• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blind Beholders

phillipjp

First Post
What happens when a Beholder is hit with a blindness spell?

a) it is blind, as per the 100% concealment rules, but can still fire its eye rays -- IF it manages the listen check and 50% miss chance.

b) only one of its eye stalks, or the central eye, is disabled; but the rest can still fire away until they are targeted as well.

c) the PC's high-five themselves for completely nullifying a powerful, high level monster with a 2nd level spell.

Taloras

First Post
Definitely a. if a normal person gets hit with blindness, is only one eye affected? Id say that everyone has total concealment. He gets the normal penalties of blindness. His eye rays still work, but hes gonna find it very hard to aim.

Xarlen

First Post
I would say like the others have: The beholder is fighting invisible opponents. Or, all his eyes are closed (50% miss chance, has to locate target, etc).

Here's one for you: A Medusa with a lazy eye.

Oh definately blinded

Phillip, yes, I'd rule that the Beholder is blinded and suffers from the 50% miss chance. Of course, it wouldhave to make a listen check to see if it could even find the characters.

But then again, I think you need to take it easy on your players. One is dead, another has been turned to stone and things look really grim:D

-Warlord-

First Post
I'd say the blindness spell wouldn't effect the central eye, as it's antimagic.

That would mean the creature would still lose sight in the eyestalks, meaning one could sneak up on it from behind (effectively negating their +4 on spot and search, and allowng them to be flanked again.)

The blinding wouldn't stop the eyestalk from shooting their rays though, but the beholder would have a hard time hitting anything behind him (50% chance if it guesses correctly).

Still, even a blinded beholder is a power to be reckoned with.

Orco42

First Post
I blinded my first beholder at this years Gencon. I was fully expecting your option A. But I was suprised when the DM said it nullified all of the eyes. I love it when I get a DM that will give the players the edge when he does not know the rules. ;)

Corlon

First Post
phillipjp said:
What happens when a Beholder is hit with a blindness spell?

a) it is blind, as per the 100% concealment rules, but can still fire its eye rays -- IF it manages the listen check and 50% miss chance.

b) only one of its eye stalks, or the central eye, is disabled; but the rest can still fire away until they are targeted as well.

c) the PC's high-five themselves for completely nullifying a powerful, high level monster with a 2nd level spell.

oooo, me me *raises hand*: C, except when the the PCs hive five eachother the beholder uses a listen check to pinpoint them, and then targets all his eye rays with disentigration spells, causing the caver they are in to collapse even if they miss:D

Or the beholder makes the save and...

Remove ads