Good RPG Reads?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If you’re looking for RPG products to read, Paranoia products (across all editions) save a lot of the best stuff for the GM.

If you want to read fiction related to the hobby, Rosenberg’s Guardians of the Flame series is a good option. But my personal favorite is Larry Niven and Steven Barnes’ Dream Park series.

aramis erak

Legend
Seconding Paranoia.
Also, if just for reading, the Tales from the Floating Vagabond adventures are a hoot.

The Dune setting books are also good reads, albeit not to the level of the novels.

• Apocalypse World -- the Allen Ginsberg's Howl of RPGs
  • 3e D&D Manual of the Planes -- spins off amazing game ideas like an explosive pinwheel
  • 4e D&D The Planes Above -- not quite as amazing as the above, but still has some super cool ideas in it
  • Hillfolk -- such a different approach to a game, and the line-art and little game snippets are cool to read
  • Glorantha anything -- I have no desire to play in this setting, but it reads fantastically
  • any of the '4thcore' adventures -- brimming with heavy-metal-album-cover vibes, and always inspire cool encounter set-pieces in my head
  • GURPS Horror: The Madness Dossier -- what if the neurolinguistic programming of Snow Crash fame was fleshed out into an RPG setting?
  • any of the World of Adventure for Fate Core mini-games -- pick a genre/setting that sounds cool
  • any of the Shadow of the Demon Lord supplements that seem interesting

yes I made this list by looking at my shelf / my DrivethruRPG, why do you ask? ;)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! While I'd like to think I'm about over this thing, I suspect that's a bit too optimistic (I no longer have a fever, but still can't stop coughing).

Swanosaurus

Adventurer
Get well soon - and then maybe take some additional time to recover and read, if you can, it can't hurt!
If you like horror, I can also highly recommend No Security by Caleb Stokes - a series of system-agnostic cosmic horror adventures set during the Great Depression (cosmic, but without any Lovecraftian elements, it's all original horror mythology).

Here's the PoD edition:

and you can also download all the individual scenarios for free:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Get well soon

Thanks!

- and then maybe take some additional time to recover and read, if you can, it can't hurt!
If you like horror, I can also highly recommend No Security by Caleb Stokes - a series of system-agnostic cosmic horror adventures set during the Great Depression (cosmic, but without any Lovecraftian elements, it's all original horror mythology).

Here's the PoD edition:

and you can also download all the individual scenarios for free:

Oh! That's particularly relevant to me! My relatives - particularly on my dad's side - were cowboys and sodbusters in the Oklahoma panhandle and southwest Kansas during the Great Depression.

Remove ads