• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Best Wizard Spells for a Paladin 3.5

spiderfate

First Post
My paladin of Mystra has the sword of the arcane order feat which lets him take wizard spells in paladin slots. my dm has ruled that these wizard spells are subject to the battle blessing feat which allows you to caste any stardard action spell as a swift action. what wizard spells do you suggest i take for this character? thanks.

all non world specific and forgotten realms books are allowed.

the Jester

Legend
My paladin of Mystra has the sword of the arcane order feat which lets him take wizard spells in paladin slots.

Good god, where is THAT from??

Do you suffer arcane spell failure in armor with them?

If not, I'd go with long-range attack spells, magic missile being a classic, or stuff like fly that gives you (or your mount!) capabilities you might lack.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
PHB
True Strike: 1st level. Works wonders when it's quickened for free each time!
Glitterdust: 2nd level. Powerful and with multiple uses, worth using even if you're getting it much later than the wizard.
Fly: 3rd level. It's just nice to have.
Haste: 3rd level. Great boost to yourself and allies.
Polymorph: 4th level. Lots of good combat or utility enhancing options, and it's a buff you can give other people, too.

Spell Compendium
Corrosive Touch: 1st level. Gain one touch attack/CL (max 10) to deal 1d8 acid damage. I'm pretty sure you could smite evil off of this if you wanted to, to deal pure acid damage and only hit touch AC.
Combust: 2nd level. Touch attac to deal 1d8/CL (max 10d8) fire damage, and target must save or catch on fire. Done as a swift w/ smite evil on a white dragon or similar, this could be hella brutal.
Heroics: 2nd level. Gain a Fighter bonus feat that you can qualify for, lasts 10 min / CL.
Wraithstrike: 2nd level. Already a swift, makes all attacks touch attacks for 1 round. Super duper broken and should be banned, but if it's not, it's too good for me not to mention.
Girallon's Blessing: 3rd level, 10 min/CL. Give yourself or someone else 2 more arms. Mostly useful if the DM uses the Savage Species rule that every hand on a weapon after the 2nd is another +0.5x str bonus to damage.

Frostburn
Shivering Touch: Another broken spell that should be banned. 3rd level, deals 3d6 DEX DAMAGE as a touch attack. My group refers to it simply as the "Dragon Killer."

spiderfate

First Post
well, my brother is playing a mystic paladin with sword of the arcane order and practiced spellcaster. his character is far more powerful then mine.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Given that paladins and rangers hardly ever cast their spells, I don't see Battle Blessing as being particularly overpowered. I allowed a ranger to use a "Nature's Blessing" equivalent with no problems.

Wizard spells as paladin spells is a more abusable ability, although usually balance problems come from making divine spells arcane or allowing access to the tertiary caster's 4th-level spells to full casters.

All that aside, I'd recommend See Invisibility and True Strike in addition to the above. Autoquickened True Strike? Seriously, if your DM allows that, use all your spell slots on it.

spiderfate

First Post
Good god, where is THAT from??

Do you suffer arcane spell failure in armor with them?

If not, I'd go with long-range attack spells, magic missile being a classic, or stuff like fly that gives you (or your mount!) capabilities you might lack.

its from forgotten realms champions of valor and the complete champion

spiderfate

First Post
Given that paladins and rangers hardly ever cast their spells, I don't see Battle Blessing as being particularly overpowered. I allowed a ranger to use a "Nature's Blessing" equivalent with no problems.

Wizard spells as paladin spells is a more abusable ability, although usually balance problems come from making divine spells arcane or allowing access to the tertiary caster's 4th-level spells to full casters.

All that aside, I'd recommend See Invisibility and True Strike in addition to the above. Autoquickened True Strike? Seriously, if your DM allows that, use all your spell slots on it.

ive been using my swifted true strike with a charging smite, power attackedmaxed out

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Rhino's Rush in Spell Compendium is already a Paladin 1 spell and already a swift action to cast. It makes your charge attack that round do double damage. Even with Battle Blessing to boost True Strike, it may be better for you in certain situations (like when you're fighting a T-Rex and can Power Attack to the moon and still hit anyway).

Just putting that out there both to assist the OP and to temper the reaction of "OMG Wizard spells on a Paladin is broken!" some people reading this thread might have via comparison to existing Paladin spells.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads