Birthday (11/23)!

Goodsport

Explorer
birthdaycakeg.gif

52 :(
AEjWEK.gif

Richards

Legend
Well, happy birthday, Goodsport! I'll bet it's not all that unusual for your birthday to fall on Thanksgiving, huh?

Seven years ago (when I was 52), I had just finished reading a Dr. Seuss book to a class of first-graders (it was a tradition, given it was on Dr. Seuss's birthday), and I asked if anybody had any questions. It kind of went like this:

Kid 1: "How old are you?" (The teacher's eyes go wild at her student asking a personal question.)​
Me: "Well, how old do you think I am?"​
Kid 1: "22."​
Me: "Wow, you're my new best friend! Nope, I'm older than 22, but you got the second '2' right." (Another kid raises his hand.) "Yes?"​
Kid 2: "62!" (The teacher looks on, aghast.)​
Me: "Well, that's a lot closer - I'm actually 52. Can you believe that? I'm over half a century old! But 52 is kind of a cool age to be - I'm one year old for every week there is in a year. And I've lived one whole year for every card there is in a deck of cards, if you don't count the jokers."​

The teacher apologized to me afterwards and said I handled it well, but I told her I wasn't the least bit concerned about discussing my age with a bunch of kids. I just thought it was pretty funny that to a first-grader, 22 and 62 are pretty much the same - old!

I hope you enjoy your 52nd birthday!

Johnathan

aco175

Legend
The teacher apologized to me afterwards and said I handled it well, but I told her I wasn't the least bit concerned about discussing my age with a bunch of kids. I just thought it was pretty funny that to a first-grader, 22 and 62 are pretty much the same - old!
That is like when I was trying to talk to the kids about colonial days, back when people had horses and wagons and some of the kids asked if that was like in the 80s.

Goodsport

Explorer
Thank you for the happy birthday wishes, everyone! :)

It’s no fun being old :(, but having this Thanksgiving shortened work-week does ease the pain a bit.

-G

Remove ads