• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bestiary Gripe

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Dr_Evil.jpg

[rant] Four editions of D&D and D&D OGL spinoffs and we still don't have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!!! [/rant]

sharks_with_laser_beams-w72pgv-d.jpg

shark.jpg
Missed one! (Legos Agents: Mission 4)
8633-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

Damn! When I was a kid Legos were the coolest toy ever! And they have just kept on getting cooler....

The Auld Grump

Chronologist

First Post
I've run a shark in my campaign once, and it bit and held (grapple/constrict). On the other hand the PC in question was small sized, against medium sized PCs it would have tried to do the same, but at a -4 size penalty.

Sylrae

First Post
The shark presented in the core rules is only one species of shark, first of all; you can ABSOLUTELY do a different species that has a bite-n-shake attack, and if you do create a different species by advancing the shark, that's a good idea; helps to keep the sharks feeling different.

And if you're looking for game rules for a grab-n-shake type attack, check out the crocodile's death roll attack.

Thanks! Those crocodile 'death roll' rules will definitely come up next time I want a shark that can grab and twist.

VanorDM

Explorer
Well I'll agree that you could argue that different sharks have different methods of attacking prey...

But what I can't see flying is a player telling the DM "No the rules say this so you have do this."

That has never ever been a valid argument that I remember. Especially considering rule 1, what the DM says goes. It has said that in every RPG I've played since 1st edition AD&D. So there is really no way a player can make a argument like that, seeing how the rules say the GM has the final say.

Kodyax

First Post
Sharks have a special meaning for me and the one campaign I'm planning is going have a lot of them swimming around. I'll have to look but a GM tacking on an Improved Grapple/Grab feat onto the standard shark shouldn't be too much of a stretch and from what I have seen and read it wouldn't be too far from what they do in real life. Of course I'm also in the process of converting monsters from Stormwrack, Dead Man's Chest and probably one or more of the Monster Manuals for this so I'll have plenty of material to say the least.

Walking Dad

First Post
Great picture!

Missed one! (Legos Agents: Mission 4)
8633-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

Damn! When I was a kid Legos were the coolest toy ever! And they have just kept on getting cooler....

The Auld Grump
Also like the castle stuff... great alternate fantasy miniatures.

I neither argue with players nor play with arguers. If someone shows up for my game and doesn't like the style of play, he's welcome to leave and find another group.
Having played in your games, I have to say that you are much easier to game with than you sound in this thread. Take this as a compliment. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads