[+] BG3 How would you do a solo run through? - Spoilers

TheSword

Legend
There is a long and storied tradition of running the original BG series’ as a single character without any companions for your second or third (or twelfth) run through. The companions quests are fun and there is a lot linked to them but BG3 is such a huge game there is a lot to enjoy outside of these. Plus once you’ve ran through a companion quest once or twice how many times does it still remain fun.

The only rule to play this way is to have no companions. You just run with your lonely self. Otherwise everything is on the table. Now unfortunately with BG3 XP isn’t split between the party - everyone levels at the same time - so there is no mechanical benefit to running by yourself. There is also a level 12 XP cap. This could make the game pretty darn hard - if not impossible on anything bar story mode.

One option I have seen is to use two mods made by the same guy. Fast Level To 6 which means you accelerate the first six levels only, so you leave the beach area at level 6. Secondly there is an level cap remover which means you can level to 20 as long as you multiclass and don’t take a character past level 11 in any single class (level 12 has to be the last level take). This same mod also doubles experience simulating the XP boost from not sharing with others. The mod maker assumes you can get to approx level 18 or 19 with this method.

Level 20 (Multiclass)

How would you solo play through? What areas would you need to cheese? What items would you use? Which classes/subclasses would you pick in what order?

[Edit] I’ve updated the thread to + to avoid debates about whether talking about soloing a game designed for four characters is in someway offensive. Also I’ve removed the Fast levelling mod link as I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work. Level 20 with x2 XP does work.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
Rogue (thief) to get that second bonus action would be pretty darn useful. Drinking healing potions, misty step, extra attacks would all be handy! Plus it gives a boost to trap finding and lock picking.

Being a sorcerer opens up a lot of area attacks and battlefield control/summoned creatures. Though a warlock could do this better potentially with the per short rest abilities.

Being a fighter would give the second wind ability as well as some healing and a chance to make hits land better.

There’s no point leveling multiple spell casting classes (apart from warlock) because the spell progression chart only goes up to level 12.

At the moment I’m thinking Rogue 3, Fighter 2, and then Sorcerer 1. Then levelling the sorcerer class up to 5 Then alternate fighter and sorcerer until fighter reaches 5 for the extra attack and then focus on sorcerer to the end. Leaving the Pc on Rog3, Ftr5, Sor10.

Alternatively Warlock would mean you don’t need to level Fighter so early to get the extra attack and could focus on a single stat for attacking. Pact weapon also means you could use any weapon in the game which is a great idea.

What feats do you think would be useful?

TheSword

Legend
The more I look, the more I think Warlock is superior to sorcerer for this kind of run through. Particularly pact of the blade.

However it would miss out on two great spells - shield and magic missile, which would be a waste for a warlock but great to spam as a sorcerer. Particularly with the MM amulet.

Scribe

Legend
I marvel at people who can do this, must better mastery of the game than I normally achieve.

I do think Thief would be clutch, I have Shadowheart as a Theif/Life Cleric and those bonus actions are fantastic, and there are traps and all that to deal with.

Theif/Warlock would be very interesting, I may try it.

MarkB

Legend
The more I look, the more I think Warlock is superior to sorcerer for this kind of run through. Particularly pact of the blade.

However it would miss out on two great spells - shield and magic missile, which would be a waste for a warlock but great to spam as a sorcerer. Particularly with the MM amulet.
There are items which can provide limited access to both of these.

Reynard

Legend
I generally prefer single protagonist RPGs, but I don't know how you would cope with the shear action economy of the BG3 fights as a solo PC. It can be tough with a party of 4 sometimes if you manage to pull a dozen goblins.

TheSword

Legend
I generally prefer single protagonist RPGs, but I don't know how you would cope with the shear action economy of the BG3 fights as a solo PC. It can be tough with a party of 4 sometimes if you manage to pull a dozen goblins.
I get that but to be honest it’s almost never my protagonist that goes down. Usually Wyll or Gale. You can get your AC up around 22 pretty easily.

There are folks on Reddit doing it with just the standard 12 levels. Which I find crazy.

Potions of haste, potions of healing, scrolls, poisons. Those bonus bonus actions from thief would be really useful!

The dark Urge gets a cloak that turns you invisible after killing someone’s. I feel that could be very good!

Last edited:

Remove ads