D&D General Bestest, Most Epic-est Short Adventure?

Retreater

Legend
Hey everybody. I've got a quick change of plans and not a lot of time to prep.
I'm hosting and running a gaming weekend in a couple weeks for a group of old college pals. Typically, we do this annually, but it's becoming more difficult with each passing year.
The original plan was I would run them through the Starter Set for Dragonbane. But believe it or not - I've reached my current capacity for different systems. (To give you an idea, I'm currently playing in Pulp Cthulhu, and this week I'm running 4e/5e/PF2, and prepping for a West End Games Star Wars session.) So I need something that is familiar and simple to run and teach these players - likely something OSR-ish.
I'm leaning towards Castles and Crusades or AD&D 2e for the system. (B/X has been shot down for being too simplistic by some of the players, 5e is too "vanilla, etc.")
Looking at something to run. Big, epic tournament style module we can finish over the weekend. I missed a lot of the classics back in the day, so veteran opinions are also appreciated.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
If you want something that's legally free you have an AD&D 2e clone and an AD&D 1e clone. If you & your players are willing to purchase something you have a lot more options. My personal choice is Adventures Dark and Deep (which is an AD&D 1e clone with Unearthed Arcana material fully integrated into it) to run Castle of the Mad Archmage with it's expansions and the V series of modules if you want an introductory adventure.

For Gold & Glory
The Hawk Wolf Network

OSRIC
First Edition Society
Usherwood Publishing

Adventures Dark and Deep

Retreater

Legend
I have both OSRIC and For Gold and Glory - as well as the official printings of 1st and 2nd editions. I've also got a few OSR-ish systems, including Old School Essentials, Basic Fantasy, Hyperborea 3e, Swords & Wizardry, and Castles & Crusades.
Part of it is time to prep - I have three weeks to get it together. I need it to be similar enough to what we're already familiar with to work.
And a really, REALLY awesome adventure is needed. I'd prefer something kinda high level (7th or higher) so they can have some good magic items and access to spells. None of this "crawling through a dungeon and getting killed by a rusted nail."

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
If you & your group want over the top power gaming there's the Bloodstone Pass Saga / the H series. It ends with the party having to raid Orcus' palace in the Abyss, steal his artifact Staff and then enter Hell to kill Tiamat so the Staff can be destroyed with her heart. Be forewarned that H4 references demon lords information from other AD&D publications.

H1 Bloodstone Pass
H2 The Mines of Bloodstone
H3 The Bloodstone Wars
H4 The Throne of Bloodstone
FR9 The Bloodstone Lands

Last edited:

Remove ads