• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bite of the King - worthless?

Gestalt

First Post
In Libris Mortis, the spell Bite of the King is the level 8 spell for the Hunger domain. In summary, you make a touch attack, the target fails a Fort save, and then you basically use Swallow Whole on them.

The way I see it, the spell is a little weaker than Slay Living. It does nothing if they succeed on their save, can't target anyone bigger than the caster, and even a failed save doesn't stop the target from cutting their way out a few rounds later. If compared to Destruction (also level 8) it fares even more poorly.

My hope is that I'm missing something. Are there any good reasons to use Bite of the King, besides the pleasant image of devouring your foes whole?

Sejs

First Post
It's not a [Death] effect. Death Ward, or immunity to Death effects will stop Slay Living and Destruction. It will not stop Bite of the King.

BotK is actually more like Maze than it is Slay Living. It takes your target out of the action and puts them in time-out. Unlike Maze, they get a saving throw, but they can't speed up the escape process by being smart. Also unlike Maze, it does damage to you while you're otherwise occupied within.

Maze is good for controlling big dumb things. No save, and they're not likely to make the DC 20 int check to get out. Bite of the King is good for controlling spellcasters. They're less likely to make the fort save, not likely to be able to do the damage required to escape quickly enough (if at all) and the crushing and acid will generally make short work of them.

StealthyMark

First Post
Sejs said:
Bite of the King is good for controlling spellcasters. They're less likely to make the fort save, not likely to be able to do the damage required to escape quickly enough (if at all) and the crushing and acid will generally make short work of them.
Dimension Door?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads