• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Black Ice Well

HalWhitewyrm

First Post
Buried deep beneath the earth, beyond the haunted and malign forest known as the Wormwood, lies Black Ice Well. Once a temple devoted to the Sajaith demon clan, the Well is now a cold and haunted tomb, rumored to be replete with mutant brood and undead horrors. But the greatest terror of the Well is not what guards it, but what they are protecting -- the cremated remains of Shae Mora, the dreaded and legendary vampire dragon who once terrorized an entire Empire.

Now, the secret of what transformed the Well to its current state is about to be revealed. Sammael Mezias Craven, a dark wizard of vast power and endless ambition, has uncovered an artifact that will allow him to take control of Shae Moras liquid remains, the Blood Ice, which legend states still holds potent remains of her vast power. If he is not stopped, Cravens actions will bring terror and destruction to the surrounding lands, and perhaps the world at large. Only a band of the most stalwart and capable heroes stand a chance of preventing this from happening, and to do so they will be forced to travel to the edge of madness.
And beyond…

Black Ice Well is an epic d20 System dungeon crawl designed for 6-8 characters of 13th-14th level.

Simon Collins

Explorer
Beware! This review contains major spoilers.
This is not a playtest review.

Black Ice Well is an adventure from Monkey God Enterprises for 6-8 PCs of levels 13-14.

Black Ice Well is a 104-page adventure coming in at $18.95, fairly standard for its type and size. Font size, margin, and white space are all reasonable. The internal mono art is good, most maps are scaled and have a compass direction where appropriate. The cover art is impressive, with good use of colour, texture, and a sense of movement and tension. Writing style and editing are good, with only occasional errors.

Black Ice Well is essentially a dungeon crawl. At the heart of the adventure is the icy blood of an incredibly evil vampire dragon. The blood itself, seeping out from its central source, has corrupted an entire wood and all who have made it their home. An evil necromancer plans to use the blood of the vampire dragon for his own nefarious ends, not fully realising the danger of his attempt. The PCs must set out to stop him, travelling through the corrupted wood and travelling into a demonic tomb known as Black Ice Well, the source of the vampire dragon's blood. After fighting their way through a small demonic war, avoiding deadly traps, and negotiating with the demonic dragon blood guardians, the PCs should discover the awful truth behind the vampire dragon's blood and find a way to stop its potentially world-shattering evil.

The author makes good use of three sections within each of the locations in the corrupted wood and the demonic tomb. The Tactics section describes the initial plan of attack of the creatures, the Treasure section describes what those creatures have in terms of reward for the PCs should they defeat the monster, and the Development section describes how the creature might react to different PC actions. Each location is given an EL, and there is an EL summary at the beginning of the adventure. The ELs run from 7 to 17, and unlike many other adventures the ELs seem to be about equal to the PCs level, probably reflecting that this is likely to be a fairly combat-orientated adventure (however, there are several locations which state that the EL varies - it should be noted that the ELs of these encounters could be very high and beyond the ability of the PCs to deal with). Indeed, little information is given on any of the NPCs' personality - rather, if there is a chance of interacting with the creature, the author gives the relevant information the creature holds in relation to the adventure with a little bit of historical background and description.

The appendices contain several new creatures and templates (including shadow golems and undead giants). It should be noted that use of psionics is made in the adventure. There are also a few magic items detailed and stat blocks for all the major NPCs and creatures.

The errata section on the MonkeyGod website gives some errata, advice on scaling the adventure, getting rid of psionics, increasing psionics, and full stats for the vampire dragon, Shae Mora.

Conclusion:
A superior dungeon crawl, with plenty of opportunity for combat and skill use, and useful advice to the GM to support this facet of the adventure. Though there is opportunity for roleplaying within the adventure, this aspect is not so well supported. Luckily for the author (and the GM) most of the creatures used here are monsters where the correct application of skill points is not hugely important. Where this is an issue, the author has made mistakes (and the editor has not corrected them), so GMs will have a little work to do to correct these.

If you like demons, and if you like dungeon crawls, I highly recommend this adventure. Its a little weak on the roleplaying side, and may need some work to adjust stat blocks and ELs for some of the climactic encounters, but none of these cripples the overall quality of the adventure for use as a dungeon crawl, which is what it is designed for.

BLACK ICE WELL

CAVEATS
This is a playtest review, conducted over a total of 12 sessions. The review contains extensive spoilers.

OVERVIEW
Black Ice well is a 104-page perfect bound adventure written for “6-8 characters of 13th to 14th level.” The plot involves following a high-level wizard and his band through a blighted forest, into a hill, and then into the Well itself, which is an ancient lair of necromancy-studying demon-worshippers, led by a marilith named Sajai. At the deepest part of this complex, the PCs become embroiled in a 3-way confrontation with Sajai and with the wizard Sammael Craven, whom the PCs are tracking. But before they get there they have to wade through a deadly assortment of foes.

I have no complaints about font size or spacing. The book does print fairly complete stats for all the creatures you may run into at the back, taking up a full 24 pages. Spelling errors are not very frequent, but there are cases where the text is unclear or contradictory, and I feel the general effects of each area (e.g., the Carnivore Mists, or properties of BIW’s stonework, or the Black Blood) could have been better organized, such as in a sidebar.

The art is quite good overall, with excellent drawings in particular of Sajai. The maps are another matter—while readable and accurately keyed, they look amateurish, and it is often hard to gain precise dimensions of rooms when transferring them onto a wet-erase surface for miniature play.

POSITIVES
1. This adventure is advertised as a tough dungeon crawl, and it definitely delivers! Your players will need to be at their peak, and even then you may need to scale things down or start them at higher than the recommended level. And I like an adventure that’s not afraid of killing off the occasional PC.

2. I also liked the potential infighting among the various groups—the slaadi, the followers of the demon Sajai, and the followers of the imprisoned being known as Shae Mora, whom Craven ultimately becomes an agent of. These conflicts add an interesting dimension to the module, especially if the players choose to capitalize on it (mine didn’t to any great degree).

3. The adventure features a number of new and lethal monsters. A few of these I’d tweak the challenge ratings of, most notably the talon beasts, but overall I was happy with them all.

4. The number of planned encounters in the surrounding forest, coupled with the dangers of the forest itself and the wandering monsters there, gives it plenty of variety, and gives the DM an opportunity to pick and choose among the encounters more easily, to set an appropriate pace.

5. The ultimate threat of the adventure, the essence of a vampiric dragon of epic levels named Shae Mora, makes an excellent future menace. And the key that controls her prison is an item too tempting for most parties to wish to try and destroy. Heh heh…

NEGATIVES
1. The module seems a bit disorganized at times. For example, information on the effects of the black blood and the carnivore mists are buried on a page in the middle of the book, and I occasionally wasted game time flipping back and forth hunting it down. Also, some of the writing can be confusing. For example, in describing the temporal variance between the area within the well and outside, the text reads, “PCs age normally in the Well’s accelerated time. PCs who spend 4 days in the Well have still aged 4 days, even though they will discover that the outside world has only seen 16 days pass.” ONLY seen? It seems unclear which way the time shift works. I asked about this on the Monkey God forum, and confirmed that the effect is as stated: for every day that passes in the well, 4 days go by beyond it.

2. As mentioned above in the overview, the maps are manageable, but only barely. There are several occasions where I’d draw a 10-foot-wide corridor from the map, then read boxed text that stated the hall is 15 feet wide. And some of the maps simply don’t match the text—a stairwell is described as circular, but shown as square on the map; the lowest level of the Well shows nowhere for the stairs to enter, and for some reason shows a square area inside a circular room, when it should be the circular top of a sphere in the center of a small square room.

3. I also didn’t care for the lack of mention of psionic use anywhere on the front or back cover, since this is a pretty major sticking point with many potential buyers (including myself). Fortunately, a web enhancement has been made available that details errata for some of the above unclear text passages, and which provide alterations to run the adventure without psionics—or with added psionics.

4. The difficulty level of the adventure is higher than the recommended 6-8 characters of 13th-14th level. I began play with a group of six 14th level characters, and they were frequently dying in the first part of the adventure. When you face a group of a half dozen beings, each of which can do 90+ points of damage easily on a single round of full attacks, even the doughtiest fighters can’t last longer than a couple rounds. Also, many monsters have higher than normal hit points, often 3/4 or more of the maximum allowed for their hit dice.

PLAYTESTING
I have posted a detailed session-by-session analysis of the campaign I ran on the Monkey God Enterprises forum; click HERE to peruse it.

In brief, the first part of the adventure, through the Wormwood, was quite challenging just in the wandering monsters; the group followed the river, and only got lost once, and I used the set encounters flexibly, placing them in their path rather than adhering to the poor wilderness map. Once the dungeon was entered, the party had a lot of trouble through the slaad caves and particularly in the first level of the Well. At about that point I started easing up somewhat on the module difficulty, being more generous in allowing them to back off and rest, and I don’t think I ever rolled for wandering monsters after level 1. The group continued, and their only other fiasco was solving a riddle near the end that I thought was pretty easy; they ended up solving it mostly through guesswork, and lost the bulk of their party before they got the right combination. In the final encounter, the two remaining characters maintained a low profile as much as they could, then used the scrolls provided to deal with Sajai.

CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS
At the end of the adventure, 12 sessions from the beginning, the players were high-fiving each other after defeating Sajai, with only two characters left standing at that point. That in my book is the sign of a successful adventure. I would have liked the module to be a more polished, but I heartily look forward to Steve Montano’s next work for Monkey God—the high level adventure Hellstone Deep. For the $18.95 cover price, I think I definitely got my money’s worth on this one, and would recommend it to anyone who fancies challenging dungeon crawls with an emphasis on combat and battle, and doesn’t mind putting in some work to fix some of the problems. Strategist players should also enjoy this, but people looking for a lot of roleplaying and plot…well, it’s a dungeon crawl, and you’d be better served looking elsewhere.

If you do run this adventure, keep the following points in mind:

1. Due to the extreme level of difficulty, I recommend starting PCs at 15th or even 16th level to have a good chance of survival.

2. Almost all of the monsters have higher than normal hit points—often 3/4 or more of the maximum allowed their hit dice. Because of this, I would bump up the CR of most enemies by a point or two. I would also increase the CR of the talon fiends by 2 points, as any creature that can inflict the kind of damage they deal out should be higher than CR 10.

3. Don’t bother using the wilderness map to determine encounter locations; just place the encounters before the PCs as they progress towards the center of the forest, or roll them randomly.

4. Remember the effects of the black blood of Shae Mora, the carnivore mists, the limits on teleportation, the Wormwood insanity effect, and in particular the temporal jarring that takes place whenever PCs leave the Well itself.

5. Prepare a spell list for the wandering monster nagas if you intend on using them!

Fearsome Monkey

First Post
Thanks Damien. I must say you are correct about the CRs. Folks should take head of your advise regarding levels. You may like to hear that (thanks to your input on BIW)Hellstone Deep has undergone some additional playtesting and has had its recommended level upped to 18-20. It's another serious dungeon crawl with three different adventure locations and loads of very nasty enemies. Also, we have given up on our compter generated maps so all the Hellstone maps are hand drawn by Craig Zipse.

B.T.W. thanks for posting the session results - it was truly a pleasure reading them. I'm glad everyone had fun.

David Hurd

Remove ads