Best way to play an Ancient White Dracolich (with Ancient Red Stats)?

Balfore

Explorer
Looks good to me![/QUOTE [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]
Can I ask a favor? Can you homebrew the old spell Blasphemy for 5e?
I want to use it in my BBEG.
How would you tool it for 5e, not too crazy, but some mechanic to add some spice to my final battle :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dave2008

Legend
Looks good to me![/QUOTE [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]
Can I ask a favor? Can you homebrew the old spell Blasphemy for 5e?
I want to use it in my BBEG.
How would you tool it for 5e, not too crazy, but some mechanic to add some spice to my final battle :)

Well spells are not my strong suit, but I am willing to give it a try. No tonight though - I'm to tired. I give it a go tomorrow

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6855489]Balfore[/MENTION] I like the tilting pyramid causing people to slide along its icy surface because that really plays to the uniqueness of the dragon's lair (which is what Lair Actions are for!), but I imagine at 20th level (haven't ever played in 5e let alone any edition) that most PCs have access to flight options whether spells, magic items, racial traits, or winged mounts?

---

Let's see...can you elaborate a bit on the scenario...that might help make it something really special...

What is the dragon's name and purpose? And why are the PCs going up against it?

How was the dracolich created (i.e. which mages helped and why) and where is its phylactery?

Why are you using an ancient red dragon as your template instead of an ancient white? Is it simply for the beefier numbers?

What's the deal with the upside down pyramid? Is it a tomb, a crashed spaceship, etc?

Is it your intention to have the PCs face the Ancient White Dracolich alone or with minions?

---

I'll give an example of a dragon I briefly used in a game & my approach to treating each dragon as a unique individual...

Rimewing, Ancient Frost Dragon

Region: Durghessan Highlands (tundra)
Bond: Rimewing despises the dwarven kingdom because they destroyed her hatchery; she would see the dwarves toppled.
Ideal: Rimewing would go to any lengths for revenge.
Flaw: Rimewing is irrationally afraid of an old northern barbarian legend about the Spirit Horse which was prophesied to lead to her final death.
Personality Trait: The dragoness makes a reptilian rumbling sound in her gullet when thrilled at the prospect of fine tribute or tasty prey.

Rimewing is the whisper on the winter wind, the hunter amidst the gale. In ages past she ruled the Durghessan Highlands, lording over the human tribes and feasting on dwarf flesh. When the Seal of Amaghwar was forged, Rimewing collapsed in the Serpentback Mountains after a battle with dwarves, forming a cirque called the Valley of Echoes beneath which she was buried in snow while she slept. With her awakening, Rimewing ushers avalanches and snowstorms. She exploits the Nic Epona tribe, whose chieftain Kalju hangs on to the traditional belief that a white wyrm is a blessing. The deeper Rimewing sinks her claws into the tribe, the more she leverages them into raiding lowland settlements for treasure and sacrifices. Once she has gathered her strength, she will assault the dwarven kingdom.

frost_dragon_by_alsaresnolynx-d5lgfit.jpg

Rimewing
Gargantuan dragon, chaotic evil
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 296 (16d20+128)
Speed 40 ft, burrow 40 ft, fly 80 ft, swim 40 ft
STR 26 (+8) DEX 10 (+0) CON 26 (+8) INT 10 (+1) WIS 13 (+1) CHA 14 (+2)
Saving Throws Dex +5, Con +13, Wis +6, Cha +7
Damage Immunities cold, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, poisoned
Senses blindsight 60 ft, darkvision 120 ft, passive perception
Languages Common, Draconic (understand only)
Challenge 13+ (10,000 XP)

TRAITS
Frost Fury. Whenever the dragon suffers a condition, a flurry of snow engulfs her, heavily obscuring the dragon until the start of her next turn.
Ice Walk. The dragon can move across and climb icy surface without needing to make an ability check. Additionally, difficult terrain composed of ice or snow doesn’t cost her extra movement.

ACTIONS
Multiattack. The dragon can use its Frightful Presence. She then makes 3 attacks: 1 with her bite and 2 with her claws.
Bite. Melee weapon attack: +12 hit, reach 15 ft, one target; Hit: 19 (2d10+8) piercing damage plus 9 (2d8) poison damage.
Claw. Melee weapon attack: +12 hit, reach 10 ft, one target; Hit: 15 (2d6+8) slashing damage.
Tail. Melee weapon attack: +12 hit, reach 20 ft, one target; Hit: 17 (2d8+8) bludgeoning damage.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of the dragon’s choice within 120 feet and aware of it must succeed a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon’s Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Monster Maths
defense CR 16
offense CR 11 (DPR 58, attack +7)
total CR 13

Lair Actions
  • cover enemies/objects in layer of hoarfrost, petrifying those who reach 0 hit points
  • rapidly freeze fog or clouds / sleet storm
  • trigger avalanche
  • hide in winterstorm or snow drift
  • summon white dragon wyrmlings (CR 14+)

Regional Effects
See the ancient white dragon in MM. The regional effects span the dragon’s aura, which increases as she awakens (see below).

Awakening
CR.......Features........................................................................................Aura
0...........Trapped beneath snow, can only use Lair Actions and Regional Effects....1 mile
13.........Breaks free, causing an avalanche, poisoned and can’t speak or breath...3 miles
14.........Cold Breath, Minions (wyrmlings), Speech...........................................6 miles
16.........Legendary Actions, Minions (berserkers), Storm Projection....................12 miles
18.........Improved Cold Breath, Proficiency bonus +6, Minions (wyverns)............24 miles
20.........Increase HP to 333 (18d20+144), Truesight 60 ft, Hoarfrost Curse.........50 miles

Challenge 13: Emergence
Rimewing emerges in the dead of winter, though she is weakened (poisoned) and must relearn how to speak. During this time - anywhere from 1 week to a month - she hunts ravenously in the tundra.

Challenge 14: Stirrings
After a month passes during which Rimewing mostly incubates her frozen eggs, she gains:
  • 10 white dragon wyrmlings (CR 2).
  • Cold Breath (Recharge 5-6). The dragon exhales an icy blast in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw, taking 58 (13d8) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
  • The ability to speak Common and Draconic.

Challenge 16: Whispers
After 3 months pass during which Rimewing focuses on manipulating the Nic Epona tribal leadership, she gains:
  • Command of a large force of berserkers (CR 2) mounted on warhorses.
  • Legendary Actions (see ancient white dragon in the MM).
  • Storm Projection. The dragon can cast project image into any storm, appearing as the specter of a woman with long white hair.

Challenge 18: Rise
After 6 months pass during which Rimewing consolidates her power in the Durghessan Highlands, unifying and conquering various tribes, she gains:
  • 3d6 Wyverns (CR 6) flock from the Wyvernlands to Rimewing’s territory in groups of 1-6. While they don’t obey Rimewing, they give the dragoness a wide berth.
  • Improved Cold Breath (Recharge 5-6). The dragon exhales an icy blast in a 90-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 19 Constitution saving throw, taking 72 (16d8) cold damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
  • Proficiency bonus increases to +6.

Challenge 20: Dominance
After 1 year passes during which Rimewing eliminates all challengers and demands tribute from neighboring lands, she gains:
  • Increase HP to 333 (18d20+144).
  • Truesight 60 ft.
  • Hoarfrost Curse. Extreme cold weather and terrible snowstorms wrack Durghess. All non-draconic creatures (that aren’t pacted/sworn to Rimewing) exposed to the Durghessan snow begin to petrify into ice statues over the course of 2d4 days. No magic returns such creatures to their normal form until the Hoarfrost Curse is broken.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
So having some experience with boss battles recently I say....crank it OVER 9000!

There is a thread going on right now about how an 9th level party took down a CR 22 dragon. They had a few wishes, but it just shows how much a smart party can do.

1) Max the dragon's hitpoints, then increase by 50%
2) Double its damage.
3) Give the breath weapon automatic recharge twice per encounter, maybe 3 times.
4) Crank up that lair effect damage. 32 damage is nothing at that point.
5) Have the breath weapon do an escalating effect:

Icy Blast: If you take damage from the dragon's breath weapon (even on a half save), make a Con save. On a failure, you are paralyzed and must make another immediate con save. On a failure, you are petrified and vulnerable to slashing, piercing, bludgeoning damage. If you take 20 or more points of fire damage the effect ends.

6) Definately have that pyramid land on them...that is great.

If I sound extreme, I'm really not. 20th level characters in 5e are monsters. I created Asmodeus as a CR 35 creature with 5 legendary actions a round, and the ability to cast any 8th level cleric spell at will (on his turn or on his legendary actions). He had a domination aura, and his rod did an automatic death saving throw fail on a crit. Oh...and did I mention he could crit automatically 3 times per day?

My party crushed him in 1 round. Don't hold back!

Balfore

Explorer
Well, here's th pyramid. LOL.

The Dracolich is the last boss fight before my BBEG, who is an old evil character of mine, in which an old DM of mine ran.
He (my character) was ruthless. Another player played as my brother, and a really good friend of mine played a lawful good paladin (ha...his mistake).

The lawful good paladin kept thinking he could redeem me, and my 'brother' (who played a ranger), knew better. So my brother kept trying to kill me, because he knew eventually I would kill the whole party.
Well, unfortunately, the Paladin failed his saves after being swallowed by a Remorhaz (2nd Ed.), so all I had left was a few other members. I managed to kidnap my brother, and I tortured him by cutting off his thumb and first 2 fingers on each hand, and his bow eye. I eventually turned him into a Lich. (Evil, yes, I know).
They eventually decided to come after me, but I had time to plan.
This was their fault for them constantly calling me evil. I had agreed to travel and adventure with them, but when I performed my own 'questionable' actions, they kept threatening me...lol, so I decided to go full on evil (this was easy on when they were egging me on).
One adventure we were on was in an arctic locatiom, and we killed a white dragon.

I explained to the DM, that I wanted to know other worldly magic, which helped my learn how to do the pyramid. (I forget now how it works). And I made my home in this area.
He eventually mastered necromancy and grew an army, to include the white dragon. He's probably the worst villain on the planet with understanding of multiple magic schools and artifacts of protection and sorts.

Flash forward to a couple years ago. I wanted to play a clone of my old character.
He agreed, but another player also wanted to play a clone of him as well...except during the cloning process, there was an accident, and a light sprit entered in his soul as well. Now there was 2 conflicting sources in his body (a cool idea nonetheless). I had no problem with it, I thought it was a nice homage.

Well, the DM jacked up the plans I had for my character, and this was during the Out of the Abyss campaign. And the world we built was ruined as well.

Flash forward to a year ago.
I decided to Princes of the Apocalypse (terrible campaign IMHO).
I was going to repair what he did, and eventually take the group to epic level. Boon x2.
There were hints of old characters, and guest appearances by their old characters who's stories weren't ever finished.
At the end, they fought at the pyramid at its base, with undead all around it (100's of undead). They made to to the base, and fought 3 Liches. Meteor Swarms did them in...that and the Cleric (the old DM of all people) cast planeshift, amd left the party and never cast a heal spell.
...so they had a TPK.
They all wanted to know why I ruined the world we built... well, it wasn't me.

Flash forward for the last time...
Using an idea from another players character, who is a chronomancer, I decided to run Tales from the Yawning Portal as a string of dungeons that were all a part of my BBEGs life, and they would be traveling through time through each of the dungeons. They lost several characters along the way.
The last dungeon, the Dead in Thay, was where my BBEG was originally from, so it seemed fitting. That would also be where he stole all the information that the characters 'helped' with the resistance.
It was perfect.
The phylactary vault was the perfect place for the climax before their decent into the Tomb Of Horrors (which I used as the inside of my pyramid. I just used one of the silvery archways as a teleport into the pyramid from the ground.

They fought their way through, and are now on the last 2 bosses.
Last week, they fought a boosted Death Tyrant with save DCs of 20...nearly wiped them. They fought on the same location as where the Dracolich will fight.
The flat part of the pyramid shown in the picture. Which is covered in ice.
I made it difficult terrain, and the melee needed to roll a Dex save before their attack, or fall prone.
Did I mention they have a Paladin? So broken...lol. their saves are amazing, and anyone near them have huge benefit.
Anyhoo...the Paladin turned to stone, the bard turned to stone, the 2 Barbarians were put to sleep...all that was left, was my wife.
The Life Cleric, who doesn't really play that much, and can't role play very well.
She decided to Flamestrike the Death Tyrant. Well, she killed it.
Everyone thought it was over, and people were upset, and we're complaining.
When she killed it (I faked the save, he really did make it, I just wanted them to feel like the heroes). They all got super excited, and said, FINALLY!
"Greg, that should have been your last battle...it's going to be hard to top that one"

Well, that's where I'm at now. Finding a new and creative way to finish this up.
The Dracolich will use the same platform (about 100x100) for the battle and his lair.

Then, I have to follow that with an epic battle with the final boss, who I've also posted.
The problem is, he has alot to keep up with.
He will be in a pocket dimension within the Far Realm.
I've developed a way for people to move within the Far Realm.
It's a WIS check to WILL yourself to move.
If you make the check, you can move like normal.
If you fail by 1 to 5, you move half.
If you fail by 6 to 10, you move 5 ft.
If you fail by 11+, you don't move.
They have already fought a Shuggoth, Blood Orchid Savant, and 2 Nether Voidlings in the Far Realm using that mechanic. They had to go through a silvery door, which took them there (all.of these are security measures, to keep people way from the BBEG, of course). It was interesting how the movement went.
Naturally, the 2 Barbarians failed nearly every time. The Paladin finally got on the Shuggoth and eventually wore him down.
He was guarding a portal to the top of the pyramid where they fought the Death Tyrant.

...Sorry to be so long winded, but now you're all caught up :)

These next 2 battles need to be epic.
I could really use some help on both fights.

Remember, the BBEG, will be in a pocket dimension, and I'll have it so when they finally enter it, they'll be sepatated all over the board, with the BBEG in the middle.
(Standing on a runed pedestal with the spell Globe of Invulnerability runed at 9th level).
He will have access to 3 level 9 spells, and have a crown with gems which can trap the soul, as well as absorb spells.

Now just rambling on...sorry, tell.me what you think :)
6c97d3135a741c9fb62bfe9ceea3d939.jpg
a09f7be87e3b79630f34d84ed769c890.jpg
57a98722a7749c0f5f654860ef80bd12.jpg
cc1f61ea340a63b9ec363f474e038667.jpg
5312424ed134ced96d24bc5e47e88af6.jpg
2d403db9abbd3fdbc56cf620ddb29da6.jpg
2c31c8a0b75a2488848026d28af1be48.jpg
6300516f06b5c3643e2c01c2a2789ef1.jpg

The most important thing for a big battle with a BBEG, is to present multiple objectives to the players. There should be minions and the environment of course, but there should also be something else that they need to focus on (apart from killing the BBEG). Maybe the BBEG is trying to open up a rift that will summon reinforcements, which makes the fight a lot more difficult? Maybe the players are on a timer, and they need to stop something from happening within a few rounds?

I also really like interactive environments. Have your monsters kick over a pillar or two, striking multiple squares in a line, or activating traps in the lair.

Stalker0

Legend
Some great art there! I mentioned some notes before. Another good one is the old cliche "the boss with multiple forms".

It really helps a solo survivability. If he gets jacked too early, it lets you keep the fight going longer while he throws off all of the conditions the party had. Its also great to do it after 1 minute has passed so a number of the parties' buffs can wear off.

dave2008

Legend
So having some experience with boss battles recently I say....crank it OVER 9000!

There is a thread going on right now about how an 9th level party took down a CR 22 dragon. They had a few wishes, but it just shows how much a smart party can do.

1) Max the dragon's hitpoints, then increase by 50%
2) Double its damage.
3) Give the breath weapon automatic recharge twice per encounter, maybe 3 times.
4) Crank up that lair effect damage. 32 damage is nothing at that point.
5) Have the breath weapon do an escalating effect:

Icy Blast: If you take damage from the dragon's breath weapon (even on a half save), make a Con save. On a failure, you are paralyzed and must make another immediate con save. On a failure, you are petrified and vulnerable to slashing, piercing, bludgeoning damage. If you take 20 or more points of fire damage the effect ends.

6) Definately have that pyramid land on them...that is great.

If I sound extreme, I'm really not. 20th level characters in 5e are monsters. I created Asmodeus as a CR 35 creature with 5 legendary actions a round, and the ability to cast any 8th level cleric spell at will (on his turn or on his legendary actions). He had a domination aura, and his rod did an automatic death saving throw fail on a crit. Oh...and did I mention he could crit automatically 3 times per day?

My party crushed him in 1 round. Don't hold back!

I really depends though. Every group is different. We did a one shot with my beefed up "Elite" CR 24 Red Dragon and I TPKed my group of 4 pcs. Also, the thread you mentioned had approx. 8 PCs + a 20th level Bard and 2 wishes and (IMO) miss-used forcecage. Every group is different, what is a cake walk to some is a TPK to others.

Remove ads