Pathfinder 2E biggest issue with PF2 playtest

Henry

Autoexreginated
How about yes / yes / no

If you have multiple pages of house rules, to me that's kind of the opposite to "I Like PF1 as-is." :) It also sounds like for your personal journey you did try at least one other system before coming back, and as you note below it feels like time for a change.

I really do believe there is a large space between opposed to leaving 1E and opposed to leaving *the spirit of 1E".

I'm way onboard with moving on. It really isn't 6 or 7 years, overall it is truly going on 18 years.
(SNIP)
...I guess the TL;DR version of this is: You can be completely open and ready to change, but still not find the current draft of 2E to be a better alternative. 5E would be higher in my case......

Absolutely understandable - however, what you've described definitely fits in the category of someone who would move on from PF1 in a heartbeat if you found an alternative that scratched the same itches. Not knowing [MENTION=9789]evilbob[/MENTION]'s group either (so I'm willing to admit I could be misreading) the initial description from evilbob sounds like a group of people who aren't very ready to move on from PF1, even if they found something that met their needs in a similar way.

Bryon, I know from your posts on the Paizo forums, the +level proficiency bonus is a major deal-breaker for you, and the disconnect arising from it may be one of those things that stops a number of people from enjoying PF2. For our group, it doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone yet, and doesn't look likely to be. I don't favor it myself, but I noticed the #1 thing from our playtest is that, so far, it works extremely well in play to create a unified system that doesn't create any major math discrepancies regardless of level, enough so that I put any reservations on gamism vs. verisimilitude aside. Attacks use the same math as saves which uses the same math for initiative which uses the same math for skills which uses the same math for crafting, which I'm loving; they're getting the clear statification of CLs and special abilities of monsters that PF1 had, which they're loving.

Personally, I'd love it if the rest of the players in my group would give 5e a try for a bit and see how it compared, but in the absence of this, they're all enjoying the play of the game and not having to worry about crazy math disparities between same-level characters or encounters where everyone feels so static in their movement, placement and special abilities, and I've gotten a game whose dynamic encounter flow feels a lot like the excitement my other group has gotten from 5e. The core system is scratching their itches, and I'm getting a system I'd be as happy to play as to DM, which at this point I can say neither about PF1 above about 9th level, so for me it's win/win.

BryonD

Hero
If you have multiple pages of house rules, to me that's kind of the opposite to "I Like PF1 as-is." :) It also sounds like for your personal journey you did try at least one other system before coming back, and as you note below it feels like time for a change.
Meh, I don't know. Do you think swapping regeneration is a hit against the system? I really like engine and the chassis, I just like to redecorate.
I mean, I probably hate the idea of Diablo "runes" more than I dislike the +level. But it is a no-brainer to me that you could swap that out in a heartbeat.
I can also instantly fix +level to skills.
I'm sure I'd have just as many house rules for PF2 on Day 1 as I do now for PF1. That's just me.

I am eager for a change based on length of stay. I don't need it, but I would enjoy it.

Absolutely understandable - however, what you've described definitely fits in the category of someone who would move on from PF1 in a heartbeat if you found an alternative that scratched the same itches. Not knowing [MENTION=9789]evilbob[/MENTION]'s group either (so I'm willing to admit I could be misreading) the initial description from evilbob sounds like a group of people who aren't very ready to move on from PF1, even if they found something that met their needs in a similar way.

Bryon, I know from your posts on the Paizo forums, the +level proficiency bonus is a major deal-breaker for you, and the disconnect arising from it may be one of those things that stops a number of people from enjoying PF2. For our group, it doesn't seem to be a problem for anyone yet, and doesn't look likely to be. I don't favor it myself, but I noticed the #1 thing from our playtest is that, so far, it works extremely well in play to create a unified system that doesn't create any major math discrepancies regardless of level, enough so that I put any reservations on gamism vs. verisimilitude aside. Attacks use the same math as saves which uses the same math for initiative which uses the same math for skills which uses the same math for crafting, which I'm loving; they're getting the clear statification of CLs and special abilities of monsters that PF1 had, which they're loving.
Sure, and I'm not looking to restart those debates here. You know where I stand. I'll just repeat one point: I strongly believe that the oddity of level siloed encounters is something that will gnaw at a lot of people sooner than later, even if it doesn't show up in the first lap.

GreyLord

Legend
Pathfinder Beta ten years ago was like this too. Plenty of things that didn’t make the final product. Obviously the internet has changed over the last ten years and there is a possibility that people will forever be turned off by playtest rules that don’t make the final product. That being said I think your points about complexity are a bit overblown. PF2 is much simpler across the board than PF1. In combat it’s pretty close to being as simple as 5e. Its a different game and yes they can improve wordings in some rule, but it’s actuslly a very simple game to run and adjudicate.

As for Pathfinder and change, well people can play PF1 for howeve long they want, just like people still play 1e, 2e, 3e and 4e. Pathfinder 1 financially for Paizo is a dead game. Starfinder already well outsells it and catering to 3.5 holdouts like your party isn’t going to keep them making money.

Interesting.

Around half a year ago PF 1e was outselling Starfinder on Amazon and regularly was in the top 10 in gaming from what I heard (though it was constantly NOT in the top 3-5, that was ALWAYS D&D 5e).

After the playtest announcement it seems that Pathfinder has fallen through the floor in sales on Amazon. Starfinder, however, has NOT made up the ground. A quick check shows that Starfinder is merely in the top 25 in gaming, with the top ten spots almost exclusively D&D, and even other things such as World of Warcraft stuff are outselling Starfinder.

If we go by Amazon, I'm not sure if Starfinder is actually doing all that great, or at least as great as people are seeming to infer.

darjr

I crit!
E8DF0ED1-BE7E-4473-860C-C901C693F230.jpeg

Kaodi

Hero
Pathfinder worked not just because people wanted to keep playing 3x. It worked because people wanted to keep playing Paizo APs. That is real, important continuity heading into PF2. The rules may be different, but the feel of the APs will be the same. Golarion might not be as old as Greyhawk or Faerun or other D&D settings (other than Nentir Vale) but it easily measures up alongside the classics. I am not very up on my D&D these days: what adventures to they make that measure up to Paizo's?

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Or, for each adventure published, release the PF1 and PF2 encounter stats as PDFs one the web. This way PF1 and PF2 buy the modules for the adventure to get the plot and maps.

The alternative is to walk away from any PF1 sales. On the other hand, some PF1 sales will convert to PF2 sales. The ultimate question is "how many?"

If the intention was to keep supporting PF1 fully forever, then I agree.

I don't know of any firm that creates a new edition of anything with that intention. Therefore I suggested what I did :)

KB

zztong

Explorer
If you have multiple pages of house rules, to me that's kind of the opposite to "I Like PF1 as-is." :)

If I see house rules, I typically conclude that the DM has found the system worthy and is just tailoring things to the needs of their game, but I can see where saying "as-is" would be confusing.

zztong

Explorer
If the intention was to keep supporting PF1 fully forever, then I agree.

I don't know of any firm that creates a new edition of anything with that intention. Therefore I suggested what I did :)

It certainly would be a break from the norm.

It wouldn't surprise me if the goal was to see the PF1 customers migrate to PF2, steal D&D 5e customers, and attract new gamers. The reality is some PF1 will migrate, some wont's and some will flee to other games. Some D&D 5e folks will convert. Some older gamers will get "scraped off" because they're unwilling or unable to change. Some newer players will buy in. My proposal for supporting PF1 was to hedge on that bet and keep some sales from those who don't change.

I base my observation entirely on my local two groups, which is admittedly a small sample.

Game one is a long-term game (decades) with multiple DMs. Converting from PF1 to PF2 would be a disaster. The characters just won't convert without losing lots of their nuance and special sauce. We originally converted from D&D 3.5 to PF1 so that some of the DMs could use/enjoy published APs from Paizo and because it was the same core system. Game one's players do buy rules and supplements, but since the game won't convert to PF2, Paizo won't see any further sales if they walk away from PF1.

Game two has a shorter-term focus, also with multiple DMs. We're playtesting PF2. The players used to want a lot of crunch, but we are discovering that people's tastes have changed. The primary DM is expressing an interest in wanting a simpler system and the PF2 isn't simpler. We all agree that PF2 plays well. We don't all like character generation. Some just aren't interested in change. We took a week to play D&D 5e before the PF2 playtest started and folks were okay with that. Basically, the playtest has put this group in an unsettled state and I don't know where it will end up. Folks like Golarion, but system choice is up in the air. Game two has lots of casual players who don't buy rules or anything. If this game goes with PF2, Paizo will see 2-3 sales, otherwise probably 1 sale since 1 player likes organized play, though the only organized play in town is D&D 5e. That player is a 4-star Pathfinder Society DM, but doesn't have the time to setup PF organized play in town.

Last edited:

houser2112

Explorer
evilbob said:
The elephant in the room, in my opinion, is that the entire concept of changing Pathfinder is an anathema to many (most?) of the people who play Pathfinder. The demographic of people who play PF is generally, by definition, people who didn't want to change. They flocked to 3.75 to avoid 4.0, and if they're still here it's because they didn't like 5.0 enough to switch as well.

That doesn't mean they aren't willing to buy a 3.9 Edition, or something. Not liking 4E or 5E, and thinking that 3.75 is the best option available, does not necessarily mean that the audience is averse to change. It could just mean that they specifically didn't like 4E or 5E.

The really weird thing is the degree to which Paizo seems to be basing the new edition on 4E, which they already know that their audience hates. You'd think that they would try and innovate closer to the mechanics they already had established.

The more I learn about the new system, the more I wonder who they're marketing the game to. 3.x people will only like a system that will deliver the same feel, and full (or close) compatibility would be even better. One that is not compatible at all, takes a hard left turn in design philosophy, and even resembles the system they love to hate, boggles the mind.

Remove ads