BLEB1: Beer Run (stonegod - Designated Driver)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Lamont takes the gold and shakes Mardigan's hand. Soon an old but serviceable mule is brought forth, attached to the wagon, and handed over.

Everyone has about an hour and a half to kill before the agreed meeting up time. Let me know if there are any other plans while in town.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The others impatiently wait for Kenn to get down with his business, but the old man keeps the man busy with constant imprecations on the "value" of seemingly common scrap. The coot constantly complains of chest pains, boils, or mental duress when Kenn points out the questionable quality of much of the merchandise, though he finds some quality chain which could be used to tie down the barrels, a surprisingly well-maintained heavy crossbow from early in the War, and a few nick-knacks of Cyran origin that would only have sentimental value to one from that forlorn nation.

[Chain is standard price for the length, the x-box costs half as much as a mwk x-bow (though its treated as a normal) but might be sold for more if the right buyer could be had, and the Cyran artifacts come in a set for 25gp]

During this time, Kenn does gather that the road north to Alechester has had some problem with bandits of some sort---some of the larger caravans have come upon wreckage of smaller groups. No survivors. The Karnn authorities have not yet investigated for unknown reasons, and the Houses are treating it as an internal Karnnathi matter.

[Moving things along]

After an hour impatiently waiting, the others finally catch sign of Mardigan, Kuther, and Kenn with a rickety cart and old mule. Apparently, its your ride.

Patlin

Explorer
Rio quickly confirms that everyone is ready, and the group sets off to claim the magic beer.

Why do I get the feeling it'll be harder getting back to Sharn than it was getting here?

ajanders

Explorer
stonegod said:
...though he finds some quality chain which could be used to tie down the barrels, a surprisingly well-maintained heavy crossbow from early in the War, and a few nick-knacks of Cyran origin that would only have sentimental value to one from that forlorn nation.

[Chain is standard price for the length, the x-box costs half as much as a mwk x-bow (though its treated as a normal) but might be sold for more if the right buyer could be had, and the Cyran artifacts come in a set for 25gp]

During this time, Kenn does gather that the road north to Alechester has had some problem with bandits of some sort---some of the larger caravans have come upon wreckage of smaller groups. No survivors. The Karnn authorities have not yet investigated for unknown reasons, and the Houses are treating it as an internal Karnnathi matter.

Kenn eyes the chain for a moment, but it's really pointless. The chain would hold, but the bolts would splinter out of the cart if any strain was put on the whole assemblage. The crossbow is overpriced, though the talk 'no survivors" makes him consider it more strongly than he ordinarily might.

And then...

Oh. My. Gawd.
Eyes slitted, Kenn begins to stalk his prey.
How did they get here?
Long tapered fingers shake slightly as they reach for the box.

Perfect. Just as they were on parade.
The Silver Tower Guards stand at stiff attention, great swords held at precise vertical before their faces.
Each guard, in scale, at least six feet tall.
The handlebar mustaches are precisely sculpted. The heron feathers on their crests almost seem to wave in an enternal wind. Every scale of the armor is sharp and clear.
The bugler's curled signal horn is silver plate. The standard waves in the same breeze that stirs the crest. The captain's mouth is open, calling orders.

Kenn closes his eyes for a moment and feels

..warm sun, the spice of Father's aftershave...drums! trumpets! Uncle Magnus at the left van of the Silver Tower Guard, winking as Kenn shouted his six year old lungs out...

"Yep!" the old man cackles in his ear. "Toy soldiers. Don't know who's they were, but that don't matter. "

"The Silver Tower Guard." Kenn tells him distantly.
"One of the orginal Cyran regiments from before the war. My uncle was six feet tall and he could hold the sword with one hand, but he always hated the mustache he had to grow. He got food caught in it all the time."
Kenn brings the soldiers out into the light, admiring the sea blue of the cloaks.
"The herons are a symbol of faithful guardianship. The upright swords show the Guards would never fall or falter."

Suddenly Kenn remembers he is in Karnath and feels the cold is in his bones. He lets the old man replace the models in their box as he wraps his long coat and red scarf tightly around him.

Twenty-five galifars. Figures.

"I will be back. I see you know not to break up the set."

Leaving the shop, Kenn rejoins the group as Rio is getting them organized.
"Eyes bright, paladin. There's bandits in the woods."

Patlin

Explorer
Rio's eyes do in fact brighten at the mention of bandits.

"We can only hope that they'll be so foolish as to attack us, and not await some poorly defended caravan. Unfortunately, I don't think actively seeking them out would be within the terms of our mission for Brews. Perhaps the host will choose to defend the innocent by breaking these bandits upon us, though. We can hope."

ajanders

Explorer
Kenn smiles grimly.
"With our luck, they'll take us for the bandits."
He indicates the varied and heavily armed group.

"Let's make sure all our papers are spandy-nice and in neat little folders we can present to anyone who's interested. I understand the Karnathi army is always recruiting and we'd all like to stay civilian here, eh?"

(Seriously, my understanding is that Karnath is a mix of all the unpleasant parts of Russian history: Stalinist oppression + boyar brutality+ peasant xenophobia. We'll be really convenient scapegoats for anything anybody wants to scape.)

Kenn heads for the local constabulary to say hello and get any travel permits, cart licenses, visas, weapons permits, or anything else he needs. He also wants to press the flesh with some of the people to make sure they remember his name and that he's a law-abiding chap who shouldn't be executed.
This won't help with being killed while resisting arrest, of course, but every little bit helps.

Remove ads