Pathfinder 2E biggest issue with PF2 playtest

houser2112

Explorer
Folks like Golarion, but system choice is up in the air.

I have personal experience as a player in a group that played through the Runelords AP using 5E and it worked rather well. ENWorlder Grimstaff was the DM, you might want to hit him up if you wish to know more about how he did it.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm in the camp that loves PF1 (without any houserules), so I will not be switching. Heck, I haven't explored half of the PF1 books (Occult Adventures, Horror Adventures, Ultimate Intrigue), so I still have a lot of ground to explore in PF1.

Frankly, if PF2 ends up looking anything like the playtest, I think they're going to split their market too much for PF2 to be more successful than PF1. (Though maybe it doesn't have to be.)

Last edited:

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Frankly, if PF2 ends up looking anything like the playtest, I think they're going to split their market too much for PF2 to be more successful than PF1. (Though maybe it doesn't have to be.)

If so, they can do the New Coke/Coke Classic marketing move and try to go back to supporting PF1 I suppose.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
There will be PF1 holdouts, there have to be!

The calculation for Paizo is that a lot of those people have a lifetime of material won't be buying much more in any case. PF2 caters to those who do want change plus new gamers coming in through 5e looking for a more advanced d&d.

Now, is PF2 currently that game, that is another question.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
There will be PF1 holdouts, there have to be!

The calculation for Paizo is that a lot of those people have a lifetime of material won't be buying much more in any case. PF2 caters to those who do want change plus new gamers coming in through 5e looking for a more advanced d&d.

Now, is PF2 currently that game, that is another question.

I think that the "advanced 5e" crowd are much better off just homebrewing their way to that outcome. The lesson learned from multiple editions that came before is that the further you get from core the lower the profits and the more dissatisfied the customers get.

Better to allow folks the ability to come up with their own stuff or support the process to do so (DMGuild?)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If so, they can do the New Coke/Coke Classic marketing move and try to go back to supporting PF1 I suppose.

Not realistically, no. How much would they have to retread to continue to support PF1? The rules are out there, and a bit bloaty with feats, spell, and character classes. If PF2 ends up being a reach too far (like 4e was for WotC), they'd still be in a position of having to do something to refresh the rules so we'd be well-encouraged to buy again...perhaps dialing in the changes a bit (I still like the 3 action economy, barring anything else being changed) and clarifying as much as they can around the sticky bits in the rules. Sustaining the company on a 10 year old rule set that has probably saturated its likely market isn't going to happen. Some kind of retreading or reissuing will almost certainly have to occur to avoid major layoffs - and they'd still be accused of just making a "cash grab" by obnoxious gamers.

zztong

Explorer
Not realistically, no. How much would they have to retread to continue to support PF1?

As you say, in terms of rules they're probably past the point of no return. But in terms of AP support they could continue.

The unknown, the gamble, is how many people would not go to PF2 if PF1 was still supported and would that lead to lower profits. Similarly, supporting D&D 5e in APs might encourage folks to switch to D&D 5e, slowing sale of Paizo rules.

houser2112

Explorer
The unknown, the gamble, is how many people would not go to PF2 if PF1 was still supported and would that lead to lower profits. Similarly, supporting D&D 5e in APs might encourage folks to switch to D&D 5e, slowing sale of Paizo rules.

I think PF2 will stand or fall on its own merits. If PF1 people deem it good enough to switch to, they will, and if it's not, they won't. As everyone says, there's enough 3.x and PF1 material out there to last anyone (home gamers, anyway; not sure about PFS) a lifetime.

zztong

Explorer
I think PF2 will stand or fall on its own merits. If PF1 people deem it good enough to switch to, they will, and if it's not, they won't. As everyone says, there's enough 3.x and PF1 material out there to last anyone (home gamers, anyway; not sure about PFS) a lifetime.

I'd like to think that. I do think that. But I can see how a company like Paizo might strategize differently and that is a reason I can think of why they choose not to release new AP-like content for PF1. Another reason would be they just don't imagine anyone wanting to play PF1 anymore, but that seems ludicrous.

darjr

I crit!
I dunno. I think, but do not know, that PF1 helped sustain sales of 3ed material. If you look at sights like camelcamelcamel you'll see the 3.5 players handbook sales crash right about the same time as the PF1 core book does, in sales. Right about the time of the PF2 announcement. Weird? Yea I thought so but I can't really explain the crash in amazon sales rank of the 3.5 PHB at right about the same time. It doesn't look like the normal "out of stock" kinds of crashes in sales rank, it in fact looks like the curve in decline of sales ofthe PF1 core book.

Remove ads