Bit more on Dragonlance....

TeaBee

First Post
Which could be a good thing, since WOTC has more resources to make the first book like the FRCS
If that first DragonLance book is like the FRCS, I bet people who don't even know or like DL will be picking it up.

Me, I'll be picking it up because I really love DL.

Ranger REG

Explorer
arcady said:
EDIT: Just read the third post in this thread. If by Sovereign Press producing it we mean that the Sovereign staff has full authorship and creative decision control then it will be a good arrangement.
I don't know. The original authors will not be directly scribing the new DL book but acting as consultants to the project.

As for WotC contributing to the new DL book, I don't mind. Guys like Jeff Grubb were part of the original DL design team. Ultimately it's up to the Sovereign Press folks. Personally, I will feel more comfortable if both Weis and Hickman write one chapter in the core rulebook, in addition to foreword messages.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
From the main page:
"The new Dragonlance sourcebook will be modeled after the Forgotten Realms sourcebook, and is slated for release in Summer 2003. The license that Sovereign Press holds is not the OGL, but is more akin to the Ravenloft license. It will allow for use of D&D mechanics and terminology. The first book will be written by Sovereign Press and produced by Wizards of the Coast, with subsequent Dragonlance supplements produced by Sovereign Press. The Dragonlance Nexus, the official Dragonlance website, will be working with Sovereign Press on the new sourcebook and to provide further online support. Tracy Hickman will also be involved as a consultant for the project."

Sovereign Press will be writing the first book, but WOTC will actually publish it so it gets really nice production value.

Regdar

First Post
Bah in the new year

So much for the "We have no plans for Dragon Lance," from WoTC. Say by to the Soveriegn Stone campaign.

Kesh

First Post
Imperialus said:
as long as it isn't fifth age I'll be happy. If it is, I'll just have to butcher it and make it 3rd or 4th.

From what I read, it seems that the book will include enough info for you to play DL in any age. I have a feeling they'll focus on "6th*"/post-"War of Souls", but include enough for you to play 4th or 5th if you want.

* I think of it as the 6th age, anyway. Not official though.

Imperialus

Explorer
the best campaign I played was in the first war of the lance so if I end up DMing I'll probably set it then. Possibly during the second war but that would be tough to do without constantly running across the actions of the companions.

Irda Ranger

First Post
War of Souls any good?

After that "War of Chaos" and SAGA crap I kinda gave up on DL, which was painful because I loved Chronicles, Legends and that last book so much. Is the War of Souls worth reading?

I imagine that if I DMed in DL I would have the Knights of Takhisis show up and start my own timeline from there.

Irda Ranger

Ranger REG

Explorer
Re: Bah in the new year

Regdar said:
So much for the "We have no plans for Dragon Lance," from WoTC. Say by to the Soveriegn Stone campaign.
Gee, you make it sound like the Sovereign Press broke the "one campaign setting per company" restriction. :p

I doubt they're going to drop Sovereign Stone (both original and d20 rules) and focus on just one product line: Dragonlance.

Dave G

First Post
While I have read a lot of the Dragonlance books and thought they were very well written (at least the ones written by Weiss/Hickman) I have never played in a successful DL campaign.

It could be that has more to do with who's running and playing, have any of you had similar experiences with the game version not meshing nearly as well as the books?

Don't get me wrong, I think this will be a successful product, and I think successful projects like this are great for the industry, it just doesn't get me as excited as other settings. What do you think?

Remove ads