D&D 4E Best VTT support for 4e?

Retreater

Legend
I played a short campaign (not DMed) of 4e on Fantasy Grounds. I think it used to be supported on there, but the official modules were taken down (I believe). There are some who still use what they had saved to their hard drives - I have no idea if it's possible to recreate those settings or not.
Foundry VTT has the rules module set up - but of course there's no content such as classes, monsters, powers, etc. So you'd need to add all that yourself.
If you don't want automation, you can use a map and token program, and just have everyone roll dice while looking at physical character sheets.
In summary, I haven't found any good VTTs that work like what we have for 5e, PF2, Cthulhu, or any other currently supported games.

Yeah, maptools is still the King here. There were a bunch of different 4e macro frameworks back in the day. Honestly though, I don't find running it on r20 to be that hard. Most basic rolls can be coded into a character sheet and you can make copies of that. Initiative works fine, etc. There's a few niceties that might be lacking, but nothing critical. It's no worse than playing at home.

What's 4e support like on Foundry, does anyone know?
System exists and is playable. The 4e Discord is your friend here.

In all cases the 4e Discord linked up thread has the answers to most of the VTT related questions with numerous resources available to make things easier for multiple platforms.

If your a Roll20 user there is a macro generator out there, you enter the 4e data from the original source and it creates the macro for Roll20 powers to add to the character sheet.

If your a Roll20 user there is a macro generator out there, you enter the 4e data from the original source and it creates the macro for Roll20 powers to add to the character sheet.

The fact that this was not table stakes in every VTT fills me with rage. (Source: am a user experience designer.)

In what world would the players of a game not need to be able to roll a dice expression actually tied to their character sheet? JFC.

Anyway... VTTs. They suck, but they're also all we have.

kronovan

Adventurer
I only have experience running 4e with the Fantasy Ground Unity VTT. A 4e ruleset is available for free with that VTT, but the owners SmiteWorks have never gotten permission from WotC to adapt 4e content for it - called a module in FGU jargon. That said, there's a fan community that's built modules for just about every WotC 4e book ever published. If you're interested, my advice would be to go to the 4e forum at fantasygrounds.com and post some questions about available content - you'll likely get a friendly and helpful reply.

Last edited:

Remove ads