• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best RPGA adventures?

Which RPGA LFR adventures did you like the best?

• AGLA 1-1 (Lost Temple of the Fey Gods)

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • AKAN 1-1 (Rotting Ruin of Galain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BALD 1-1 (Flames of Initiation)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CORE 1-1 (Inheritance)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CORE 1-2 (Radiant Vessel of Thesk)

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • CORE 1-3 (Sense of Wonder)

• CORM 1-1 (Black Knight of Arabel)

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • DALE 1-1 (The Prospect)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • DRAG 1-1 (Many Hands Make Light Work)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • EAST 1-1 (These Hallowed Halls)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • IMPI 1-1 (Alone)

• LURU 1-1 (Slivers of Eaerlaan)

• MOON 1-1 (Nature's Wrath)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • TYMA 1-1 (Elder Wisdom)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • SPEC 1-1 (Shades of the Zhentarim

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • WATE 1-1 (Heirloom)

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Other - Please post and specify

Madfox

First Post
Is it really that much of a hassle to join the RPGA, do a simple test and then order them through official channels?

As for the feeling that the adventures lack some window dressing, that is mostly on purpose. The adventures are usually designed so that a DM can add his own touch to the adventure relatively easy based on the players' needs.

Festivus

First Post
I don't find it difficult at all to order up modules. Once you pass yoru herald GM test (which is open book and really super easy to pass) you can go to the RPGA site and sanction home games (private play they call it now). Order two, download them, cancel the event, repeat until you have them all. There is no penalty for doing this as long as you are sure to cancel the events, and allows you to have a large library of adventures to choose from when friends just show up to play a D&D game.

When you do play you should report the events so that the players can get their characters information into the system.

I currently have a library of all level 1-10 modules built up. Pay attention though, sometimes they update the modules and don't really announce it. I usually sanction for home play and check the version number before I go to run it to be sure it's right.

Dedekind

Explorer
Alright, here are my impressions of the adventures I've run and/or played:

I'm surprised you disliked the Aglarond one so much. Between this poll and the WotC thread, ALGA is one of the more popular ones. And my players loved it. I think the skill challenge is a great generic one since it can use several different skills and the players can opt out, if they want.

Of course, that's not a criticism, you can dislike it if you want ;)

When I get a chance, I'll put up a companion poll about the adventures people liked the least. And maybe another one for the high level adventures.

Dedekind

Explorer
Agreed. Shame though its such a pain to get hold of them; they really should've been downloadable as a free zip file.

One of the reasons I wanted this poll was so that I (and others in the future) could get an idea of what was good before I downloaded it. I could do the sanction/cancel thing to get them all (as was suggested) but I also wanted to see what the feedback was like. I probably wouldn't have done AKLA 1-1 if I had seen more feedback. Guess I should put in an RPE to the RPGA...

amysrevenge

First Post
Let me say at the start that RPGA gaming is all the gaming I do in my life, and has been all I've done for a decade now. It is the optimal style of play for me. I can't imagine ever finding another way to play that is more satisfying to me.

Is it really that much of a hassle to join the RPGA, do a simple test and then order them through official channels?

For the very first time? Yes, it absolutely is. There are all sorts of hoops to jump through that us old hands know backwards and forwards. But doing it for the first time, as an RPGA outsider trying to get in? I reckon it would be a nightmare.

Even just getting an RPGA number online (not from a card handed out at an event) is a non-trivial task that many net-savvy, intelligent people have not been able to manage on their own without posting threads here on ENWorld asking how to do it. I know I sure don't know how to do it (thank goodness I got mine the old-fashioned way years ago).

The current module ordering system is (to my brain-type) very non-intuitive. If I didn't know those first few times exactly what I wanted to do, I doubt I'd have been able to figure it out without help (there is a good thread in the RPGA section of the Gleemax boards with a step-by-step, with screen captures, that is pretty helpful).

Example: there are 3 links that could conceivably proceed to ordering an adventure: "Event Reporting" - I'd like to report that I'm having an event, "My Events" - I'm having an event, and "Event Sanctioning" - I'd like to sanction an event. Experienced guys know which one to click on, but the first-time guy has to guess. The whole site is full of things like this - links are not described as directly as possible. It's not like you save significant money by having fewer words on your webpage; I'd call Event Sanctioning "Order an event", and My Events "Summary of my events" and Event Reporting "Report the results of an event". This is not the only problem, just a sample.

I mean, I've been consistently ordering mods from those guys since the late 90s, and I still have trouble with the mechanics of it (I'm in the middle of trying to get a WPN venue added for next month's local convention, and it's been two weeks of back-and-forth - and don't even get me started on how difficult it was to figure out how to begin that process).

Conclusion: once you get going, and have learned the website and the system in general, downloading LFR adventures from the RPGA for Private play is a reasonably easy thing to continue (and in my opinion well worth all the trouble). The entry barrier, however, is extremely (ridiculously) high, and moving beyond Private play to WPN-style public play introduces another huge entry barrier. The key, I think, from the point of view of a person trying to "spread the gospel" of the RPGA, is not to minimize the effort it will take to get started, but rather the emphasize the benefits awaiting a new member once they are in.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Question: Can you play published adventures (eg: KoSF) or Dungeon adventures as RPGA sanctioned games? Or do you need to stick to the actual RPGA adventures?

I haven't done any RPGA gaming for few years, but I'm thinking of getting a group back together. I might also have to come visit you and the Pirates again, Mike. I always had fun with you guys back in the LG days.

Dedekind

Explorer
Question: Can you play published adventures (eg: KoSF) or Dungeon adventures as RPGA sanctioned games? Or do you need to stick to the actual RPGA adventures?

Several of them have been adapted for RPGA, but are not exactly the same. However, I can't speak to the quality of the adaptations and I didn't include them in the poll.

darjr

I crit!
I think you can sanction home games, get credit as a DM, and run anything you like.

When you sanction an event, pick the 'Home Campaign'. Then run your own stuff or a published adventure.

There are some of the published ones listed, I'm not clear what those are, so you could pick those. Or even pick the ADAP ones like Dedekind suggests.

amysrevenge

First Post

In general, you can do these as mentioned above - you basically just report your regular home game to the RPGA. Up until recently, this would qualify your players for mail-out rewards. Now, the player reward program is pretty much done with, but there is still a DM reward program that you'd get points for.

As a couple of exceptions, the adventure in the FR Campaign Guide, one adventure in Dungeon (Menace of the Icy Spire), and one printed adventure (something-something of Spellgaard it goes), have been converted specifically for the LFR campaign. You can order the conversions as if they were any other LFR adventure, but you have to have your own hardcopies of the adventures.

I haven't done any RPGA gaming for few years, but I'm thinking of getting a group back together. I might also have to come visit you and the Pirates again, Mike. I always had fun with you guys back in the LG days.

I don't recognize your ENWorld handle, but I probably know your face. :p You're welcome back any time. Vist our forums at http://www.piratesoftheplains.ca/yabb2/YaBB.pl to see what the latest news is.

arscott

First Post
I'm surprised you disliked the Aglarond one so much. Between this poll and the WotC thread, ALGA is one of the more popular ones. And my players loved it. I think the skill challenge is a great generic one since it can use several different skills and the players can opt out, if they want.
It's worth noting that these were my impressions on the read-through. I don't remember the session itself. Plus, the flaws I harped on are all things that my Living Greyhawk experience has trained me to see as warning signs of more widespread quality problems that I may have simply thrown it in the mental "this sucks" file without giving it a fair go.

I strongly stand by my praise for Waterdeep 1-1, though, and it's low ranking on this poll makes me question the judgment of the voters.

Remove ads