it if you have the time.

Jake Johnson

First Post
How do you use facebook without it spreading all over each others friends feeds and etc?

I only use Facebook for showing relatives pictures etc.

Explain from the basics on up how yall use it if you have the time.

You can set up a private group on Facebook. Everything you post to the group will only be seen by its members. So far, we just have events and messages to the group. Everyone receives a notification when there's a new message to the group. Perhaps Mark can provide more background, as his group has been using it longer, and ours just started.

Jake Johnson

First Post
Ugh, we have one member out of 8 who will not use Facebook or G+ even because he's a Luddite so we have to organize every game over email which most people only check rarely. Nothing to add, just wanted to vent.

This is what I believe would happen if we tried to use anything more demanding, technologically, than Facebook. We already have the Android vs. iOS thing going. Facebook is only slightly more tech than email, and it's mostly platform neutral. In the past, I've inspired good results from reluctant users by setting up their devices for them, and showing them how to use to app. Could you do that with your luddite? If they use a computer, and don't bring a tablet or smart phone to the game, you could give a demo on your device. One of my players is buying an Apple TV after I showed maps from the Starter Set on mine using AirPlay from my iPad.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads