D&D 5E Blade Pact Warlocks and Conventional Wisdom

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I like to reflavor the staff in that build as either a longsword or spear, that has been wreathed in Eldritch energy.

I have also used EB and crossbow expert to make an Eldritch Monk. Fun times.

That is very cool. I have made a decision. Frankly, it was something I had not figured out until just now.

I do not have to go Tome lock to get Thaumaturgy. I am going to take (against all predictions I made before!) magic initiate for cleric.

My warlock was an acolyte so it is kind of cool and fits. However, he has an 8 wisdom and was swayed by a fallen angel!

I am going blade pact afterall. I will take EB with repelling blast (going to ask if it can be invisible so as to seem like the using the Force to shove people!).

I gleaned many cool (not optimized) straight blade pact ideas. The whole magic initiate/cleric with and 8 wisdom was unanticipated. I am thinking about some spell like detect magic that is flavorful but not reliant on wisdom. We shall see how this shakes out!

Mephista

Adventurer
I'm just going to disagree. You're making a huge assumption about design intent with zero evidence, and then stating it as a fact. And you assumption contradicts what limited empirical information we do have, i.e. EB just does work a lot better than not EB and the original warlock was built around EB spam.
I think you're talking about yourself there. The only statement I made is that E.B. is a choice. And it literally is. You have to choose to take it. Its not an univerasal class feature. That is pretty much as hard fact as you can get.

Everything else I said was calling BS on your statement. You are the one with the proof of burden here. You are the one who disdained not taking it as crazy.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
That is very cool. I have made a decision. Frankly, it was something I had not figured out until just now.

I do not have to go Tome lock to get Thaumaturgy. I am going to take (against all predictions I made before!) magic initiate for cleric.

My warlock was an acolyte so it is kind of cool and fits. However, he has an 8 wisdom and was swayed by a fallen angel!

I am going blade pact afterall. I will take EB with repelling blast (going to ask if it can be invisible so as to seem like the using the Force to shove people!).

I gleaned many cool (not optimized) straight blade pact ideas. The whole magic initiate/cleric with and 8 wisdom was unanticipated. I am thinking about some spell like detect magic that is flavorful but not reliant on wisdom. We shall see how this shakes out!

If all you want is Thaumaturgy, you could be a Tiefling. They get the cantrip as a racial ability. And they make excellent warlocks - I have a lvl 13 Tiefling Warlock (Fiend Patron, Pact of the Chain) and she's been a lot of fun. (She refers to her Patron as "Grandfather" because family lore states that he was the one who started their family line.)

Warpiglet

Adventurer
If all you want is Thaumaturgy, you could be a Tiefling. They get the cantrip as a racial ability. And they make excellent warlocks - I have a lvl 13 Tiefling Warlock (Fiend Patron, Pact of the Chain) and she's been a lot of fun. (She refers to her Patron as "Grandfather" because family lore states that he was the one who started their family line.)

Well, I do think a future character will be a tiefling. However the "reverend" is human. just the way he is! I imagine him like the old picture of a cleric doing detect magic in the mentzer red box complete with puritan looking clothing and terrible haircut!

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Nice thing about that choice is that you not only get Thaumaturgy, but you can take Guidance too!

excellent recommendation. I think I will take that with Thaumaturgy as well as detect magic or divine shield.

So pumped I got the concept down. The mechanics are good enough but the roleplay is going to be great too (actually the best part).

Corwin

Explorer
excellent recommendation. I think I will take that with Thaumaturgy as well as detect magic or divine shield.
Check out Protection from Evil and Good. Very cool spell. Not only thematically cool, but also quite beneficial in a lot more situations than I believe people think.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
Check out Protection from Evil and Good. Very cool spell. Not only thematically cool, but also quite beneficial in a lot more situations than I believe people think.
Damn choices!

ha! Yeah his poor wisdom (explaining his fall into warlocking) would not diminish its effect. Fits the theme too. Acolyte devoted to good but not talented at cleric. An "angel" helps him become more competent...he thinks he is still doing h right thing but the angel is a fallen angel. Voila fiend patron for an unwise acolyte...

ccs

41st lv DM
Well, I do think a future character will be a tiefling. However the "reverend" is human. just the way he is! I imagine him like the old picture of a cleric doing detect magic in the mentzer red box complete with puritan looking clothing and terrible haircut!

As a human, make sure you take Light as one of your cantrips. Unless you plan to pick up devil sight.... Maybe even then.
Even though you could just as easily carry torches/lanterns/rely upon other party members....

Warpiglet

Adventurer
As a human, make sure you take Light as one of your cantrips. Unless you plan to pick up devil sight.... Maybe even then.
Even though you could just as easily carry torches/lanterns/rely upon other party members....

I agree. I am struggling with which way to go with this. I could take light...but hate to use up a magic initiate cantrips. Plus the darkness of the character suggests devil's sight would fit better. I am traveling with a mixed group so torches and such should be there but I like the creepiness of a human equally at home in dep shadows!

Remove ads