D&D 5E Best Rogue Archetype for a Bandit?

Darkmantle26

First Post
The character concept I was pondering was a Bandit whos weapon of choice was a bow and arrow, what is the best rogue archetype for that? And what would be the optimal build if I wanted to use a longbow?

Last edited:

Sezarious

Explorer
-Wood Elf
Point Buy something like:
Str 10
Dex 16 (Racial +2)
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 11 (Racial +1)
Cha 13

At 4th level:
- Sharpshooter Feat

Roguish Archetype: Mastermind - So you can grant the 'help' action to any ally within 30ft of you.

Last edited:

LightningArrow

First Post
What you're looking for is straight Assassin, unless you're really really interested in climbing and pickpocketing, in which case Thief.

As for the build, I'd take Rogue with either 5 Ranger (Hunter)/Fighter (Scout) levels for extra attack and wilderness stuff. The True Assassin Handbook (google it) may help you too.

Sezarious

Explorer
I can't argue with a ranger multiclass. I second that. After some sleep too, I see you're not the OP who was looking for battlefield control (whoops). So, yeah, assassian is perfect. If you multiclass too and started off with your first level in ranger, you don't have to worry about being an elf in order to gain longbow proficiency.

Just start off as a variant human and take the sharpshooter feat straight away.

By Ranger lv2, take the archery style. This plus sharpshooter makes you 'robin hood' accurate because you ignore isdues with cover. Furthermore, access to the spell hunters mark (+1d6 damage per attack on your target and advantage tracking them), a no-save, bonus action activated spell.

Obviously you go with Hunter Ranger at lv3 and hordebreaker.

Lv 4 ASI: +2 to dex

Lv 5: Extra attack

Then focus on rogue and go with assassin. Cunning action is great as your primary bonus action too.

bid

First Post
Fighter 2 if you go assassin. Action surge double the power of assassinate. If you are more on the good side, you might not want to ambush and kill though.

But really, thief, mastermind or AT might be less boring.

GrumpyGamer

First Post
In my experience Assassinate is very hard to use, as it requires a stealthy party so you get surprise and that you beat them in initiative.

If you go the Assassin route I would start 4 levels of rogue and then 4 levels of ranger (fighter being another good option). I would start human with the sharpshooter feat, and pick up the Alert feat at 4th level for the +5 initiative.

Fighter or Ranger are a bit of a toss up, as they both give access to the raged attack accuracy fighting style and access to long bow. Fighters have action surge and a nifty 3rd level ability, while rangers have horde breaker for an extra shot in the surprise round and some useful spells.

For me I don't trust my initiative rolls to actually use assassinate and greatly prefer thief for fast hands (use object is awesome) or arcane trickster for the new cantrips.

famousringo

First Post
Don't forget to take Expertise in Intimidate. As a bandit, it's a lot easier and less dangerous to scare somebody out of their money than to murder them for it.

And a cool name, like The Devil Crow of Brackwater Swamp! Okay, that might be laying it on a little thick, but you get the point.

Remove ads