• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best way to sell a HUGE gaming collection?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Sometimes, you just know you aren't going to use a product anymore. I enjoyed AD&D 2E, warts and all, and when I go back and look at the books I realize just how bad those warts were. May as well sell them to someone who's either willing to deal with the gigantic warts or resell the books to someone else.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Like you, I had kept it, even though I wasn't using most of it - I assumed at some point, the kids would be interested, but they just hadn't shown any interest....Fast forward two years. And the kids ... they love gaming. They have absorbed all of 5e, and they have even looked through the (few) grognard books I had kept. They want more more more!

Gives me hope. My boys have played D&D with me, briefly got into, making their own Dungeons, but then stopped showing interest. I'm hoping as they get older their interest will be rekindled.

While it would be nice to have some of my old 1e stuff for nostalgia's sake, it is unlikely I would ever go back to DMing in 1e. It wouldn't have been worth dragging it around with all my moves or paying for storage.

If I want a nostalgia kick, I can page through the used books at my FLGS. Also, I lot of it is available on DM Guild now.

TBH, the only thing I really miss from my old collection is all the old Dragon magazine. I would still re-read and use those if I had them.

Svetgar

First Post
Some very interesting perspectives here. I think alot of you guys may be right about my feelings towards it are coloured by the fact I don't use any of it. In the interim, I ran into a very nice guy who just opened a gaming store not too far from my office. I bought him a box of random obscure RPGs, games, and duplicate books, and he gave me a fair deal for them. He also is running campaigns and such, though he seems more interested in Dungeon Crawl Classics. I almost stuck around for it... I really wanted to, but I felt guilty about not being home. I need to see a shrink lol.

Lowkey, I'm glad to hear your kids got into it. Maybe I should try running the boxed set of 5th edition with them this weekend and see where that goes. Should I have them create their own characters, or use the pre-mades?

I think what I'm going to do is start with the stuff that I know I will never touch. All the old Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Runequest, etc., games that are never, ever going to see a tabletop. I've got quite a few there that I can work through selling, and see how I feel after that is done.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think you really need to get a 5e game in there. With no minis or maps, just theater of the mind (which 5e does well). A game or two under your belt and some of your perspective might change for the better.

Remove ads