Good RPG Reads?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
My birthday was the 8th. On the 9th, I got hit hard with Arcturus COVID and am still down (bad). Some of my birthday presents have started to trickle in (Burning Wheel Gold Revised, El Raja Key Archive) and I have a few more on the way (OSRIC A5, Planet Eris, ORCUS, and some WotC 4e setting guides), but may need more to read in the meantime. Suggestions?

Lancer, maybe? Great setting fluff, plenty of complexity in mecha builds for crunchy though experiments. If you like ORCUS and 4e you'll probably find something to like about Lancer.

I've found both 13th Age and Eclipse Phase 2e entertaining reads.
Seconded, especially 13A's monster books, which are way more than just stat blocks and arguably some of the best MMs ever written. OTOH, there is a second edition in the works, and while it will be backward compatible (something I actually believe when Pelgrane Press says it) you might do some shopping around for bargains since some folks will likely be dumping 1st ed books.

Re: Trapped-in-an-RPG novels, you might also look at Joel Rosenberg's Guardians of the Flame series, which was doing some interesting stuff with "PCs" from the the real world looking at their new surroundings and ditching the grand quest heroics in favor of effecting social change years before that was really a common topic of discussion in actual RPGs. They're pretty decent reads too, although unless you enjoy frustration you might want to stick to the first seven books, which are fairly complete. The last three in the series started up with mostly-new protags and a different story arc and never got completed due to Rosenberg's untimely death. They should be pretty affordable, as they've been collated into compendiums and the original mass market paperbacks are still easy enough to find used for reasonable prices.

Or if you wanted to really go old school, Andre Norton's Quag Keep is a real piece of history - first novel based on D&D and set inGreyhawk, written after she'd played the game with Gary Gygax and with his blessing. Not the best book ever and the D&D connection feels a little shaky in spots, but not terrible either - pretty much the norm for Norton, whose work was competent but rarely outstanding. Avoid the sequel (finished by Jean Rabe after Norton's death) like the plague, though. Also interesting to compare the endings of this one with that of the first Rosenberg book.

Remove ads