• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General BG3 Massive Spoiler Thread

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Doing my second HM run. Last one ended in Moonrise trying to free the Tieflings. Yeah, hard skip on that this time.

Was almost wiped by the owlbears. Went in with a pretty depleted party and wrong characters for the fight. Mom went down quick, but the mate was a beast. Had the two Absolute followers with me to help, but one of them kept focusing on the cub (and he eventually killed it 🙁). Managed to finally bring down the other one but was close.

I really do enjoy living with the consequences in HM, even when bad like this. Makes it feel a little closer to TT.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
So plying a Durg and had my first murder. Everyone was asleep. I washed the blood off to hide my crime.

In the morning Gale has the audacity to ask if I had anything to do with it. Like why you asking me jerk face!

Zardnaar

Legend
So plying a Durg and had my first murder. Everyone was asleep. I washed the blood off to hide my crime.

In the morning Gale has the audacity to ask if I had anything to do with it. Like why you asking me jerk face!

Alfira or the Dragonborn Bard?

Last Durge game Alfira died this time the bard. Going for redeemed Durge not skipping Raphael or Ansur this time.

Made it to Lower city HM run 2. I had been throwing my cash in a chest along with loot since ACT1. Had 138k saved up.

Bought all the unique loot in Riverton, most of vendors on lower city in the central area, and paid 10k to certain vendor to go after Raphael.

Just hit level 11. Committed 1 evil act to get the bhaalist armor. Corrupt cop.

Laezel got kidnapped. Going to respec as single classed champion fighter.

I'll be a basic archer vs Ansur, Cazador. Gortash, Raphael etc.

Sulicius

Adventurer
I just hit act 2 on my second run, this time tactical. It’s about as easy as the first time, since I have gotten better at it and I already know the broken combos.

I was surprised to find how much I missed in Act 1, and really enjoyed going through it again.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I have to admit, one thing I like about Honor mode is you have to live with your choices.

Regular game I save scummed. Didn’t like how a chat turned out? Reload. Tried to steal a few times and get caught? Reload. Etc

Now I play it safer. Is picking that pocket worth the fight if I fail? Said the wrong thing to Gale? Oh well. Can’t go back. It’s actually pretty nice. Like I don’t know how things will actually play out.

Only thing I don’t like is if I accidentally walk into a fight im not prepared for and lose, I shouldn’t lose all my progress. Like somehow stick with the decisions but allow me to reload after death

Only thing I don’t like is if I accidentally walk into a fight im not prepared for and lose, I shouldn’t lose all my progress. Like somehow stick with the decisions but allow me to reload after death
Yeah this is kind of what I want too. I'm happy to be forced to live with my decisions, with the fights I start, and so on. I like the rules being stricter so it's not trivial to just stack a lot of small technically separate damage sources so you get insane damage due to riders. But I am not keen on inevitably being wiped out in some extremely dumb accident or by some fight I wasn't prepared for because I haven't played the game 10 times already and aren't using camp buffers and so on.

I know me and, I know I'm a dumbass with ADHD, and I'm going to impulsively click into a room full of exploding mushrooms before I remember, or accidentally detonate a barrel whilst trying to click on something else and propel us all off a cliff, or just forget there's always a massive bossfight after you do X, so do it when I'm on not-full-health and most of my spells are used.

Could I work around this? Yeah - you could leave someone in town and play the game with three people and never get wiped in a dumb explosion, but that's pretty rubbish. Or you could ruthlessly read guides to make sure you're always prepared for "surprise" fights that auto-pull-in the whole party, or use the extreme buffing capabilities of a couple of hirelings to ensure my party permanently had megabuffs* for the more predictable ones. But it feels like that sort of thing is both against the spirit of the thing and unfun.

And it being just one save, not say, always maintaining one from like, a previous area, means it can save after you are inevitably dead so even in the mode you get after losing in Honor mode you could be trapped in a "death cycle" (indeed the BG3 wiki warns about this).

* = Anything non-concentration with an "Until Long Rest" duration will work - so Aid, Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, Hero's Feast, Longstrider, even, astonishingly, Warding Bond (though this may result in you having to res the guy back at camp occasionally!)

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah this is kind of what I want too. I'm happy to be forced to live with my decisions, with the fights I start, and so on. I like the rules being stricter so it's not trivial to just stack a lot of small technically separate damage sources so you get insane damage due to riders. But I am not keen on inevitably being wiped out in some extremely dumb accident or by some fight I wasn't prepared for because I haven't played the game 10 times already and aren't using camp buffers and so on.

I know me and, I know I'm a dumbass with ADHD, and I'm going to impulsively click into a room full of exploding mushrooms before I remember, or accidentally detonate a barrel whilst trying to click on something else and propel us all off a cliff, or just forget there's always a massive bossfight after you do X, so do it when I'm on not-full-health and most of my spells are used.

Could I work around this? Yeah - you could leave someone in town and play the game with three people and never get wiped in a dumb explosion, but that's pretty rubbish. Or you could ruthlessly read guides to make sure you're always prepared for "surprise" fights that auto-pull-in the whole party, or use the extreme buffing capabilities of a couple of hirelings to ensure my party permanently had megabuffs* for the more predictable ones. But it feels like that sort of thing is both against the spirit of the thing and unfun.

And it being just one save, not say, always maintaining one from like, a previous area, means it can save after you are inevitably dead so even in the mode you get after losing in Honor mode you could be trapped in a "death cycle" (indeed the BG3 wiki warns about this).

* = Anything non-concentration with an "Until Long Rest" duration will work - so Aid, Freedom of Movement, Death Ward, Hero's Feast, Longstrider, even, astonishingly, Warding Bond (though this may result in you having to res the guy back at camp occasionally!)
.l
So I walked into Sorcererous Sundry. Honor mode. Accidentally stole item vs talk to vendo. Banned for inciting violence. Went back disguised few days later got in. Went back again combat started.

Suffice to say showed them inciting violence.

Ansur lasted 2 rounds. Would have been 1 but he went invincible with 1 hp. Hid in a globe of invulnerability. He died next round.

Back in Act Three. Hopefully, this time I can finish it. Dragon’s Dogma 2 comes out this week.

One thing I hate is the enforced stupidity regarding Orin. She can just deliver monologues while my entire party sits there, dumbfounded?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm slower than most BG3 players, partially because I want to talk to everyone, and partially because I'm still a regular WoW player.

Just got to the githyanki creche. I've had the confrontations and extradimensional side trek and visited the doctor and now I have to get out.

I'm going to look like Daredevil after one of those hallway sequences after this, aren't I?

Remove ads