• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Warrior Cleric Build?

MeiRen

First Post
Hey,

I'm trying to build a warrior cleric. The character's schtic is, he gets heavy equipment and casts a ton of buffs on himself to become the best fighter he can. Healing and Summons are great as a tool to increase his combat power. The party doesn't really need another spellcaster to help out, though, so that's not an issue.

So, what say ye? Best races/feats? In particular, I think we'll be using the "Spontanous divine caster" rules from Unearthed Arcana, so I'm trying to figure out what the best spell picks are.

Advice?

Darthjaye

First Post
Make use of the Extra Turning feat and then get ahold of Divine Spell Power ( to keep your buffs around longer than your level would normally allow)(Complete Divine), Power Attack, and Divine Might (Complete Divine). Also invest a lot in charisma. This in conjunction with strength buffs, Power Attack and Divine Might should get you a bit of damage and make use of those turning attempts when there are no undead to use them against. To get all of these at a relatively low level you might want to be human, and take a level of two of fighter. One would be sufficient though to get you all of this by 6th level with a feat to spare for something else you want.

It's nice to make use of your turn attempts all the time ain't it.

brehobit

Explorer
I'm a big fan of the luck domain for warrior clerics. The reroll is huge if you aren't using action points or have some other reroll mechanism.

beaver1024

First Post
Do you have access to Complete Divine? If so be prepared to put fighters in your party to shame.

Aim for Divine Metamagic (Persistant Spell) ASAP. If you go human you can do this by 7th level. Just in time to persist Divine Power which will give you +6 to strength, full BAB and +1hps/lvl all day. Make sure you get a Strand of Prayer Beads (Karma bead only) ASAP. Go to town with Magic Vestments for super high AC and Spikes to put the fighter to shame for damage. At 6th level with a Bead of Karma, Spikes on a club will give you +10 to damage and +2 to hit for 10 hours.

Remember to get lots of extra turning feats and high charisma to fuel the ever broken Divine Metamagic and the even more broken cleric spells. Ah clerics, better fighters than figthers, better necromancer than necromancers, better summoner than conjurors, better diviners than diviners and now with Domain Sponteneity better spontaneous caster than sorcerers.

Last edited:

MeiRen

First Post
I don't have Complete Divine, no. I may be able to get ahold of it, but for now, any core build options? In particular, any spells that are particularly helpful at lower levels?

Taren Seeker

First Post
With core only your work is cut out for you. Spells you'll want are Shield of Faith, Divine Favor, Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Magic Vestment, if you have the Plant Domain then Barkskin is a godsend. (no pun intended)

Most of the crazy stuff is in the Complete books tho. Even something simple like a Barbarian2/Cleric x gets much better with Practiced Spellcaster.

If you are staying mostly core then I would go for a build that involves maybe 5 cleric levels then add in a mix of Fighter and Barbarian. You get minor spell backup and secondary healing, and nice domain powers if you pick right.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'd go human with War and Strength domains. It gets you the martial weapon proficiency and weapon focus in your dieties favored weapon for free, and plenty of good buff spells.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
beaver1024 said:
Aim for Divine Metamagic (Persistant Spell) ASAP. If you go human you can do this by 7th level. Just in time to persist Divine Power which will give you +6 to strength, full BAB and +1hps/lvl all day.

You cannot do this by 7th level, as far as I know. While you can replace increased spell levels with turn checks, you cannot use the turn checks to replace spell levels you do not currently have. In other words, since Persistant Spell costs +6 spell levels to use, you have to be minimum caster level to actually cast a 7th level spell to use the feat on a 1st level spell in this manner...even if you are replacing the +6 spell levels with turn checks using Divine Metamagic.

I agree, it would be quite broken if you could use Divine Metamagic to get around the minimum caster level requirements of Persistant Spell...but I don't think you can.

Remove ads