[+] BG3 How would you do a solo run through? - Spoilers

TheSword

Legend
So the biggest challenges I’ve seen so far are the ogre/bugbear couple and the ‘Paladins’ of Tyr. The former because the ogre is fast, can throw some punishing rocks and hits hard, while the bugbear also hits hard. The Paladins because they have some magic I’ve not come up against so far and are all reasonably tough.

Things that have definitely helped…

• The sleep spell - really good when there are three or four foes still there but relatively low hp
  • Attacking sleeping opponents with a chunky weapon for serious damage
  • The rogues cunning action.
  • A scroll of Shatter from the Druids grove was very useful in the forgotten tombs.
The goblins in the village were surprisingly easy. I could have bypassed a lot of fights using illithid influence but wanted the XP and gold at this point so I was unusually aggressive. I did skip the trio of ogres - I’ll deal with them later! Killing in Fezzrick at the windmill makes the others with him run away which makes things a lot easier!

I haven’t really looked into elixirs so far, never really needed them in a normal game but I reckon they’ll come in more handy now. Just found one which grants an action and 5 temp hp if you kill someone which could be good for the next fight with large numbers of opponents.

I plan to ally with the goblins and attack the grove as a change (I’m dark Urge). Once the paladins are done I’ll head to the Inn and then probably tackle the owlbear… that will be interesting. Hoping those will get me to level 5 and the wonder of 2nd level spells.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
I beat my 7 year old grandson at chess last week.
Dude are you for real? I’ve just said I’m at 4th level with the solo character at the point One would be at with four 3rd level characters.

I’m not boasting, I’m just going through the theoretical and then practical exercise of trying to solo a game which is designed for four while trying to approximate half of the XP bump you’d get if you did that in tabletop or in earlier editions.

Is it that different to what it would be like trying to get through Princes of the Apocalypse or Rime of the Frost Maiden solo? Why the shade? You clearly missed the Great Soloing Craze of 1998-2002

Dude are you for real? I’ve just said I’m at 4th level with the solo character at the point One would be at with four 3rd level characters.
I did that with two first level characters (having picked the lock on the beach). And it wasn't even difficult. When you have soloed the Grimforge and Nere at level 4 it might be worth reporting.
Is it that different to what it would be like trying to get through Princes of the Apocalypse or Rime of the Frost Maiden solo?
You can do what you like, but we don't need to hear about it unless it's actually impressive.

TheSword

Legend
I did that with two first level characters (having picked the lock on the beach). And it wasn't even difficult. When you have soloed the Grimforge and Nere at level 4 it might be worth reporting.

You can do what you like, but we don't need to hear about it unless it's actually impressive.
I didn’t realise that was a bar to leap for posting. Well done. Getting through the abandoned village with 2 first level characters is an achievement. I definitely would have struggled with that. We’ll find out about Nere, though I suspect the level will be closer to 8 by that point. As opposed to the four level 6 I did it with on the first run.

The thread is just to discuss the potential for soloing BG3. Nothing more complicated than that. I suspect as more people complete the game on the first run then running it solo will become more interesting as they tire of repeating the same character interactions. The challenge isn’t so much the earliest sections it’s the pinch points throughout.

There are a couple of people interested in the premise. Though if I’m boring you then you have options…

Well done. Getting through the abandoned village with 2 first level characters is an achievement.
I don't need praise to enjoy a game. If I did I would play a difficult one like Elden Ring.
I definitely would have struggled with that. We’ll find out about Nere, though I suspect the level will be closer to 8 by that point.
Which will make it a cakewalk. This is close enough to regular D&D 5e for high level characters to stroll through outleveled content without pausing for breath.
The thread is just to discuss the potential for soloing BG3.
It sounds like a thread for trying to boast to me.
Though if I’m boring you then you have options…
Is anyone interested?

TheSword

Legend
I don't need praise to enjoy a game. If I did I would play a difficult one like Elden Ring.

Which will make it a cakewalk. This is close enough to regular D&D 5e for high level characters to stroll through outleveled content without pausing for breath.

It sounds like a thread for trying to boast to me.

Is anyone interested?
I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I don’t think gaining 2-3 levels is equal to losing the actions of 3 companions. But I’ve updated to be a + thread just to avoid the derail. If soloing BG3 isn’t for you then there’s no need to make it personal.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Mod Note:
Hey. We don't need you gatekeeping. Impressing you should not be anyone's major concern in choosing to post or not. Let people talk about their own fun, without you trying to impose your personal guidelines on whether it was worthy of mention.

mk1ngzz

Villager
I'm doing a dark urge partial illithid fighter/rogue/ranger solo run on Tactician mode right now.

For maximizing damage you can get items such as Caustic Band, Strange Conduit Ring, Club of Hill Giant Strength + Titanstring Bow pretty early.
The Deathstalker Mantle cloak has played a major factor in succeeding early game.

Last edited:

TheSword

Legend
I'm doing a dark urge partial illithid fighter/rogue/ranger solo run on Tactician mode right now.

For maximizing damage you can get items such as Caustic Band, Strange Conduit Ring, Club of Hill Giant Strength + Titanstring Bow pretty early.
The Deathstalker Mantle cloak has played a major factor in succeeding early game.
How are you finding it?

Remove ads