Big Giant Swords on Discovery

Ok, I'm watching this new show in discovery channel. It's about this Irish guy, named mike, who may or may not be an insane role player. He so far seems to be fun, although I'm now a little worried if it is real. The basic idea is as simple as the name... He makes Big Giant Swords.

at one point he says "It's actual science, it's pseudo professionalism"

He does have some cool idea of professionalism, "We don't make what we think they should want, we make what they ask for."

If anyone in the know takes a look (I assume someone here knows how to make a sword) and see if this is real or a joke...

here is a you tube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_CDXtSJ0qo

one of the posters on youtube said "You have no fabrication skills at all. This show will not last long." but it was fun to watch (not so much informational as entertaining).

Ryujin

Legend
Looks like the same guy I've seen around Youtube, for a while, making things like ridiculously large Buster Swords. If it is then I would say what he is making are props, rather than swords. The stuff that I've seen, previously, involved cutting a pattern out of sheet steel stock, welding on bits, grinding, polishing, and painting. No tempering was involved and the "swords" were too massive, to ever be used for anything other than splitting lumber.

Looks like the same guy I've seen around Youtube, for a while, making things like ridiculously large Buster Swords. If it is then I would say what he is making are props, rather than swords. The stuff that I've seen, previously, involved cutting a pattern out of sheet steel stock, welding on bits, grinding, polishing, and painting. No tempering was involved and the "swords" were too massive, to ever be used for anything other than splitting lumber.

yea he is making big toys, not real weapons

Janx

Hero
having caught a commercial with Mike talking about the show, he says he was making youtube videos, they got popular, so Discovery decided to make a show with him.

Rune

Once A Fool
Just going on the clip linked in the OP (which doesn't really show much of substance), it looks more like this guy is a machinist than a smith. Or, possibly, that he has combined the two.

He makes pretty toys. Entirely impractical, but I don't think practicality is the point.

Just going on the clip linked in the OP (which doesn't really show much of substance), it looks more like this guy is a machinist than a smith. Or, possibly, that he has combined the two.

He makes pretty toys. Entirely impractical, but I don't think practicality is the point.

yea, he is a welder not a forger, he is making big toys not swords based on the way they were made back in midevil era.

last night he made a giant dragon shaped sword that shot fire out... and he didn't blow up.

http://youtu.be/yr4e6TF3xnc?t=37m39s

Rune

Once A Fool
Not sure why he designed it so the tip of the sword dips into the flame.

Other than that...pretty toy, entirely impractical. Might be best to take him out at range, though, if he actually ever showed up to a battle with that thing strapped on.

Remove ads