• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Blade of Disaster -- Too Good?

RuminDange

First Post
Here's an interesting one that my group and I just came across. Since I can't search I don't know if this has been brought up before and I can't find anything the FAQ or Errata.
In Magic of Faerun the spell Black Blade of Disaster states: "it can pass through any magical barrier equal to or less than its spell level, but cannot penetrate dead magic areas or an antimagic field."
Does this mean it ignores a prismatic sphere? If so there there goes the one of the best protection spells around.
Looking for opinions as this seems too good for a 9th level spell along with its other traits.

Thanks,
RD

Sejs

First Post
Yep, it'll go right through a prismatic sphere. Same as a Mordenkainen's Disjunction, or a Limited Wish to make a short-lived dead magic area, or a Sphere of Anhiliation.

As for 'too good for a 9th level spell'. No. No, I think it holds up to other 9th level spells just fine.

gfunk

First Post
RuminDange said:
Does this mean it ignores a prismatic sphere? If so there there goes the one of the best protection spells around.
Looking for opinions as this seems too good for a 9th level spell along with its other traits.

Personally, I thought this spell was rather weak for 9th level. A Mord's Disjunction can take down a Prismatic Sphere *and* majorly screw the mage hiding inside.

Even when the BBoD hits its target, the damage is minimal with a rather low chance of outright disintegration.

ruleslawyer

I actually don't allow disjunction to take out prismatic sphere (IMC, it can penetrate the first six layers, but is stopped at the 7th), and I still think BBoD is underpowered.

IMHO, it should just make touch attacks that have the effect of a disintegrate spell; crits should double the damage dealt on a successful save.

Angcuru

First Post
Re: Re: Black Blade of Disaster -- Too Good?

gfunk said:

Personally, I thought this spell was rather weak for 9th level. A Mord's Disjunction can take down a Prismatic Sphere *and* majorly screw the mage hiding inside.

Even when the BBoD hits its target, the damage is minimal with a rather low chance of outright disintegration.

...to say nothing about Reality Maelstrom.:cool:

zorlag

First Post
-

Using BBoD to pierce Prismatic Sphere is sort of a classic in magical duel, actually. It's cool spell, and not overpowered, unlike some of the 9th level stuff (Gate, Time Stop etc).

Z.

Thresher

First Post
I think it could use a little boosting myself, has been a certain favorite 9th for a long time.
Think in 8 years of playing with one character that uses it a lot (1-2 an adventure over the last 8yrs I can remember) its disintergrated 2 people in that time. The 20 has come up quite a few times but they always seem to make the f-king save!!!

Apart from that, its damage is very, very low, much lower than most 4th level evocation spells and about its only redeeming feature is that it it goes through Prismatics and walls of force.
I think I mostly use it to cut down doors...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads