• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Blade Ward cantrip

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
In my games, I've updated Blade Ward and True Strike as follows:

Blade Ward
Abjuration cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round
You extend your hand and trace a sigil of
warding in the air. Until the end of your next
turn, you or one willing creature within range
has resistance against bludgeoning, piercing,
and slashing damage dealt by weapon attacks.

True Strike
Divination cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: S
Duration: 1 round
You extend your hand, sensing the odds and
probabilities and bending them in favor of you
and your party. Choose yourself or one ally
within range. Until the end of your next turn, all
attacks made by the target of this cantrip are
made at advantage.

GuyLomBard-O

First Post
Balance options that make it better, but not too good (these are alternatives added to the existing spell):

1.) Make the duration 3 rounds (concentration).
2.) Make the casting time a bonus action, but don't allow it to be cast if you've moved this turn, and have it end if you move.
3.) Make the casting time a reaction based upon being attacked - have it last until the start of your next turn.
4.) As a reaction, you inflict (ability score modifier) radiant damage on an adjacent target that misses you with an attack.
5.) Damage resisted is added to the damage inflicted on one target of your choice that is damaged by the next spell you cast before the end of your next turn.
6.) A target that misses you with a melee weapon must make a Wisdom save versus your spell DC or their weapon flies from their grasp and travels (d4-1) spaces in a random (d8) direction (1 forward, 2 forward and right diagonally, 3 right, etc...)

Those are lots of interesting ideas. I do see some problems with them, though.
1)This certainly works. Maybe a bit too well? What fighter wouldn't give up his action surge for 3 rounds of taking damage like a barbarian, while still using heavy armor and dishing out his battlemaster tricks? I can't see him caring much about it taking concentration (unless he fails that and the Ward goes away). Eldritch Knight 7th level would take it for sure and become a magic-slinging barbarian. Although, yeah...concentration. Still, this seems like a real death-knell for Stoneskin.
2)Similar problems as above. Probably even better for battlemaster, since you don't lose anything important (just avoid maneuvers that use your bonus action) and get cost-free and endless damage resistance. I think this is probably plain OP.
3)Even more OP. Just avoid Riposte, and let the caster behind you know that he's on his own if the baddies flow around you unimpeded.
4)You lost me. How is this Blade Ward? It sounds like an awesome reaction cantrip for when you're all out of Shields and Counterspells, and have nothing to do with your reaction anyway (well, Warcaster I guess. But who runs AWAY from the wizard?). But what's it got to do with damage resistance? Sounds like a Heckish Rebuke.
5)Hmmm. So, my wizard 5 gives up his action when he's cornered by a fighter, takes say 20 HP damage and resists 20, then next turn he smashes the metal-lined tank with a melee-spell-attack-at-advantage Shocking Grasp dealing 2d8 + 20 damage before running off without an Opp Attack? All without burning a spell slot to save himself? Guess that fighter won't try that again! Seriously, the wizard comes out of that a little too well off in my opinion without having to cast a real defensive spell (Mirror Image/Misty Step/Shield/Whatever). Sounds, maybe...a little too good? Personally, I think casters are a bit too good in combat as it is. I'm old school like that.
6)Huh. Think I kinda like that. Maybe a Str save, though?

Anyhow, some cool ideas. Yours are way more creative and better than any idea I have on the subject. But I think many others have said it before: b/s/p resistance (including magic weapons, apparently) is pretty powerful. Letting somebody have it endlessly and without cost as a cantrip needs to have some serious drawbacks like the current Blade Ward, or it's way too easy to make it OP.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
What about a reaction casting time (when taking damage from an attack) to give yourself resistance to nonmagical B, P, and S damage against that attack. It competes a little with shield but is less useful since it only applies to a single attack. Some might think it takes away from the rogue's uncanny dodge (or is it called evasion?), however, that applies to any damage so bladeward is less powerful, but still useful.

I think the Blade ward spell was designed with the Eldritch Knight in mind.
He can cast it and still make a weapon attack as a bonus action.

In a higer level game I saw the Eldritch Knight used it in the following way:
Cast blade ward move past enemies taking oportunity attacks but blade ward is there to reduce damage.
Make your single bonus action attack against the person you realy want to fail a save.
use action surge and teleport 30 feet
then cast a spell.

devincutler

Explorer
Regarding True Strike, it seems to me the cantrip is very useful as an opener when the caster has set up an ambush. All of the high elf scouts in my campaign have it and it makes them truly dangerous if they are hiding in the forest in an ambuscade. At low level combat, gaining advantage on a first strike can be absolutely devastating. PCs can use it situationally when they are about to kick in a door.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Regarding True Strike, it seems to me the cantrip is very useful as an opener when the caster has set up an ambush. All of the high elf scouts in my campaign have it and it makes them truly dangerous if they are hiding in the forest in an ambuscade. At low level combat, gaining advantage on a first strike can be absolutely devastating. PCs can use it situationally when they are about to kick in a door.
If it's an ambush, the casters are going to have advantage anyway from being hidden.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Not if they are spotted. I'd still take the True Strike. It doesn't cost anything to cast pre-battle.

It costs you your concentration. That's quite a cost for an advantage you're probably already going to have.
It also requires being in such a position to cast that you're also giving them more time to spot you.

Remove ads