BFRPG/Dungeon Crawl Classics-Halls of the Minotaur (OOC)

timbuktu

First Post
This is the OOC Thread for our old school nostalgia inspired Dungeon Crawl utilizing the free OGL Basic Fantasy RPG and the Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures from Goodman Games.

Recruiting is closed for now. The company of adventurers is presented below, currently engaged in the Halls of the Minotaur.

[sblock=XP Totals for the Company Updated 7-11-08]
Barton of Rosevale, Human Cleric-49
Kira DeVille, Human Thief-49
Kronk Madaxe, Dwarf Fighter-44
Nameelass, Elven Wizardress-44
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
timbuktu, I'm very interested.

I have a game on this forum that I'm Dming (links in my sig), but it's pretty much on hold right now due to time constraints. However, I still manage to find time to visit these boards for at least a few minutes each day....tough for DMing at a high level, but enough to participate in a 'beer and pretzels' game. I think that playing in a game like this would be a great way to get my D&D fix while I wait for more free time to come along.

I've been around long enough to remember 'In Search of the Unknown', so I appreciate the back-to-basics feel of your chosen rules system. I've flipped through a few DCC's, but I don't think I know any of them well enough to spoil things.

I could comfortably play any of the four archetypes, but I think my first choice would be Cleric.

What do you say?

timbuktu

First Post
I say..awesome!

Seriously, I know alot of people dont like the "retro clone" thing since it they feel older versions of DnD constrains them. Im not here to throw mud at various versions of the game, and I understand-I mean if I didnt live when Keep on the Borderlands came out, I may not understand its appeal.

Anyway, feel free to roll stats at Invisible castle. As an FYI I will use the attribute scores as "skill" checks. There is info concerning that on pg. 141 under ability rolls. It the only optional rule Im going to use.

I'm still thinking about what adventure to start with possibly the Lost Vault of Tszather Rho...

Welcome aboard! And thanks for replying :)

Last edited:

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I first went In Search of the Unknown as a dwarf. I'd like a shot at running a dwarf fighter. The only catch is that I'm out of town for the week of the July 5th, and I don't know if I'll have Internet access during that time.

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
I'm facing one minor hiccup at the moment. My at-home internet connection is not downloading things well. I'll be visiting family on Wednesday, so I can download the rules then. In the meantime, I'll be happy to roll up some stats to get started on Invisible Castle. What's the skinny, 3d6 (YOW! That'd be really old school), 4d6 and drop lowest? Something else?

timbuktu

First Post
Mark no problem regarding vacation. July 4 in the US is a holiday, and I understand that Real Life gets in the way of gaming :) Besides, while I am hopeful that we can others interested start the game up soon, I may opt to begin after the holiday.

Once the game starts, I would like to shoot for a daily post, even if its a small post from the players, given that this is a crawl heavy adventure and it will keep the game rolling. However, I am flexible in this regard to everyone's schedules.

As for rolling stats, the rules are old school in that you roll abilities in order. 3d6 too, in order.

Starting gold is 3d6 x 10 gp.

The only minor change I am making is alignment. Even though Basic has some rules that seem quirky by todays standards, I have never really liked alignment in any version of the game. So disregard alignment for your PCs and alignment languages. Regardless of whatever personality quirks your PCs may have, I am assuming they are in some form heroic, and lean on the good side of the spectrum.

I am going to have everyone begin at level 1. Im thinking of running Hereos are Made Not Born a 3x adventure originally made for PCs at level 0, who all have NPC classes. This would allow enough of a challenge I think for our fragile characters.

So we have 2- cleric and fighter.

timbuktu

First Post
Hello again. I should read my post before I submit. In my last post I stated what the rules stated about generating ability scores. My opinion is different slightly from the rules in this regard. While I like the retro feel of Basic Fantasy, I am not a sadist.

So at the risk of losing my grognard status- Mark, Bialaska (welcome) and Malvoisin, take your scores and assign them to whatever ability you wish.

To clarify for anyone else coming after, and so I dont forget to type this in.. roll 3d6 and assign score to your desired ability.

Bialaska you are welcome as thief!

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Remove ads