Best Tank build

Keifer113

First Post
I'd like to build a Tank for my party. I'm thinking High AC and High HP with good saves.

Does a Dwarf Paladin/Crusader sound good? What are the best builds.

Only the main rulebooks can be used, but I think most of the stuff in the Complete books are allowed.

It also needs to be simple, because when I'm away from the game other people may run the character.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh...and whats better..a Tank who can wade in and cause alot of damage or one who can take the hits? Ive always been of the mind that high hit points are the way to go because DM's find ways around AC and being attacked....

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
If you can use the Crusader, go with that. It's really, really tough. Take the defensive-oriented stances and maneuvers, and go nuts with them. I can see taking paladin for Divine Grace if you've got the points to dump into Charisma; otherwise I'm not sure I would bother.

If your goal is to live through ANYTHING, I'd recommend a dwarven psychic warrior. With some of the defensive powers, you can survive almost any fight. Vigor alone lets you ignore a solid two or three hits from comparable threats, since you can get 5 temporary hit points per level. Get the best armor and shield you can, or take the Force Screen power for a +4 shield bonus to AC for one minute per level.

If hit points are your goal, you could go with a dwarven fighter/barbarian. Take heavy armor anyway; losing the speed bonus will stink, but whoever expected a tank to be fast, anyway? Full plate and a shield will get you a good AC, and a barbarian's d12 hit dice and extra rage hit points will give you mass of damage you can take.

GramercyRiff

First Post
I think you'll get varying opinions about what makes the best Tank. Whatever people think is most important regarding AC, HP, saves, and damage is kinda trivial to me. To be a good Tank you have to have the enemy focus on you as the main threat. And you have to be able to survive those threats and eliminate/neutralize them as fast as possible. Excel at these two and you'll do great as a Tank.

Now it may not be the best, but I like the Hammer of Moradin. The Hammer exemplifies everything a Tank should be. While not complicated, it does have a lot of abilities that range from situational to great. It gives good fort and will saves and some pretty good abilities that boost damage and AC, not to mention the pretty good to awesome battlefield control abilities it's got, with DR/6 as the icing on the cake (and you're not a tree!). I recommend it because you're thinking of going Paladin Dwarf. Straight Paladin will qualify for it, as would Fighter/Cleric. You have to be able to cast 2nd level divine spells to qualify as well as have Iron Will and Weapon Focus Warhammer. It's pretty versatile in the options it allows with all the good abilities you get. The Hammer of Moradin is in Player's Guide to Faerun. And since it's based off of Moradin, it's not FR exclusive. If you're in Faerun, or Gold Dwarf is allowed, I'd use that Dwarf race as you get -2 DEX instead of -2 CHA if you go the Paladin route.

There are some other PrC like Battlesmith and Deepwarden that can make you even more effective, but would complicate the build to be sure.

Last edited:

icedrake

Explorer
Paladin/Crusader would be very tough, but the cha pentalty from dorfs is a bit of a pain.

You might want to consider a knight/crusader so you can pick up the challenge abilities and devoted spirit manuevers. You don't even really need to mutliclass much, just those to classes alone would be great things to work with. Throw in some fighter levels if you feel a bit straned for feats or a couple levels of a PrC for some extra boost, but I'd stick to those two classes. I'd try to keep a high IL level for your manuvers, there are a lot of higher level ones you'd want to have to maxiaize the pain from the crusader side.

You might even want not pick up one or two warblade levels for Iron Heart or Diamond Mind manvuers, you don't lose any ILs and its worth the small dip.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
I was going to recommend crusader as well. There are maneuvers and stances that really force enemies to pay attention to you, like Iron Guard's Glare. A little multiclassing into knight is probably not a bad option for the Will saves alone. I think a fun race would be dragonborn: extra Con gives boatloads of hps, and the breath weapon is just plain fun for someone who won't have loads of speed due to armour.

Wish

First Post
In part, what makes a good tank depends on what you're tanking for. Not at the basic level (figure out how to take a hit and dish it out), but at a secondary level.

If you're tanking for a group that has a lot of high damage ranged options, you're going to need a little less offense, but some battlefield control might be in order (improved trip, for example). If you're tanking for a group that includes a melee oriented rogue, you need some manueverability or tactical flexibility to help set up your buddy, but you also need to hit pretty hard, or they'll just ignore you and squish the rogue. If you've got a group with a lot of folks who do secondary melee with solid defense (monks, combat clerics, and so forth) you can take a balanced approach since your party is also combat effective.

Iku Rex

Explorer
Keifer113 said:
I'd like to build a Tank for my party. I'm thinking High AC and High HP with good saves.

Does a Dwarf Paladin/Crusader sound good? What are the best builds.
What level?

Keifer113 said:
Only the main rulebooks can be used, but I think most of the stuff in the Complete books are allowed.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense. You claim that "only the core rulebooks" can be used (PHB, MM, DMG), then you claim that "most of the stuff in the Complete books are allowed" and yet you've suggested a class form Book of Nine Swords (not core, not "Complete"). :confused:

baudbard

First Post
Iku Rex said:
Huh? That doesn't make any sense. You claim that "only the core rulebooks" can be used (PHB, MM, DMG), then you claim that "most of the stuff in the Complete books are allowed" and yet you've suggested a class form Book of Nine Swords (not core, not "Complete"). :confused:

I believe the OP thinks WOTC material = Core

Endur

First Post
Best Tank Builds. I agree with most of the comments above.

Dwarven Paladin/Dwarven Defender is very tough defensively, but has limited movement and offensive bonuses.

Dwarven Paladin/Hammer of Moradin has some very nice abilities. Not quite as powerful on defense, but almost as good. And has offensive abliities.

Dwarven Fighter levels are also useful for extra feats, or racial substitution levels for fighter (levels 1, 2, & 8) have other useful abilities.

Felix

Explorer
I like Dwarf Fighter/Pious Templar/Dwarven Defender

Combat Expertise
Dodge
Mobility
Tower Shield
Uncanny Dodge
Mettle
Big-honking Will save

Remove ads