D&D 5E Bladesinger Multi-Class : Rogue or Monk

Cael Immortalis

First Post
Following our first session, I've got the opportunity to rebuild my character having just hit level 2, and am trying to think of his future build.
He's a Wood Elf Wizard, with the intent to become a Bladesinger and as there is another wizard in the group I am thinking of dipping into either Monk or Rogue at a fairly low level to both make him more distinctive and enhance his damage and his mobility (and in the case of Rogue, utility).
Stats are point-buy.

Combat Role will be skirmishing primarily, focused on burst damage to take down squishy foes, switching to disruption and soft control against tougher, high hit-point opponents. Spell slots will probably go on defences (shield/absorb elements) and soft control/disruption at least initially.
Out of combat, aside from the general usefulness of Ritual Magic (which both wizards will have), my character is the only one with thieves tool proficiency, so also the group's resident sneaky-one amongst barbarians and clerics.

The game will not be going to level 20, and unlikely to reach level 10, so preserving capstone abilities, spell mastery, etc, is not a concern and easily available and interesting abilities are a priority.

My thoughts on the synergies are:
Monk speed boost + Bladesong + Longstider + either Dash or Disengage from Step of the Wind or Cunning Action is hard to match for battlefield positioning, which goes well with Booming Blade and various spells (Earth Tremor/Thunderwave/etc).
Sneak Attack combines very nicely with Booming Blade and Find Familiar. Mobility Feat would add to this even more.
Martial Arts gives it's own version of Two-Weapon Fighting, even if the damage is only D4, that's still another creature that can't attack you. Combos well with Haste and in theory Flurry of Blows could end up with 5 attacks at level 7 (one per ki point whilst hasted). Eventual Song of Victory makes each of this 5 attacks add both Dex and Int to damage, but that's a long way off and unlikely to ever be reached by this character.
Unarmoured Defense means no need for Mage Armour and combines with Bladesong to give good AC even without gear (items found are very random and not PC-customized)
Lots of ways to use Reactions to defend vs any specific type of attack (AC targeting (Shield), ranged (Deflect Arrows), elemental (Absorb Elements))
Considering Monk of the Long Death (for Temp HP) or Kensai (to be a Bladesinger with a Longsword) for Monk subclasses and/or Assassin/Arcane Trickster for Rogue.

Point Buy, so currently thinking along the lines of:
Str 8, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 15, Wisdom 14, Cha 8
Mobility at 4 (goes very well with Booming Blade), Dex + Int to 18 and 16 at 8 (or the other way around)

I'd have liked to get some charisma in there, but alas there simply aren't the points.

Which of these four subclasses fits best with the Bladesinger and why? Are there any obvious things I've overlooked?
I'm aware that I am probably slightly better off, mechanically, as a High Elf, but that is not an option (though switching to half-elf might be- would lose Longbow proficiency though).

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions
Cael

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
If you plan on being a Bladesinger MC character, then I favor (Arcane Trickster) Rogue over Monk. Even if you are not playing a long-game past 10th level, the Rogue synthesizes better for a Bladesinger MC than the Monk, and you can also get Expertise in your Thieves' Tools. But also keep in mind that most AT/BS builds also favor having more Rogue levels than Bladesinger ones, as most people recommend just staying a Wizard if you are already a Wizard.

Remove ads