• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bladesinger Preview!

The character was killed in the first few posts. My first thought was a Swordmage too. In fact why can't another version of Swordmage have these abilities?

Oh well, back to the number crunchers.

shamsael

First Post
Everything, except your "dailies" doesn't care if you use a sword or not. The at-wills specify one-handed melee weapons with the off hand not wielding shield or weapon.

So implements (that aren't... weapons), would work in the off-hand. Arguably, couldn't you use a weapliment in that off-hand too (as long as you aren't wielding it as a weapon)? So when you use a "daily", switch hands. I don't remember there being a rule that you can't do that (I mean isn't that how dual implement users work it?).

Can't you figure a way to get proficiency in holy symbols or ki foci, which don't have to be held to be used?

ceiling90

First Post
I wasn't sure on that weapliments thing, I mean theoretically a Wizard staff is a Quarterstaff, that can be held one handed as an implement, but two handed as a weapon. So there's some strange loopholes in terms of weapons as implements and whether wielded as a weapon or an implement; since you're still holding something in the off-hand.

As for Ki Foci or Holy Implements, couldn't you just take the MC feats (I think the Assassin one gives ki foci, and I don't remember any for holy implement use); on the same token, are Totems supposed to held? I think there's some MC feats for getting totem implements.

1of3

Explorer
As for Ki Foci or Holy Implements, couldn't you just take the MC feats (I think the Assassin one gives ki foci, and I don't remember any for holy implement use); on the same token, are Totems supposed to held? I think there's some MC feats for getting totem implements.

Note that the rules for MC implements were changed again after Essentials. Now you either are proficient with an implement or you are not. Restriction to class and paragon powers is gone.

So Cleric, Paladin and Avenger offer Holy Symbol just fine. Monk and Assassin offer ki-Focuses.

Totems must be held.

now that we have a class poatching other classes powers...can we see new design space there?

Archavist: can take cleric or invoker encounters... then have there own at will and daily powers...

or maybe a class that at level 1 chooses a path...

Samari: there own at wills, and choose at 1st level eaither fighter or warlord and can take those encounter powers

When arcane power came out there were no subclasses yet, and the tomb implment was given to all wizards...now does that extend to all subclasses?

Not necessarily. Subclasses have the same power list and meet the same prereqs as the 'base' class (so a Mage IS a Wizard for all rules purposes). However, a subclass doesn't have all the class features (or actually any of them by default) of the base class. In fact as of now there is technically no such thing as a character that is just a 'Wizard', you would be a Wizard (Arcanist), or a Wizard (Mage), or a Wizard (Bladesinger). Since proficiency with implements is a class feature Bladesinger doesn't 'inherit' any implement proficiencies from Wizard, because Wizard is now an empty shell class that has no class features (they all belong to Arcanist now).

So, no, out of the box a Bladesinger can use wands, period. You can use Arcane Implement Proficiency to get access to other types of implements. Of course you don't have implement mastery either, for the same reason, so there's not a lot of difference between implements for a Bladesinger, though you might get access to a specific enchantment you want.

Remove ads