Black History Month: Black RPG Game Designers

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Inspired by the ongoing thread by @payn involving Black History Month and Musical Artists, I thought I'd start a separate thread with an appreciation of Black contributors to this hobby.

Given that I'd like this to be a thread for people to contribute to, I'm only going to start with two people that should be fairly well-known, and I am hoping that others will add more. Both of these individuals have been acknowledged by induction into the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design Hall of Fame, so here's a quick primer on them-

Michael Pondsmith- The primary developer at R. Talsorian games, he had an amazing and varied career that tracked a lot of the RPG industry in its early days. This included working in the video game industry (for the Apple II). He is primarily known for the Cyberpunk series of games, and was involved in the videogame adaptation Cyberpunk 2077. I honestly can't do justice to his full contributions in a brief blurb, and suggest looking at his Wikipedia Page to get a full overview of his many contributions to the hobby.

Eric Lang- One of the most well-known board-game designers, if you don't know the name you should. Again, look at the list of credits on his Wikipedia Page. He stepped away from his corporate position in 2020 to focus more on activism.

That's two to start with. Please add others in the comments- or, if you have personal stories about either of the two I already started with, please feel free to include those. :)

EDIT- @Voadam points out in Comment #5, below, that DriveThru currently has a Black Creator spotlight.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
The only one I truly know is Louis Porter Jr., of LPJ Design. I created about 5 city maps for him on one project, and I've purchased a few of his PF1 stuff

I take that back - Miguel Colon, who approached me as Michael Ritter, unknown to me at the time was a black, gay man from the Caribbean (he "came out" in November last year). He's been published since, but he helped write some rules for a weird west project setting that I never got off the ground - maybe some day. But I gave him his first writing gig, and he's proving to be an excellent up-in-coming author/game designer.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
My understanding is that Jerry Grayson is the guy behind Khepera Publishing and does a lot of d6 stuff and is responsible for the continuation of the Atlantis setting and RPG (originally from Bard Games in the 1e era and then later revived by Morrigan Press during the d20 era then off to Khepera). The d6 system stuff includes Godsend Mythos/Supers system, Hellas, and his Afrocentric fantasy post-apocalypse Mythic d6 setting Bastion.

D&D is my system of choice but I enjoy the Bastion and Atlantis stuff I have from Khepera.

Noora Rose of Monkey's Paw Games has been working for a while now on this tarot-driven journaling game of knights in Arthurian England, and it's itchfunding now!

Noora's company, Monkey's Paw Games, is also a small publisher/distributor that carries a range of cool indie products for games like Mothership and Old-School Essentials.

Whitney Delaglio of Little Wish Productions is a writer, game designer and artist. Her aquatic roleplaying game Prism is about sensuality, relationships and conflict resolution.

Oops I forgot to mention:

Orion D. Black, a former D&D designer at WotC, best known for the indie games Plot ARMOR and Mutants in the Night.

Brandon O'Brien is a game designer and poet from Trinidad and Tobago whose games include Dream Ablare, a Belonging Outside Belonging game about high school drama and conspiracies.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
Back in the mid 1990's, Mike Pondsmith used to be active in the R.Talsorian forums, in ways that both FFG and WotC forbid.
If you had a rules question, he'd answer it. Then, he started working for Microsoft.

To be honest, I've been aware he was Black since about 1986... but don't recall HOW I came to that info. And it never mattered to me, but did to a couple of friends.

Remove ads