• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Psi Rules?

Rolzup

First Post
Arright, then. I'm working on getting a Gamma World game up and running, and I've run into a wee tiny bit of a stumbling block.

Psi.

What's GW without telepathic mutants, eh? Not Gamma World at all, really, in my opinion.

But I don't much care for the psi rules in the Gamma World book. Nor do the rules from d20 Modern really appeal to me. Darwin's World is closer, but again...not quite.

Here's what I'm looking for:
Simple. The players are unlikely to have the source material, so I want something with as few bells and whistles as possible.

Reasonably Versatile. Something that's actuallt *interesting* to use, something that the players will actually find appealing.

Scalable. A Psi-based character should be able to more-or-less hold his own against a warrior-type of the same level. At the very least, not be totally outclassed by some guy with a .38 pistol. At the same time, he shouldn't be able to kill every living thing with the blink of an eye.

So. Any suggestions?

Rolzup

Munin

First Post
If you want simple, take a look at the psi rules in CoC.
It's a pretty elegant system, and works well with D20 Modern.

rook111

First Post
I would suggest the Psi rules from Spycraft/Shadowforce Archer that is what I have replaced the d20 Modern rulesset with in my game. You can find those rules in the Shadowforce Archer setting book. You will have to do a tine bit of tweaking but not a lot.

You can also take a look at the way Mongoose Publishing did Psi in thier Judge Dred and Babylon 5 games. Very appropriate for those types of setting and if you want less over the top (but you did say Gamma World so over the top is probably what you want) you can't go wrong there.

And speaking of Gamma World, if you are using the new version from Sword and Sorcery, the psi rules that they include are (contrary to popular opinion) not bad at all and fit the setting well. The only drawback is a minimum amount of psi powers to choose from.

Hope some of my suggestions are useful

Biohazard

First Post
Rolzup said:
Arright, then. I'm working on getting a Gamma World game up and running, and I've run into a wee tiny bit of a stumbling block.

Psi.

But I don't much care for the psi rules in the Gamma World book.

Rolzup

Hmmm...may I ask why you don't like the psi rules in the Gamma World Player's Handbook? I tend to think they are both simple to use (much moreso than the overly-complicated d20 Modern psi) and fit the setting quite well. The only caveat is for the GM limit "feedback"--out of the box, Gamma World psi is a tad lethal.

I would also second a previous suggestion of Call of Cthulhu psi rules. I'm not familiar with the original Chaosium game, but the d20 Call of Cthulhu treats psionic abilities as feats, making them quite simple and elegant to use--especially if your players are already familiar with d20, which I'm assuming they are.

Hodag

First Post
I like the ShadowForce Archer Psi rules. I used them in a game along with the Sovereign Stone magic system, and they worked out all pretty and balanced.

Remove ads